82 GS1100E Mr Turbo Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
    ... my two brothers today told me they would make sure I never ride a motorcycle or drive a car again. They don't even want me to attempt to get back on my ten speed English racer.
    Seriously, Rob, you need new brothers.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Unfortunately some don't recognize the mental health benefits of riding.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I'll have to mention it to Mom and Dad next time I'm at the graveyard.

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
        Unfortunately some don't recognize the mental health benefits of riding.
        Exactly! The nicer the bike, and the more of them you own, the happier you are. It's science.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Took a longish ride today and it was great, now doing 'post mortem' I have a little bit of dye in the oil to do some leak detection. I looked all along the base, head and valve cover gaskets and they seem fine. I do have a pretty bad leak at the turbo's oil return fitting at the oil filler (see pic below), and it's spewing all over. There is an O-ring that looks fine but the tightening ring/threaded part doesn't squish it down visibly before it tightens up. It's hard enough to turn and I don't want to strip anything, but I carefully tightened it and it's as good as it'll get. But possibly there is a secondary seal inside.

It's an easy thing to sort out I'm sure, and then once sealed I can pinpoint anything else. The cam chain tensioner and oil supply running off the pressure switch have some oil but I bet it's from the return line.

It also leaks just a little bit from a couple of the rubber half moon 'cylinder head plugs'. I recall there are two O-ring gaskets that are inside the head (I see them on Partzilla) that, if leaking, can make a mess of the top end. There are also 6 gaskets that look like they are copper, not sure if they can be an issue.

Other than that, I definitely need to upgrade the forks and address some little things - like a proper air cleaner. I just ran it today with the velocity stack and mesh screen that keeps bees out.

Bike really wakes up at 7K!

Last edited by oldGSfan; 01-03-2021, 03:23 AM.
          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

That monster is beautiful, Tom.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Where can I get a pair of those riding boots?
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

you must mean my sandals in the reflection - Flojos

They wear like iron and are incredibly comfortable. I tried other types of same brand but this one is IT. There is something about the cushion, I never get sore feet even walking around all day. But in the garage it's a bit dicey.... In fact for most of my life I hated sandals of any type, and especially 'flip flops'. Now I wear them every day and get about 3 years out of them. The soles never wear out but the leather strap eventually does.
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Took the bike to its first show yesterday, a nice gathering in Huntington Beach that I'd been reading about online. Tied for 2nd place with a moped! Just kidding, it's not really a moped but at first I thought it was.

After the votes were counted I asked if the guy could just 'find' me what I needed to win, but no dice. Really nice folks, I'll be attending as much as I can. There were some very interesting bikes, including a Nimbus 4. A fellow from Japan took my #, he writes for a Japanese bike magazine and wants to do a story on it.

Vintage Bike of Orange County. A monthly meet for people who love vintage motorcycles.
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Good on you. When the voting is that close, the outcome should be decided at the drag strip.

When do they certify the votes?

Comment

Hey kids (and I mean you Rob), I finally did a cold start and ride video on Mr. Turbo. The bike always was fine, but the video camera, umm, not so much. Let's not even talk about the 'videographer'. No past-redline runs, I need to keep my life and license. Once it gets past 7K I just hang on. The forks are mushy but with the magnesium wheel (perhaps that's it) the thing just rides like a big train, soaking anything up. Sound on the video sorta gets annoying, it's not me, I promise! I put a piece of cloth over the mic but the wind tore back the tape and I think it began to sing.

What's really cool about the bike is that yeah, it's loud, lumpy, and a bit rough around the edges vs. the stock GS, but it's entirely comfortable to ride at a normal pace. Then I give it a bit of Welly and grin ear to ear. It's like Highway Star is always playing in the background egging me on.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                      '79 GS100E
                      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Thank you so much. I first feared that you had sold it, but what a nice surprise.

The only thing I was wishing for was a close up inset of the tach and speedo. Perhaps you could divulge how high each went?

The middle one is the boost gauge? Does that move while riding?

Thanks again, from the safety of my couch!

Comment

Awesome... gotta love the 85 mph speedometer.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Fantastic! Your video is just like the bike...loud, lumpy and a bit rough around the edges.
                            Looks like the tach leaps from 6-8000.
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                              Thank you so much. I first feared that you had sold it, but what a nice surprise.

The only thing I was wishing for was a close up inset of the tach and speedo. Perhaps you could divulge how high each went?

The middle one is the boost gauge? Does that move while riding?

Thanks again, from the safety of my couch!
                              I don't know what's up with the boost gauge. I know the turbo's working and the gauge works fine with a blast of compressed air. I never look down there anyway but it's a bummer to have something not work. I took a brisker ride yesterday and pinned it till about 10K but the video was too long and kept failing to download to my phone (it's a Rylo, a defunct less expensive GoPro competitor). It just keeps making power, probably should have a rev limiter. I don't just whack the throttle open, it's too much, I'd be on one wheel and on public roads I'm a bit leery of that.
                              Last edited by oldGSfan; 09-01-2022, 09:28 PM.
                              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                              '79 GS100E
                              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

10k? What gear? At what revs did you open the throttle?

Please try to get video.

Comment

Working...
                                X