Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clutch slipping? Or needs adjustment?

Thanks everyone for the advice on this matter. Problem is resolved!

I re-adjusted the clutch cable as per the instructions in this thread and finally was able to take it out and confirm that the clutch was not slipping in 5th gear.

The cable previously had been adjusted without enough slack and therefore was engaging clutch partially causing the clutch to slip under heavy load.

IMG_4962.jpg

I usually change gear at 5,000 rpm, but Iíve been trying to test peak hp and torque for my Ď82 GS650G, which means running up to 9,000 rpm. I find at over 6,500 rpm the clutch slips, suddenly roaring the motor to over 9,000 rpm before catching again and returning to 6,500 to 7,500 rpm. It only happens intermittently but it can be a surprise.
    1982 Suzuki GS650G

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Beez View Post
    I usually change gear at 5,000 rpm, but I’ve been trying to test peak hp and torque for my ‘82 GS650G, which means running up to 9,000 rpm. I find at over 6,500 rpm the clutch slips, suddenly roaring the motor to over 9,000 rpm before catching again and returning to 6,500 to 7,500 rpm. It only happens intermittently but it can be a surprise.
    Do you have free play at the hand lever? If not, you need some. Assuming you have free play and the clutch still slips that suggests that new clutch springs are in order. It's a cheap and easy maintenance task. Hard part is waiting on the parts to arrive. You will need new OEM springs and a clutch cover gasket.