Clutch won’t engage properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch won’t engage properly

My bike has been sitting for about a year, I rebuilt stock carbs and they seem to be working great for my idle. I put on a new chain and when I pulled off the cover to the small sprocket I tried cleaning up inside a bit just getting gunk out the push lever had a bunch. I added more play to my clutch cable and when I started her up all was well. Put her in 1st with the clutch lever pulled and it just jumped to 1st. Let out clutch and didn’t stall just kept going. I really adjusted the cable pretty much to the max i could, still jumping gear but did notice the back wheel stop when I put my foot on it then start again. But it’s jumping gear still. I didn’t try putting it on other gears I didn’t want to break anything. Never pulled the clutch or did any work in there b4

What bike is this ?. If it's a gs550 or 750 maybe the push rod free play needs adjustment. Slack off the cable adjuster and read a manual to set push rod then cable.
    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Sounds like the 550 setup.....have a look here

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sorry complete noob can’t believe I didn’t include year and model. It’s an 83 750
        the push rod which is activated by pulling the clutch? One thing I found interesting was that I could not engage anything by hand by just pushing the rod in (didn’t apply more force than just pushing by hand though)

Comment

Thanks I will!

Comment

Here's a thought. Your clutch plates may be stuck together.
            I've had this happen on a few bikes before especially if they have been sitting for a long time and had old oil in it.
            What I've had to do is rev the engine while popping the clutch and instantly squeezing the clutch lever again. What it does is shock the plates loose. Do this where you have plenty of room to ride it out if they don't break loose and the bike takes off. You don't want to be near something you might crash into. If you're not comfortable doing that, take off the clutch cover and take the clutch apart. Get a scotch bright and lightly scuff all the surfaces and soak the friction plates in fresh oil for an hour before reassembly.
            GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

It worked! I think my plates were stuck together after all and after re-adjusting the clutch cable I got her chugging along just fine, thanks for your help guys!

Comment

Working...
              X