No announcement yet.

82 GS1100E Mr Turbo Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife is from Melbourne. I lived there from 94>96 and then in Sydney in 05>08 designing Qantas InFlight Entertainment system.

Originally posted by pete View Post
    I'm definitely tuning into this! Beautiful job on the Katana, I'm a fan obviously

I had to check your location when you mentioned moving to Australia, I see you're back in the US now though.

I've ridden with a guy who had a turbo on his Katana which was located in front of the motor and his exhaust was very short with no muffler at all. I was surprised at how quiet it was! Others in the group with more "rorty" exhausts were most definitely much louder and are all naturally aspirated.
    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Ah cool, my wife is from Melbourne also actually!
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I have stripped the bike down and I found no surprises. It is a better starting point than my old Katana or GPz. There is nothing missing, not a single bolt or screw, and only a couple things to fix. I'll need to fabricate a bracket for one side cover, it was cut off for some reason. Ideally find a donor from someone's 'extra' frame (hint hint). Plus I broke the bolt holding the rear brake lever on, it'll have to be drilled out, which won't be fun. You know that feeling when a bolt gets really loose really fast, but it's not a good thing? The only mods are Accel coils and a steering damper which seems in fine condition, and a lengthened left side footrest which is due to the exhaust location. I am not sure why the exhaust is at scrambler level not down-swept like the old Z1R-TC. I like the looks, so it's fine.

I am stoked at this project, it will be a knockout. I would yank the engine now but have to take it to get a title re-issued. I have the original pink slip but the AAA guy said that it's not in the system. Probably a good thing because the non-op status lapsed years ago. Life's good and if I'm quarantined soon I may just work on the bike a bit...

Last edited by oldGSfan; 03-13-2020, 12:22 AM.
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Nice... it looks so.... plain with all of the go fast(er) parts removed.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Lovely looking bits of machinery.
            I look forward to seeing and hearing it moving.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

That thing is going to be the coolest bike on the street.

I plan to spend my "quarantine" time out in my garage getting mine back together too.
              '83 GS 1100T
              The Jet

sigpic
              '95 GSXR 750w
              The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Thanks, well I will think so.

Minor progress report, not very exciting but a good night. I took the double piston rear brake apart. I used some Brakleen down the holes so my method of using a blow gun didn't splatter schmutz everywhere. I had my son use an old bath towel as catchers mitt, allowing me to use two hands to firmly press the blow gun on the bleed valve on one of them. He's inexperienced with mechanical work and got a fright when it popped, haha. I used double sided foam tape on the fluid transfer hole and put it in a vice to block that air exit, and blew them out with no trouble. The pistons and caliper bores were grungy from old fluid, but not corroded, had just a touch of the lightest rust on the pistons. A bit of work with a fine steel wool pad and they are like new. Am I weird because I find the disassembly and cleaning enjoyable? Maybe I'm OCD, so be it. I'll bead blast them at my friend's place and paint with VHT satin black, and they'll look and work like new.
                Last edited by oldGSfan; 03-14-2020, 01:13 AM.
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

What type of fuel system does this bike use? EFI? Can you get some close up images of the intake/fuel delivery system?
                  - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                  - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Cool project all the parts are there, kind of like those modeling kits I put together when I was kid.
                    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Post up pictures of your missing frame bits
                      I have an 81 1100 frame I'll be cutting up for frame reinforcement and such
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

It was running a Super B like this link - pretty pricey, I have the filter housing too, so I hope I can get some decent $ for it. I also have the original Keihin that came with the Mr. Turbo kit but I'm told a Mikuni HSR42 is an improvement. I found an AC Delco electric fuel pump with custom mount in the parts pile, but as purchased he had a huge hose (with a hardware store petcock) running right to the carb.

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
                        What type of fuel system does this bike use? EFI? Can you get some close up images of the intake/fuel delivery system?
                        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                        '79 GS100E
                        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                          Post up pictures of your missing frame bits
                          I have an 81 1100 frame I'll be cutting up for frame reinforcement and such
                          Thanks - but the '81 doesn't appear to have that forward mount for the side cover, according to the Partzilla diagram.

The only things I'm missing that I need for frame are the headlight brackets.

Cut off mount on brake side:

Other side intact for reference:
                          Last edited by oldGSfan; 03-14-2020, 09:22 PM.
                          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                          '79 GS100E
                          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                            It was running a Super B like this link - pretty pricey, I have the filter housing too, so I hope I can get some decent $ for it. I also have the original Keihin that came with the Mr. Turbo kit but I'm told a Mikuni HSR42 is an improvement. I found an AC Delco electric fuel pump with custom mount in the parts pile, but as purchased he had a huge hose (with a hardware store petcock) running right to the carb.
                            Gotcha, so it was a draw through setup?
                            - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                            - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Yeah it's a Mr. Turbo kit, more commonly on Z1R-TC dealer specials.

The legendary Kawasaki Z1R-TC, the world's first turbo motorcycle - and a bike with a reputation for a nasty, brutish and short life.
                              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                              '79 GS100E
                              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                                Yeah it's a Mr. Turbo kit, more commonly on Z1R-TC dealer specials.

https://www.odd-bike.com/2012/12/kaw...o-turbo-z.html
                                Great article, great time to be riding. Especially if you owned a big Z! (I did. An actual widowmaker, bought from my cousin's best friend's widow.)
                                Last edited by Rob S.; 03-14-2020, 10:36 PM.
                                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                                X