Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harley vs Indian. This is going to be fun to watch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consumer credit is the biggest ripoff ever devised to rid the working class of a future.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
      Consumer credit is the biggest ripoff ever devised to rid the working class of a future.
      It's definitely a very over sold product that seems to penetrate all things these days.
      As stated, Mortgages are great tools for folks to build equity rather than pay rent. Here in Vermont we saved nearly 50% in housing costs from renting to going into a Mortgage payment. We kept the same monthly "payment" in our budget a month, applied the extra to principle and the result is to have our beautiful Vermont home paid for in 3 years time (we also put down a large Down Payment, we are savers).
      We paid off all our debts early February and the cash flow is remarkable. My best advice is to get on a budget, cut up your credit cards and save to buy anything you "need" or "want" and live bellow your means... . I'll be on track to purchase my next MC late this season or early next season in straight cash. At that route I'll likely be either new used stock (2018/2019 models sitting on showroom floors) or more likely; lightly used models from a private seller at a deal for both parties...

Which ties back to the topic... One of the bikes to purchase could be a FTR1200. My buddy who owns one is going to allow me some extended saddle time on his 2019 FTR1200S. It has all the wizardry however if I go the FTR1200 route I would likely get into a standard... Less electronics. I will have less guilt building it out in how I see fit.

The tins are allot like the XR1200, plastics that cover components that can easily be swapped. I would just swap over to maroon tins to acquire that classic Scout color. All going to come down to how I think the bike rides, performs, personality and most importantly the perceived value. The FTR1200 in the flesh is a stunning motorcycle. Can't wait to borrow my buddies for an extended test ride.
      Cheers.
      Last edited by Jedz123; 03-01-2020, 06:45 PM.
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

What a turnout at my Indian dealer today for their open house today! Hundreds of people and had to be a hundred bikes at least! My buddy Bill sure puts on great events....it was also my son Liam's first day on the job. Couple of classic there too.

No signature

Comment

Trevor, I need to get to you island of motorcycles... Bucket list thing to do for sure!!!

Was there any Demo rides?
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
            Trevor, I need to get to you island of motorcycles... Bucket list thing to do for sure!!!

Was there any Demo rides?
            Yep there were groups of demo rides all day! I've never seen so many Harley's...lol
            You are welcome here anytime my friend.
            Last edited by trevor; 03-02-2020, 11:34 AM.
            No signature

Comment

Jedz. I saw the Indian in your videos and wanted to ask you if you got to ride it. Now I know. LOL

Comment

No unfortunately, thats my buddy Wes's bike from the BMW MOA podcast, Chasing the Horizon. We unfortunately ran out of time, he wanted me to do some riding so he could capture pictures but the weather turned.

I was hoping to get down to VA this March but work is nuts so my vacation request was revoked. I'm planning a late April early May run down that way. Wes knows my interest in the FTR1200 and promised a good ride on it.

We will see how it goes!
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

I like to look at some of the Harley's out there on the road, but not very many of them are worthy these days, as the seem to look the same. Most HD riders buy all of their accessories from the HD catalog. It's just repetitive. When we were kids, and saw a Harley we liked, it was because it was truly custon, and you haven't seen another like it. Now when you see one riding down the road, wait 20 minutes, and one just like it will ride by...

I have the want / plan to buy a Victory this season. I'm looking for an '05 (ish) Hammer. '05 is the last year before they put a cat on them. Will be easier (and cheaper) to tune without eliminating emissions crap. ANYWAY, I rode one last year, and they ride like a freaking Cadillac. Quite fast too. The one I rode has the 100" engine. Very nice ride, and look really good as well. I am going to be financing it, solely for the reason of paying it off 2 years early for the credit boost. I am looking to buy a new (to us) house early next year, and need the credit boost for a lower interest rate. I'm not thrilled with the method, but about $600 in finance charges for the bike, will save me THOUSANDS in finance charges for the house in the bigger picture.
                  Last edited by Spyder; 03-03-2020, 12:29 PM.
                  '83 GS 1100T
                  The Jet

sigpic
                  '95 GSXR 750w
                  The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                    I like to look at some of the Harley's out there on the road, but not very many of them are worthy these days, as the seem to look the same. Most HD riders buy all of their accessories from the HD catalog. It's just repetitive. When we were kids, and saw a Harley we liked, it was because it was truly custon, and you haven't seen another like it. Now when you see one riding down the road, wait 20 minutes, and one just like it will ride by...

