No announcement yet.

82 GS1100E Mr Turbo Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd look for a corroded/bad connection where the g/y solenoid signal wire connects to the harness, and clean/verify good contact inside the start button/run switch housing/RH switch assembly. I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know. I'm certain I've read that the solenoid can be replaced with a pretty generic one of similar size from the local Tractor Supply. It's nothing special.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Yep Rich, went through and verified connections, cleaned and used dielectric grease, etc. After that still the issue so I got a generic 3 pole solenoid from O'Reilly and it's working. Will be out for a ride soon, it's finally time!

Edit: First ride was great, it really is sweet on the road, the suspension and brakes did their thing - very comfortable and set up pretty well. The motor pulled everywhere and is docile like stock at lower RPM, idles well. Gearbox is notchy, as I remember this may be improper linkage adjustment perhaps. I dipped into the turbo only 3 or 4 times in 3rd and it was very strong, I didn't push it too far as the rest of the bike is so fresh. But I have leaks to fix, ugh, including head gasket and/or some seal in upper end. The gear indicator isn't working, the temp maxed at 215 or so, it's very hot here today. All in all I am really happy with how it rides, but should have torn the motor down for gaskets when it was out. Oh well, I can deal with that.

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
      I'd look for a corroded/bad connection where the g/y solenoid signal wire connects to the harness, and clean/verify good contact inside the start button/run switch housing/RH switch assembly. I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know. I'm certain I've read that the solenoid can be replaced with a pretty generic one of similar size from the local Tractor Supply. It's nothing special.
      Last edited by oldGSfan; 09-17-2020, 05:04 PM.
      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

oldgsfan,

I am curious as to what supports the turbocharger when it is installed. I can't see anything that supports it, so I assume it is held up by the mid pipe connecting the header to the turbo and by the rubber coupler fastening the compressor outlet to the intake manifold.
        1982 GS1100GL: hand built stainless 4-1 exhaust, pods, jetting.

Comment

That's exactly it, just these two points.

Originally posted by Longitudinal View Post
          oldgsfan,

I am curious as to what supports the turbocharger when it is installed. I can't see anything that supports it, so I assume it is held up by the mid pipe connecting the header to the turbo and by the rubber coupler fastening the compressor outlet to the intake manifold.
          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
            That's exactly it, just these two points.
            Thank you. Your answers are helpful as I consider a turbo build of my own. Supporting the turbo would not be easy, as there is very little nearby on the engine/trans unit to tie to. If I do build one, I might unitize the compressor outlet and the intake manifold in order to save space and make the connection stiffer.

I am impressed by how compact your turbocharger is from compressor inlet to turbine outlet. One might think it didn't have a CHRA at all.
            1982 GS1100GL: hand built stainless 4-1 exhaust, pods, jetting.

Comment

You're welcome, I will help any way I can, it's what these forums are supposed to be about. I have a Rajay turbo manual FYI.

I also have a few spare parts, not sure if any demand for them, but have half a housing for the turbo, and a couple of carbs - an S&S Super B and the original Keihin. Both are in need of rebuilding and may be junk. After reading up I went with the Mikuni HSR. I think the Keihin (an HD carb from late 70's) is considered pretty crappy, and the S&S isn't a good street carb. Plus the butterfly is locked up on the S&S.

The tuner said he'd have put on a Keihin, I'm not sure the model, maybe FCR? He would have gone bigger than my 42 - like 52 (?) from memory. He said it would have more adjustability, 3 vs 2 jets or something Mine is the cheapest one I could have put on, he said, and didn't allow him to fine tune it. But the bike runs great and I don't have a ton of money to throw at it. I paid about $230 for it. So you should research, don't take my opinion as I'm just a garage mechanic on a budget.

Originally posted by Longitudinal View Post
              Thank you. Your answers are helpful as I consider a turbo build of my own. Supporting the turbo would not be easy, as there is very little nearby on the engine/trans unit to tie to. If I do build one, I might unitize the compressor outlet and the intake manifold in order to save space and make the connection stiffer.

I am impressed by how compact your turbocharger is from compressor inlet to turbine outlet. One might think it didn't have a CHRA at all.
              Last edited by oldGSfan; 09-23-2020, 03:40 PM.
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I have a bad habit, from years of being dirt poor (thankfully no longer!) of cheaping out and then paying more. It is really a design flaw in my thinking that I need to address. Logically I know the old adage - buy good shoes 1x or cheap ones 10x. And it is true. I bought a replacement front master cylinder kit for the GS, a K&L even after reading warnings NOT to do it. And it leaked. Thankfully no painted parts other than the master cylinder got paint damage. I just ordered an OEM replacement from Partzilla. When will I ever learn?
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Unfortunately there is a lot of us that belong to that Club.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

When I took the MC apart I realized that I hadn't snapped the circlip into the right slot, it was in the outer groove that is for the rubber gator. D'oh! Normally I am really meticulous, and doubly so for brakes. Those MCs are tricky to get the circle in - no excuse, just a learning experience. Still I have ordered the OEM part. While I wait I'm doing recon on the Norton, trying to see if it is worth time and money to restore - I hate to part out a pretty rare bike. Turns out it's pretty complete. I'll get the black parts powder coated and get it on its wheels, at least. And clean up and polish the aluminum. And....

