Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harley vs Indian. This is going to be fun to watch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harley vs Indian. This is going to be fun to watch!

Lol....as a matter of fact I did "dream of owning a Polaris when I was a kid"! Lol....when I was 15 I bought a TX250 Polaris snowmobile....boy I loved that machine!
    As for dreaming of a Harley...well my feelings on that are well documented here...

Harley is making a huge mistake imo trying to go toe to toe in an advertising fight with Indian.

The gloves are coming off in the American v-twin market, with the Harley-Davidson loyalists asking if you really want to own a Polaris motorcycle.

No signature

Really goes to show who they think the target audience is.
    Apparently morons.

HD pretensions are sickening at the best of times.
    They really have balls though!
    USA USA USA!
    il_794xN.1426571042_9grv.jpg
    Last edited by Cipher; 02-18-2020, 05:40 PM.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
      I don't own a HD, I've never wanted an HD. Having said that if it weren't for HD riders, I'd be virtually alone on the highways and back roads of New England. I find it hard to criticize the only other players on the field.
      I hardly (no pun intended) know anyone that rides a Harley. And I have a ton of riding buddies.
      No signature

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
        I don't own a HD, I've never wanted an HD. Having said that if it weren't for HD riders, I'd be virtually alone on the highways and back roads of New England. I find it hard to criticize the only other players on the field.
        My comment is clearly an attempt to mock the Madison Ave weasels that concocted the dreadfully foolish ad.
        Harley is insulting its own clientele with this one.

Yah see they love to claim unbroken continuity to the point where they conveniently forget the AMF years.
        They are an ad company hocking motorcycles
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I have owned 3 Victory motorcycles and when I travel and rent, I always grab an Indian. My experience with both brands are all positive. The Victory bikes I have owned were problem free and I would buy another without hesitation. My last Victory was a 2012 Cross Roads....loved it.

I have only owned one Harley, a 2002 Sportster Custom. Very cool looking bike and fun to ride for a couple miles, but no fun to put miles on. I understand there have been some improvements since 2002.

Over the years I have been tempted to pick up a Harley, but others have always won out.

Everyone into HD's is aware of Polaris AKA Victory/Indian...…..I think the ad is spot on and needed by HD.

Comment

Huge improvements since 2002. Rubber mounted powerplant, fuel injection, pretty sophisticated electronics. The SuperLow gets more sporting size wheels and tires.

There is something special about a Harley. Yeah, the MoCo manages to tap into this better than most companies can, but if it weren't there, they wouldn't be able to draw it out. I love my Sportster and have zero problem doing 4-500 mile days on it. Most charismatic, enjoyable bike I've had in decades.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Actually... Yes. It being a Snowmobile or Wheeler. With Trevor I spent more time thinking about getting something like that over any HD when I was kid.

One of my dream bikes is an Indian... No HD but yes... A Polaris.

As for HD I tried with the Street-Rod and Sportster. Just so sub par compared to my (not so anymore) New Bonneville T120. Planning my cross country trek with it this year and am excited to have a motorcycle with ABS, TCS, Cruise, Heated grips that yields 55-60mpg on a 1200cc 6-speed lump. The Triumph is not 100% reliable no but it offers 100% of the personality your looking for in a modern classic 2 cylinder motorcycle. I got hat feel from HD so yeah HD offers a unique riding experience but you can find it in other brands. Get after it and still does low 3's 0-60. Nothing a HD could do. Sad my Standard T120 is faster than my XR1200 "sport"ster was. What I wanted and promised by HD was utlimtley delivered by Indian about a year after I bought the T120. AS I do intend to ride the T120 until it doesn't anymore I want a pure weekend bike and boy oh boy after seeing and riding one; the FTR 1200 tickles my fancy and flexes the American muscles at the same time!

Truth is 2019 was another huge hit to the American MC market. They only bikes that seem to be selling well are the ones selling bikes at low prices and good value... Watch out for Royal Enfield there... They sold out twice of RE interceptors 650's last year...

HD lost it's 50% market share in 2017 and the number drops steadily for them. The liveware was a bust. They are chasing Polaris now with the water-cooled twins coming out now next year (they keep getting pushed back). I have no interest.
              Last edited by Jedz123; 02-19-2020, 01:07 PM.
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
              Originally posted by Hayabuser
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I knew I'd be pretty much on my own in this regard. I've put 5,000 miles on the Sportster and it only gets better. I can't find anything historical or aesthetically pleasing about that "Indian," though Triumphs are still interesting in my mind, along with BMWs.
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                  I knew I'd be pretty much on my own in this regard. I've put 5,000 miles on the Sportster and it only gets better. I can't find anything historical or aesthetically pleasing about that "Indian," though Triumphs are still interesting in my mind, along with BMWs.
                  I feel the same way with the 45K miles I've put on my Bonneville. If it didn't have the reliability issues in the first season it would have been the best damn motorcycle I've owned. If it holds up to the +30K miles season I have planned for it this year... It will wear that crown of best bike I've ever owned.

Really happy for you having a motorcycle you love! Glad you found a bike that works well for you! Taken me years to find that after my first FZ1.

Cheers!
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Stopped by my Indian dealer today...asked how sales were going....they told me they took 6 Harley's on trade this week alone! Lol..
                    No signature

Comment

The last couple of years I have seen a huge spike in Indians at Daytona bike week. Still mostly Harley's but It's funny to see the guys with the bar and shield tattoos on their arms but they are riding on a brand new Indian motorcycle.

FTR is on my short list. The Challenger says something to me too. I'm not a cruiser guy so that the turnoff. My Buddy who bought a FTR1200 loves his and he will likely NEVER buy a traditional HD.

Oh Levatich got canned today... About time, the company is at an all time low in a booming economy. True the MC industry isn't very good right now but even compared to rivals, HD is just getting their doors blown off.

Harley-Davidson Inc. is starting the week in search of a new boss, seeking someone who can stem years of declining sales at the iconic American motorcycle maker just as it’s starting to roll out some new products.

Matt Levatich, Harley-Davidson president and CEO, has stepped down from his roles leading the world's largest manufacturer of heavyweight motorcycles.
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Another fun fact...the own the BMW/Ducati dealer...and recently purchased the Triumph dealer where they added the Indian line. My buddy says what a difference in customers! He says at the bmw/ducati dealer customers come in prepared, they have done their homework and know what they want....contrast to the Indian (old Harley customer) that really has not done their homework...and he says they get their credit declined 60% of the time! Lol.....shopping for an expensive toy with bad credit....classic!
                        No signature

Comment

The lesson I learned for 2020: If you have to finance, than you can't afford it. Delay pleasure and save your coins. Having no monthly payments is the best thing I've discovered to date.
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                            The lesson I learned for 2020: If you have to finance, than you can't afford it. Delay pleasure and save your coins. Having no monthly payments is the best thing I've discovered to date.
                            Personally I don't have a problem with financing something....I just think it's incredibly irresponsible to be trying to buy an expensive toy when you don't chit together.
                            No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                              Personally I don't have a problem with financing something....I just think it's incredibly irresponsible to be trying to buy an expensive toy when you don't chit together.
                              It is irresponsible, I'm with you there! If you can't be ready enough to run your fircken credit report before you walk in the door looking to finance, well... Don't Finance!!! Wasting allot of folks time.
                              I think like all things there is a time where you can use debt strategically, IE house, mortgage. Just like anything use it in moderation!
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                              X