I have the want / plan to buy a Victory this season. I'm looking for an '05 (ish) Hammer. '05 is the last year before they put a cat on them. Will be easier (and cheaper) to tune without eliminating emissions crap. ANYWAY, I rode one last year, and they ride like a freaking Cadillac. Quite fast too. The one I rode has the 100" engine. Very nice ride, and look really good as well. I am going to be financing it, solely for the reason of paying it off 2 years early for the credit boost. I am looking to buy a new (to us) house early next year, and need the credit boost for a lower interest rate. I'm not thrilled with the method, but about $600 in finance charges for the bike, will save me THOUSANDS in finance charges for the house in the bigger picture.
                    I've been seeing used Victories in the $2500 range, why someone would spend double that for another American made V-Twin amazes me.

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                      I've been seeing used Victories in the $2500 range, why someone would spend double that for another American made V-Twin amazes me.
                      Victory no longer exists for a reason.
                      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post

I have always had a secret love for the Gunner:

So bad ass...

Victory makes some awesome machines. I have heard they are more reliable than HD in allot ways. Faster and handle better too. Looking forward to you posting some new pics of your new bike!!!

Sounds like you are being strategic with debt and that is always a good thing! My wife and I have one last loan to pay (our Mortgage) and once that gets knocked out we will be good on loans. We are looking at buying property in the North East Kingdom in Vermont for a camp but we would do that all in cash. My recommendation is to save up and get into a 15 year fixed. We got into a 30 to get in but the house will be paid in 6 years since purchase... We may roll into a 15 next year just to get more principle on our monthly payment.

Best,
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                          Victory no longer exists for a reason.
                          Polaris was quite strategic, Victory was the test run (and in the beginning they were ROUGH) but over time, they refined and bikes ended up working and selling well... Polaris than bought Indian, used Victory to get that brand off the ground and than Victory went away like any good set of training wheels. Indian is now making decent coin and really nice bikes. Polaris knew from day one the only way to compete with an iconic brand is reviving and exploiting another iconic brand. Ironic since Indian and HD have been rivals since basically forever.

Victory doesn't exist for it was never planned to endure... How "good" business works.
                          Last edited by Jedz123; 03-03-2020, 05:07 PM.
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

True story. They dropped Victory to bring Indian back to the market, again... The first time, they were basically Harley knock-offs, with S&S engines. They were nice, but not "the real thing" in either aspect. They weren't respected as being Indians, and looked down on as being Harley clones. The new Indians, are ALL Indian (Polaris) whatever... My Brother in-law had an '02 Scout. Was a really nice bike. If Polaris would have kept the Victory line, in addition to reviving the Indian name. They would have been WAY over extended. If either one failed, or took a bad turn, they would be out of business, fast...
                            '83 GS 1100T
                            The Jet

sigpic
                            '95 GSXR 750w
                            The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                              Polaris was quite strategic, Victory was the test run (and in the beginning they were ROUGH) but over time, they refined and bikes ended up working and selling well... Polaris than bought Indian, used Victory to get that brand off the ground and than Victory went away like any good set of training wheels. Indian is now making decent coin and really nice bikes. Polaris knew from day one the only way to compete with an iconic brand is reviving and exploiting another iconic brand. Ironic since Indian and HD have been rivals since basically forever.

Victory doesn't exist for it was never planned to endure... How "good" business works.
                              Seems a bit hard on those who purchased Victorys, being left high and dry with no spares backup as a side-blow of a deliberate marketing ploy.
                              Stuff 'em, they're only customers.

There's something wrong with that, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
                              Oh yeah; it stinks.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                                Seems a bit hard on those who purchased Victorys, being left high and dry with no spares backup as a side-blow of a deliberate marketing ploy.
                                Stuff 'em, they're only customers.

There's something wrong with that, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
                                Oh yeah; it stinks.
                                As has been mentioned, the engine (and trans?) where supplied by S&S and as mavens of old bikes we can all get all the used parts we want off fleabay et Al

I wouldn't think twice about buying a Victory, I'm just not in the market for a motorcycle that would be better suited powering a piece of agricultural equipment.

Comment

Working...
                                X