Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only One Coil Sparking

Hi,

I have a Suzuki GS650GT and having problems starting. Only one of the coils are sparking. When I switch the wires over from the working coil (BLACK/YELLOW & ORANGE/WHITE) to the none working coil (WHITE & ORANGE/WHITE) then that coil is working and the other one is not. So both coils are fine. I have gone through the whole wiring loom to check wiring and everything seems ok. I have done all the OHM tests on both coils and they seem to be ok.

My question is. Is it the the CDi (Ignitor) or the Signal Generator that is dead. if any....

You can view the GS650GT Wiring Diagram (in color) attached.

Please.. Any help on how to diagnose further will be appreciated. Anyone that has maybe gone through the same issue...
    Thanks in advance
    Attached Files

Disconnect the blue and green wire coming from signal generator....measure across them and look for ohms of about 300
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi, Thank you for the info. I checked the ohm. Im getting 350 ohm. So does that mean the Signal Generator is fine? That only leaves the Ignitor right? Or can it be anything else?

Comment

Could it be the coil supply plug is corroded?
        What voltage are you getting at those plugs?
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Double check the electrical plug from ignitor to coils..could be corroded. The ignitor on this model 32900-34210 ? is very durable, but doesn’t like a high charging system voltage
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

, I am having the same issue. I'll follow this thread, hoping someone smarter than me will help find the culprit.. Also the plug wires have ben pulled, without marking which ones go where. Any help with that would e appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Double check the electrical plug from ignitor to coils..could be corroded. The ignitor on this model 32900-34210 ? is very durable, but doesn’t like a high charging system voltage
              Tom, I seem to have lost my shop manual. Where is the igniter?

Comment

Originally posted by abaton6 View Post
                , I am having the same issue. I'll follow this thread, hoping someone smarter than me will help find the culprit.. Also the plug wires have ben pulled, without marking which ones go where. Any help with that would e appreciated.
                Assuming the wiring is still standard and nobody's cross-connected the feeds to the coils, as you look at the coils from the rear, the left hand one fires cyls 1 and 4, the right one fires 2 and 3. Normally the HT leads for 1 and 4 will be longer anyway.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  Hi Tom, Thanks I double checked wiring. I have opened my complete wiring loom removed all hard plastic wrapping etc.. All wires are 100%. I also measured the OHMs of the signal generator (I'm getting 350 ohm). That seems to be fine. Only thing left I can think of is the ignitor. It looks so good though. No corrosion, rust, nothing. It looks brand new...

Anyone else have any idea how to test the CDI, if there is even a way?

Thanks for all your help guys

Comment

Originally posted by abaton6 View Post
                    Tom, I seem to have lost my shop manual. Where is the igniter?
                    The ignitor is on a steel bracket mounted underneath the air filter box...the r/r is there too. Wires from it run up to two electrical plugs ..one a 4way and other 2 way.
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by brian View Post
                      Hi Tom, Thanks I double checked wiring.

Anyone else have any idea how to test the CDI, if there is even a way?

Thanks for all your help guys
                      Not easy to do but you can try this method in this link..step 11 etc

best test is to install a known good unit and see if that corrects the issue...I’ve tested 5 of this ignitor and all worked fine, so a used unit would be a safe bet
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

Hi,

I have gone through the complete wiring loom now from front to back. Can someone tell me if the igniter must be grounded to the frame. It seems like the guy that had the bike before moved stuff around. Should the actual igniter body be grounded to the frame?

Comment

This is from the GS650 wiring diagram....GS650G-circuitDiagram.png.jpg
                          YES. Generally, the mounting bolts will do this,(see below text) but ANY Black/white stripe (B/W) needs to be "grounded". The ones shown coming off the top of the "igniter" attach to the loom's ground bus wire, that attaches to the frame at it's ends...

but note that this diagram from a 650G shows ANOTHER ground too..the one from the bottom with the "tree" connection. This usually denotes a bolt to casing ground - I won't say it always does. Some devices can be mounted to insulated places and they might provide a ground wire for this situation...
                          Last edited by Gorminrider; 02-27-2020, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks, That makes sense.

Comment

02-Ignition.png.jpg

Heres a discrete diagram I made for a 650 Ignition system. It won't print very well due to ping background but the pink makes all the wires show up...the idea is it helps to focus on just the wiring that pertains to ignition.

Comment

Working...
                              X