Also working on my son's future bike, '94 Yamaha XT350. Since it was an unknown quantity I disassembled the YZ250 forks that the PO put on - a nice upgrade. I always like to know what's going on in suspension and brakes. The seals are holding oil and look new and the fluid was perfectly clean, but the bump stop disintegrated on removal, so I will replace and put the right level of oil in there, and call it good. It also has a leak on the crank seal under the magneto, but it's an easy and cheap job (he says).

The Honda CB750 is getting new APE cylinder studs, as the originals are a weakness leading to what was a very oily top end. I have quality gaskets, and have lapped the valves - for a 31K bike the journals, valves/seats and overall health of the engine is really good. I painted the frame with appliance enamel and had the rest of the hard parts powder coated. It's going to be a sweet bike, just have to decide on color - son thinks the Candy Bacchus Olive is classy and less common than the Flake Sunrise Orange. Either one will be tricky for me to do myself with the decals etc. I am waiting on that decision till the rest is up to snuff.
                    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                    '79 GS100E
                    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Ahhhh, that circlip in the piston of the MC. I had a heck of a time squeezing it to fit right in the groove. My Boeing engineer friend looked at it, used the tool (in his methodical way) and popped it right in!

It should be a while before I have to rebuild that MC.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                        Also working on my son's future bike, '94 Yamaha XT350. Since it was an unknown quantity I disassembled the YZ250 forks that the PO put on - a nice upgrade. I always like to know what's going on in suspension and brakes. The seals are holding oil and look new and the fluid was perfectly clean, but the bump stop disintegrated on removal, so I will replace and put the right level of oil in there, and call it good. It also has a leak on the crank seal under the magneto, but it's an easy and cheap job (he says).

The Honda CB750 is getting new APE cylinder studs, as the originals are a weakness leading to what was a very oily top end. I have quality gaskets, and have lapped the valves - for a 31K bike the journals, valves/seats and overall health of the engine is really good. I painted the frame with appliance enamel and had the rest of the hard parts powder coated. It's going to be a sweet bike, just have to decide on color - son thinks the Candy Bacchus Olive is classy and less common than the Flake Sunrise Orange. Either one will be tricky for me to do myself with the decals etc. I am waiting on that decision till the rest is up to snuff.
                        Can I call you "daddy"?
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Yeah what's crazy is I've done this before, sometimes I find it easier to do with a couple of pointy pick tools. I don't know what was going on but maybe just fatigue.

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                          Ahhhh, that circlip in the piston of the MC. I had a heck of a time squeezing it to fit right in the groove. My Boeing engineer friend looked at it, used the tool (in his methodical way) and popped it right in!

It should be a while before I have to rebuild that MC.

Ed

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                          '79 GS100E
                          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            Can I call you "daddy"?
                            Haha speaking of family, the bug runs deep with our clan. My 8 years older brother was the king of cool to me as a kid, he had a bunch of great bikes. My mom's father was a motorcycle courier in WWI.

Here are some pics.

Older brother on his first 'real' bike after a Yamaha 180 - a '68 Triumph Trophy, me on the far back. Boston around 1969 1/2.

Brother on left with a pal, in the basement waiting for spring, trying to look cool. He was grunge before grunge existed, with his ripped jeans and Frye boots.

Last one of brother, he rode this from Boston to Colorado in the 70's, and had many stories to tell after that ride. Peeing blood, riding in rain etc. Headlight pointed to the sky!

His stable in the 80's - Yamaha TT500, Honda CR125, 67 Bonneville, KZ1000LTD and a H2. Had to sell them all due to being laid off.

A 66 BSA Hornet converted to Spitfire street spec with the little US tank that my late brother owned and I inherited, with my nephew onboard. That thing was a cracker.

My grandpa - mother's dad at 16 around 1915 or so in Colorado. Maybe a HD 565?

Harley –Davidson 1915 Model 11-C 565 cc IOE single frame&engine # 1913 J In 1911 the first V- twins were brought out and very soon these models became the customers’ favourites; it seems singles were most popular for utility uses and in the export markets. In 1910 almost 3,200 singles were sold; by 1915 this ... Read more

Grandpa again, in France in WWI at 18, was a motorcycle courier. After the cease fire he picked up a German kid on his bike and brought him home for a nice meal - at the German kid's home.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 10-05-2020, 11:12 PM.
                            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                            '79 GS100E
                            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Still waiting to see (and hear) a clip of you zooming down the street on the rear wheel of that turbo.
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Tom those pictures are truly special. Thanks so much for sharing them with us. Very cool.
                                Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
                                Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Working...
                                X