Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New sprockets and chain

Hi everyone,

Im back from Saudi and getting stuck into my first ever bike project.

Been looking through the boxes of bits and swopped a few messages with the previous owner and realise now that he had trashed the rear sprocket and chain so i think i will replace both sprockets and chain.

Could you guys please share the wisdom of the collective on this ... what should i be putting on my 1978 GS 550E here in the UK.

Huge thanks to you all for all the advice you guys gave me while i was in the desert waiting to get home and make a start on my bike.
    Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
    BMW R1200GT
    GS550 1978 Project bike
    Yamaha Virago 535 bobber project
    Honday VFR 750 1995 restoration project

Lots of options. DID X-ring is normally good. If you do a search, you'll probably find someone offering a chain and sprocket kit for a decent price. You don't need to go over the top - a GS 550 isn't massively powerful, and I guess you won't be doing a particularly high mileage. Whereabouts in the UK are you? There are still some decent 'bricks and mortar' dealers around.
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Replace both sprockets and chain at the same time and you're in good shape.

If you want to save a few bucks (pounds?) I'm sure an O-ring would be sufficient. Just keep that sand out of the vicinity!
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Have a look at Demon Tweeks site - I seem to recall getting a promotional e-mail from them with good prices.
        1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
          Lots of options. DID X-ring is normally good. If you do a search, you'll probably find someone offering a chain and sprocket kit for a decent price. You don't need to go over the top - a GS 550 isn't massively powerful, and I guess you won't be doing a particularly high mileage. Whereabouts in the UK are you? There are still some decent 'bricks and mortar' dealers around.
          Hi Steve,

I'm up in Shropshire, North Wales and only home for limited period so want to try and get as much done as i can and get the parts as quickly as i can without breaking the bank.

Appreciate the response and any and all guidance before i start hitting the card on eBay, MandP etc
          Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
          BMW R1200GT
          GS550 1978 Project bike

Comment

Quick update and new questions...

Please see this link:

so which one do i need, i checked the haynes manual and it just breezes over it with no technical data. Is there a perfect combination here and would that change which chain i need (chain is on page 1 in that link).

This site seems to be quick and local so i could be putting the engine back together in a couple of days.

As some of you know i work in Saudi and only have limited time to work on my bike in the UK so grateful for any advice particularly quick advice !!

Thanks guys
            Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
            BMW R1200GT
            GS550 1978 Project bike

Comment

Off the top of my head, 15 front 50 rear.

Have a look through here, it should have the answer: http://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac/..._77-82_all.pdf

I would also order a 'drive sprocket retainer', item 33 on your link.

It's basically a washer, you fold one edge over one of the sprocket nut flats. Old ones are normally worn through use. It's just a bit of extra insurance against the sprocket nut loosening, which could potentially fall off the shaft, with unpleasant consequences.
              1980 GS550ET

Comment

Have a look through here, it should have the answer: http://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac/..._77-82_all.pdf

I would also order a 'drive sprocket retainer', item 33 on your link.

It's basically a washer, you fold one edge over one of the sprocket nut flats. Old ones are normally worn through use. It's just a bit of extra insurance against the sprocket nut loosening, which could potentially fall off the shaft, with unpleasant consequences.
                You are a star Steve, thanks mate. I will have a look and definitely order the retainer too.
                Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
                BMW R1200GT
                GS550 1978 Project bike

Comment

Off the top of my head, 15 front 50 rear..
                  looking through the service manual and haven't found it yet and on the websdite they don't do either 15 front or 50 rear. So grateful for your help steve, and trying not to be a pain in the rear; but, if you or anyone else has any advice or if i am just being dumb and missing this then please shout!
                  Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
                  BMW R1200GT
                  GS550 1978 Project bike

Comment

Its ok, im an idiot, there are listed as the "Standard" ones!!!

Don't suppose you know if there is a special chain that goes with the 15/50 set?
                    Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
                    BMW R1200GT
                    GS550 1978 Project bike

Comment

Any of those on page 1 will do. I think I'd go with the £50 Iris chain. The DID X-ring is better, but not sure it's £30 better.
                      1980 GS550ET

Comment

Thanks Steve,

Before i start a new thread i don't suppose you know where i can find info on the bolt sizes for engine mounting? The previous owner destroyed the front engine bolt and i can't find the bolts for the engine mounting brackets so i think i will try and replace the lot.

Any thoughts?
                        Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
                        BMW R1200GT
                        GS550 1978 Project bike

Comment

Have a look here:

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs550e-.../#.Xl7ncGj7TIV It's a USA model fiche, but the basics are the same, just cosmetic differences.

The short bolts are in the section marked 'Frame', the long ones are in 'Crankcase'. Suzuki normally put the dimensions in the part number, so the short bolts on the front mounting plate are part no.01500-086003.
                          Ignore the first five digits for this - the next two give the thread size (M8), and the following two give the length (60mm). I believe the last digit relates to the finish, but I'm not 100% certain.

When you're buying fasteners, you also need to get the correct pitch (thread distance in millimetres). Japanese and UK standard sizes are the same up to M10. From there on, they normally use fine pitch fasteners, as opposed to our standard pitch.
                          1980 GS550ET

Comment

Have a look here:

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs550e-.../#.Xl7ncGj7TIV It's a USA model fiche, but the basics are the same, just cosmetic differences.

The short bolts are in the section marked 'Frame', the long ones are in 'Crankcase'. Suzuki normally put the dimensions in the part number, so the short bolts on the front mounting plate are part no.01500-086003.
                            Ignore the first five digits for this - the next two give the thread size (M8), and the following two give the length (60mm). I believe the last digit relates to the finish, but I'm not 100% certain.

When you're buying fasteners, you also need to get the correct pitch (thread distance in millimetres). Japanese and UK standard sizes are the same up to M10. From there on, they normally use fine pitch fasteners, as opposed to our standard pitch.
                            Thanks Steve i will check in the morning before going to buy the bolts in town

Rally appreciated your help tonight mate
                            Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
                            BMW R1200GT
                            GS550 1978 Project bike

Comment

Have a look here:

Morning mate,

had a good look at that site this morning, its excellent! Can't thank you enough. And really appreciate you explaining/decoding the part number for me.

More thank anything mate i am grateful for you taking the time to share your knowledge - that i can't repay.
                              Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
                              BMW R1200GT
                              GS550 1978 Project bike

Comment

Working...
                              X