Picked up a pretty cool 82 GS Mr Turbo Bonneville special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked up a pretty cool 82 GS Mr Turbo Bonneville special

I got this yesterday for a grand, it's been sitting (ran when parked in 92!) in a garage here in Orange County CA.

Did 184 MPH according to a time sheet.

Has Mr Turbo and I believe an S&S carb, and there's a Mikuni in the parts pile. The owner said it's running sleeved down cylinders (and an 83 head), with 6.5:1 compression. He said if not sleeved the heat would distort the barrels. Welded crank thankfully.

All original parts were taken off in 82 with 2K miles, plus tons of spares. Original wheels with the original tires - nubs still on. Front EPM magnesium and rear aluminum racing wheels 'for competition use only'. Full exhaust system in great shape, brand new carb set plus a spare from an 83. Magura clip ons, big oil cooler, etc. I'm still taking inventory and pinching myself.

I'd like to ID the full twin headlight fairing, it seems quite special, hand laid fiberglass and looks to be modified to fit the wide cases.

It would be easy to bring back to stock, all paint and plastics are in very good shape. But with this history and cool factor, I think I'll restore to as-raced condition, paint the fairing to match perhaps, and have a bit of (LOUD) fun on it. It'll be a fun project, I'll take my time and do it right.

I've owned and restored GS1100s and one very special 82 Katana that I sorely miss. So life is good indeed.

Someone on here probably knows this bike. It was on C/L for 20 minutes and he happened to reply to me first. Sometimes you get lucky.

20200307_182806.jpg
    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Here's the haul of booty...

20200308_123201.jpg
    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

One heck of a score.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
        One heck of a score.
        I still miss my Katana (and GPz1100) that I restored years ago... sold to a guy that shipped them back to his home in Japan.

DSC00296.jpg
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Do a build thread. Please, pretty please.

So much coolness.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

You can PM RapidRay (Ray Rains). He lives in OC and been into street/racing GS's for 40 years. He probably knows the bike/owner. He is also on FB.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Proper turbo job; instead of it hanging down off the front of the block like an afterthought just waiting to get damaged, as seems more common now.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

What an amazing find! Glorious bike!
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                  I still miss my Katana (and GPz1100) that I restored years ago... sold to a guy that shipped them back to his home in Japan.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60430[/ATTACH]
                  Love that GPz! What year was it?
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                    Love that GPz! What year was it?
                    It's an 82. I got for $500 and bored it out to 1165 with Wiseco b/c it was burning oil. Loved that bike, it was one of my absolute favorites. I got an 82 KZ1000J new but really wanted the ELR or the GPz. Now I daily drive a 2013 Multistrada 1200 and it's similar in certain ways - fits me at 6'3", comfy, fast etc.
                    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                    '79 GS100E
                    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Thanks, will do.

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      You can PM RapidRay (Ray Rains). He lives in OC and been into street/racing GS's for 40 years. He probably knows the bike/owner. He is also on FB.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                      '79 GS100E
                      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Yes, I plan to. Right now it's getting a cleanup and removing battery, assessing the bike. So far so good.

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                        Do a build thread. Please, pretty please.

So much coolness.
                        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                        '79 GS100E
                        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

That is so cool.
                          Looking forward to the resto thread.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

184 MPH? That'd be a rush... of air!
                            2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                            2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Hayabuser View Post
                              184 MPH? That'd be a rush... of air!
                              Yes it would be. Yamaha put a governor on the second generation V-max because it figured 140 mph was enough for an un fared bike.

How does one spell "un fared" bike?
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                              X