New sprockets and chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys,

My new chain and front and rear sprockets arrived today.

Fitted front with any real issues but there was no rear sprocket on the bike so i had no "on -off" chance to learn. I have done a good search on the forum for instructions, on how to do this, been through the Haynes manual and (thanks Steve) been through the Service Manual as well. I have even watched the urban monk and "for the brave" on Youtube but neither really talk about it.

Can anyone please tell me how to chance the rear sprocket? It seems like i have to take the wheel apart?

Here are the screws i am talking about that once loose do not feel as though they have anything to screw back into...

377A8CC7-F6C1-43E6-A0EE-93C89E4E02FF by Mike Balmer, on Flickr

here is a close up of the square headed screws...

804DD030-2887-42C3-B1EC-5353D7EE76D7 by Mike Balmer, on Flickr

Not to be confused with the rear brake disc screws that are normal hex bolts and have something inside the hub to screw into...

AB0514E6-F6AE-45E9-A6AD-B93E410E3172 by Mike Balmer, on Flickr

Thanks guys (sorry if this sounds a little desperate, i'm running out of time on this holiday and head back to Saudi next Friday.

Grateful
    Last edited by MikeinSaudi; 03-05-2020, 05:47 PM. Reason: add pictures
    Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
    BMW R1200GT
    GS550 1978 Project bike
    Yamaha Virago 535 bobber project
    Honday VFR 750 1995 restoration project

Comment

The square-headed screws come from inside the hub. Lift the sprocket carrier off the hub, and you'l see where they should mount. You'll then need six nuts to apply from the outside, with the tab washer between the carrier and the nut. Flange nuts are ideal for this.

Just to recap, fit the sprocket to the carrier hub, then fit that assembly to the cush drive in the rear wheel.
      1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
        Just to recap, fit the sprocket to the carrier hub, then fit that assembly to the cush drive in the rear wheel.
        Thanks again Steve,

The bit i hadn't worked out was to hit the hub sprocket side with a nylon hammer to release it. I felt a right idiot when i came into the workshop this morning, having read your post and realised that if there was something technical to be done you would have said it. So nylon hammer and there it was.

Everywhere, i literally searched everywhere for info on that and nothing!

Thanks guys really appreciate you bearing with me as i learn.
        Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
        BMW R1200GT
        GS550 1978 Project bike

Comment

Just thought i would show a picture of the chain on, its more progress so happy about that.

The chain arrived without the split ring link so the eagle-eyed among you will notice that i have not riveted the chain closed.

504E34DD-8FAC-44A8-8E9C-B14DBC474AA3 by Mike Balmer, on Flickr
          Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
          BMW R1200GT
          GS550 1978 Project bike

Comment

Nice bike!

Comment

Working...
            X