Stupid Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid Question

Restoring a 1982 GS1100E and the parts diagram or manual does not indicate which way the fork springs go in? Does the tighter coils go up or down??

Down, i think.
    Did you try to put it in, IIRC the ID in the windings is different and it fits only one way. I think.
    Last edited by Rijko; 02-23-2020, 02:02 PM.
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Close wound coils up according to my manual.
      You will see a lot of people saying that the stiffness doesn't matter which end you compress from and that is true for static loading.
      On the road the compression travels up the spring at a finite speed. For certain types of load the top may never know anything happened until it's all over.
      The looser the wind the softer the spring. With the loose end down in theory you get a softer rate that hardens up as the compression increases.
      That said mine were opposite ways when I took them out. They went back the same way and I can't say I noticed any difference.
      Last edited by Brendan W; 02-23-2020, 02:10 PM.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Good info. Thank you John

Comment

I figured it was rising rate and it makes sense to have the tight coils on top. Thanks again

Comment

There are no stupid questions, no one can be expected to know everything.
            1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
              There are no stupid questions, no one can be expected to know everything.
              Slight correction if I may
              The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by renorealtors View Post
                Restoring a 1982 GS1100E and the parts diagram or manual does not indicate which way the fork springs go in? Does the tighter coils go up or down??

You should consider new Sonic fork springs. Great upgrade for $120

I just put them in my 83 gs750ed and a huge difference. I also have them in my Cooley
                No signature

Comment

Originally posted by renorealtors View Post

Opinion and manufacturers are divided on this. My recent set of Wilbers progressives were quite clear about close-wound coils to the top. Other makers say the opposite.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The tighter wound side is the softer side of the spring.... that said it doesn’t make a difference which way you put them from a compression point of view; however the tighter coils should be up to reduce reciprocating mass.
                    -1980 GS1100 LT
                    -1975 Honda cb750K
                    -1972 Honda cl175
                    - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                      You should consider new Sonic fork springs. Great upgrade for $120

I just put them in my 83 gs750ed and a huge difference. I also have them in my Cooley
                      +1 on this; you'll love the way Sonic springs work for you
                      sigpic
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
                        ... the tighter coils should be up to reduce reciprocating mass.
                        While "reciprocating mass" might also be technically correct, I have used the term "unsprung weight".

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          While "reciprocating mass" might also be technically correct, I have used the term "unsprung weight".

Haha - I knew it sounded odd when I wrote it.... just thought it could be confusing to say springs were unsprung.
                          -1980 GS1100 LT
                          -1975 Honda cb750K
                          -1972 Honda cl175
                          - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Hadn't thought about unsprung weight, but that's a good point.

Tighter coils up also slightly reduces the amount that dropping the spring in affects oil level, since there are fewer coils immersed in oil.

I strongly doubt these factors make the slightest humanly perceptible difference. But if there's a right way and a wrong way, might as well do it the right way. And having a "rule" to follow ensures you'll at least be consistent.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I was expected some stupid pictures and questions in this forum

Comment

Working...
                              X