Is it possible to restore this badging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to restore this badging?

I'd like to make my side covers look new again, and one of the more detail-oriented aspects of that is the badging. Is it possible to make this shine like new again, or should I just buy new emblems?20200301_223507.jpg
    1980 GS550E

Well, since you have more time than money, I'd take an old toothbrush and a bit of toothpaste and do a test polish on one of them.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Not worth trying to restore these
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-GS550E-nos-side-cover-badge-set-78-80/172977184702?epid=12024792486&hash=item28463e5fbe: g:vWMAAOxyW7tRidcQ

But out of just principle , these need to be restored.
      Last edited by posplayr; 03-02-2020, 03:41 AM.

Comment

How about the paint? Could I go to an auto store and ask them to match the paint, or do I have to find the specific stuff?
        1980 GS550E

Comment

Originally posted by ZombiePotatoSalad View Post
          How about the paint? Could I go to an auto store and ask them to match the paint, or do I have to find the specific stuff?
          Save your money and get your bike on the road, shiny won't be as nice to look at on a bike you can't ride.
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
            Save your money and get your bike on the road, shiny won't be as nice to look at on a bike you can't ride.
            I'll second that sentiment.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

How are you planning on putting chrome back on to the badge? The chrome paint i have used in the past dulls very quickly and looks worse than any other "paint".

You can spend $20 on chrome and red paints and still have a POS when the the NPOS piece is $30. ".... Why look a gift horse in the mouth?"

If you can't afford $30 for badges, then I wonder if you can afford the project at all; do you have a budget?

As far as getting the bike to run, there are many people that collect parts for years without a bike actually running becuase they have the confidence they know it will eventually run once they get all the parts. The biggest risk is money, which means you need a budget or you don't care about budget.

Comment

I've been waiting to get to the shiny bits.... for 20 years now. But it sure is fun to ride.
                An in motion bike always looks better then one in the garage.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Here is some of the badges I have restored lately. The last pics are of the next bike scheduled for restoration. It is also a GS550E. The other badges are made if pot metal and have real chrome on them so it was possible to get them to look good. The GS550E has plastic badges and in IMHO they can not be revived. I plan on buying new ones for the build. Just my 2cents.

Comment

Just need to replace the tires, and it'll be roadworthy.
                    I don't like feeling like I'm just sitting on my hands inside all day, so I'm looking for things to do in the meantime.
                    1980 GS550E

Comment

Just need to replace the tires, and it'll be roadworthy.
                      I don't like feeling like I'm just sitting on my hands inside all day, so I'm looking for things to do in the meantime.
                      So, you got those carburators straightened out? That would be good news.

Comment

So, you got those carburators straightened out? That would be good news.
                        I've enlisted some aid with that. Just waiting for that to get back to me
                        1980 GS550E

Comment

i mean, you could take a visit to the craft store, some of the shiny chromey paints they have nowadays look pretty good. You arent going for a concourse restoration, just to pretty things up. I suspect you could, with some careful masking and hand work, get those babies looking pre-tty good from about 5 feet away. Just sayin'.
                          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

My badges are plastic, if yours are too then Testors model paint would be plenty cheap and easy to find. It's the same stuff you use to paint plastic model cars and comes in a large choice of colors. The chrome parts could be polished out with toothpaste as has already been suggested, chrome polish would probably be too coarse and give you a hazy finish.

Comment

I thought the chrome had worn away, like it was just a coat. This is just patina?
                              1980 GS550E

Comment

Working...
                              X