Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harley vs Indian. This is going to be fun to watch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    Victory no longer exists for a reason.
    Wasn't that because Polaris could focus all it's efforts into Indian?
    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
      Polaris was quite strategic, Victory was the test run (and in the beginning they were ROUGH) but over time, they refined and bikes ended up working and selling well... Polaris than bought Indian, used Victory to get that brand off the ground and than Victory went away like any good set of training wheels. Indian is now making decent coin and really nice bikes. Polaris knew from day one the only way to compete with an iconic brand is reviving and exploiting another iconic brand. Ironic since Indian and HD have been rivals since basically forever.

Victory doesn't exist for it was never planned to endure... How "good" business works.
      I'll stick with a company that has stayed in business and kept its marque integrity. I'm one of few here for obvious reasons, but I like HD and think their product is great.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
        Wasn't that because Polaris could focus all it's efforts into Indian?
        LoL. Yeah, and I'm sure all those folks who payed to support that experiment's gestation were thrilled when Victory bowed out.
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
          As has been mentioned, the engine (and trans?) where supplied by S&S and as mavens of old bikes we can all get all the used parts we want off fleabay et Al

I wouldn't think twice about buying a Victory, I'm just not in the market for a motorcycle that would be better suited powering a piece of agricultural equipment.
          I don't think the latter day Victory motors and transmissions were made by S&S.
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

LoL. Yeah, and I'm sure all those folks who payed to support that experiment's gestation were thrilled when Victory bowed out.
            I'm sure they were not thrilled. But I can see why Polaris did it. Victory never appealed to me anyway...neither does Indian for that matter.
            No signature

Comment

And only the FTR1200 apeals to me out of both the Indian and HD brands..
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
              Originally posted by Hayabuser
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I'll stick with a company that has stayed in business and kept its marque integrity. I'm one of few here for obvious reasons, but I like HD and think their product is great.
                As said in other threads, I'm super stoked your HD works so well for you!!! I get it because I love my Bonneville T120, its such a motorcycle at the core it is just a pleasure to ride. Triumph has been around for a hot minute too. The Sportster was born to compete with the UK Twins. Aka the Bonneville
                Last edited by Jedz123; 03-03-2020, 09:53 PM.
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

When the Indian name was up for bid back in the 90s, I wonder if Polaris was one of the bidders? The company awarded the name was the only one to show a complete bike (that was, in actuality just a parts bin special). This could explain why Polaris went with the Victory name.

Comment

I'm sure they were not thrilled. But I can see why Polaris did it. Victory never appealed to me anyway...neither does Indian for that matter.
                    I actually like the Scout a lot, but the pedigree and community around HD are huge pluses to me. I love riding a bike that can trace its roots back 50 years, under a Marque that has existed without a break for nearly 120 years. It is special.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                      As said in other threads, I'm super stoked your HD works so well for you!!! I get it because I love my Bonneville T120, its such a motorcycle at the core it is just a pleasure to ride. Triumph has been around for a hot minute too. The Sportster was born to compete with the UK Twins. Aka the Bonneville
                      Actually, the Sportster is a couple of years older than the Bonneville (not the TR6, though). I like Triumph a lot.
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Actually, the Sportster is a couple of years older than the Bonneville (not the TR6, though). I like Triumph a lot.
                        Yeah I looked it up and was wrong. I found 57 for the Sportster and 58/59 for the Bonnevile.. But it was the British bike sales the Sprotster was trying to chase since HD didn't really have a competitive edge in the smaller entry level bikes back in the day. They were successful I would say! Very intertwined history there.

I know my XR1200 left an unfair taste in my mouth about Sportsters... I need to just ride a good ole 883 to understand it better. Hope our paths cross in June!!!

Best,
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Another fun fact...the own the BMW/Ducati dealer...and recently purchased the Triumph dealer where they added the Indian line. My buddy says what a difference in customers! He says at the bmw/ducati dealer customers come in prepared, they have done their homework and know what they want....contrast to the Indian (old Harley customer) that really has not done their homework...and he says they get their credit declined 60% of the time! Lol.....shopping for an expensive toy with bad credit....classic!
                          Same when I bought my Connie at the Harley dealer. Couple people were interested but were declined....
                          sigpic
                          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                          1983 GS1100e
                          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                          1980 GS1260
                          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                            Same when I bought my Connie at the Harley dealer. Couple people were interested but were declined....
                            How could you have the balls to buy a toy on credit when you have none? I guess that's why they are in the position they are in in the first place. Hmmm...I wonder who gets turned down for credit more often....which brand?
                            No signature

Comment

I saw a copy of a 1961 Cycle World review of the new Sportster. It said, "If you are riding a Sporty, you are either going to a race or on your way back from one."

The '61 Sportster was far and away the world's fastest production motorcycle.
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

How could you have the balls to buy a toy on credit when you have none? I guess that's why they are in the position they are in in the first place. Hmmm...I wonder who gets turned down for credit more often....which brand?
                                Plus it's kind of fun walking into the dealership with $12,000 in cash in your pocket and saying I'd like that one! 😉
                                My Motorcycles:
                                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                                79 1000e (all original)
                                82 850g (all original)
                                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                                X