What the "L" means

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
    Yep, I didn't really mention that, but there's one tooth difference in the 850G vs 850GL fifth gear, so they end up about the same RPM/MPH-wise and performance-wise.

Now that I think about it, I don't know whether the 1000G/GL and 1100G/GL have the same difference. I guess if anyone cares deeply enough, (I sure don't) they can go trawling through the fiches to find out.
    Some time ago, I saw a chart posted here that showed all the shafty ratios, and I saved it.
    It has one column that shows engine RPM at 70 MPH.

The '80 850L and 1000L had 17" rear wheel, so there was no difference in speed.

'79-'82 850G = 5021 RPM
    '81-'82 850GL = 5016 RPM

'80-'81 1000G = 4449 RPM
    '81 1000GL = 4445 RPM

The '82 1100G got the taller gear that was on the L, which dropped the RPM to 4273.
    Due to its smaller rear wheel, the 1100GL remained at the previous 4445 RPM.

The '83 1100GK and 1100GL got a taller final drive which lowered RPM to 4186.

Very subtle differences through the years, but most are compatible.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Oh, Steve...the technical things you read to know. That’s why working on hospital equipment is the right job for you.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

It took a while (many, many different jobs) before I found my niche, but I like it.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

To L or not to L -- That is the question...

Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post
          because you won't need to buy anything after you've found the perfect bike? I understand.

I love the L. Only thing I don't like about the L is the teeny tank. Seriously. A hundred miles is about my max, and even then I get nervous around eighty miles.

I love my L bars. People always say the thing about wrist angle, but it fits me like a glove, I swear. I might change the angle of the bars by an inch, but naw, I like the bars.

The seat is low, and my legs do get a little restless. But with a small tank, that's okay

Ls are also full of chrome. And they don't have that little storage trunk at the taillight like the Es.

Yes - Yes - Yes

My L is a great little bike.
          The handlebars are fine for me- I DID adjust them to an angle I like -
          But they are adjustable -
          I changed the seat to a custom - it makes me a little taller (higher seat) and that stretches my legs out a bit.

The ONLY thing is the smallish tank -
          Every 135 +/- miles I have to get fuel - that is annoying to me as my other bike is a Goldwing with a range of 225 easy and I have seen 250 on a tank may times.

When I was on my trip last year (2500 miles in 6 days) I carried a 1 gallon tank in the side case -
          I used it once because I was too lazy, wet, and tired to make another stop for fuel along the way to the motel
          I just emptied it into the tank and kept going . Unless I was going out west I would not worry about it - fuel stops are plentiful

So -- I resto-modified the L out of the bike and it is a fun bike to commute with
          And finding a good G model around here proved near impossible while I had my choice of several Ls
          Attached Files
          Currently in the Stable :
          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

dang you get 135 out of your tank? That's impressive. I doubt I would even get 100

Comment

Originally posted by thkbaron View Post
              dang you get 135 out of your tank? That's impressive. I doubt I would even get 100

125 to 135 to REServe - then I start looking for fuel.
              I get about 35 to 42 MPG at reasonable speeds (under 65)
              At 75-80 that drops a lot and I go to reserve at around 100 miles.
              At Reserve I put in about 3.5 gallons - and I think I have another .75 gallon of usable fuel left over--
              I have seen 150 miles on a tank - but that is a lot easier to do when one is carrying an extra gallon in the side case
              Currently in the Stable :
              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

If my pos ever runs I also have plenty of fuel stops here also. And I figure rotate the bars downward in the clamps if my wrists object. I think ideally I would want a bend halfway between low bars and L bars.

I'm guessing its best to stop rotating when the end of bar hits the tank in a turn..

Comment

In my case, the L stands for Love It! Of course, I did change the bars, added floorboards, and painted over some of the chrome.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                  1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Don't forget the '80 "L" was 16 valve and chain drive. Every bit as fast as the 1100e....
                    sigpic
                    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                    1983 GS1100e
                    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                    1980 GS1260
                    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

The 19/16 tire sizes makes for more interesting handling at the track on the L’s....
                      though I think the original 17” tires had a lower profile than the 16”; so the overall diameter wasn’t that different.
                      -1980 GS1100 LT
                      -1975 Honda cb750K
                      -1972 Honda cl175
                      - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
                        at the track on the L’s....
                        Wait whaaaat? You lost me with this part..

Comment

Hmm. At least it's not an 'ED'.....
                          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                          '79 GS100E
                          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                            Hmm. At least it's not an 'ED'.....
                            ??? A 1983 1100E is arguably the best of the early '80's air cooled Superbikes. My EZ is painted to look like an ED.

1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Just a joke, this thread being 'what does the L mean', I saw the 'ED' on another thread and the abbreviation made me chuckle, being an old geezer.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                              ??? A 1983 1100E is arguably the best of the early '80's air cooled Superbikes. My EZ is painted to look like an ED.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                              '79 GS100E
                              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by eight View Post
                                Wait whaaaat? You lost me with this part..

Just because it’s an L doesn’t mean it’s exempt from track days. FF48555E-A663-4ED2-A195-D1556A138387.jpg
                                -1980 GS1100 LT
                                -1975 Honda cb750K
                                -1972 Honda cl175
                                - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Working...
                                X