82 GS1100E Mr Turbo Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
    Yeah it's a Mr. Turbo kit, more commonly on Z1R-TC dealer specials.

https://www.odd-bike.com/2012/12/kaw...o-turbo-z.html
    Wow, very informative read. I've been wanting to build a turbo bike someday, and this might be an option.
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

I'm thinking about how to refinish my headers/exhaust. The header and connector pipes are discolored stainless steel, and while the chrome on the exhaust is not terrible, considering the rest of the bike will be as new I'd like to get them looking as good as possible.

CermaKrome or Cerakote (same deal I think?) seems to be the stuff, but I'm wondering if I can do the back of the exhaust in chrome, and the front in ceramic afterwards, and ceramic inside the full length. I'm pretty sure that the heat from the front part will melt my side cover if not ceramic coated. If not possible or crazy expensive I suppose the ceramic chrome look will be OK.

Any thoughts welcome. Another cheapo option is to just scrub them up as well as possible with Barkeepers friend or whatever works (I know there are thousands of opinions on this, not wanting to go into that here), then wrap the front part. The pitting on the chrome is not terrible, and worse on the inside where the salt from Bonneville got to it.
      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Very nice project. I remember one of the US magazines did a mr turbo project on 81 gs1100 , it made 180hp on the dyno. I am jealous always wanted one those beasts. About your exhaust, myself I would go the cheapo option for now and go back to it when you got it running good. Its nice that the header is stainless steel and the rest of your exhaust looks pretty good from the photos. I guess you are going for a complete re-wire. Modern electrics would look great on that bike.
        1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
          I'm thinking about how to refinish my headers/exhaust...wrap the front part.
          Please, don't wrap!

Wrapping screams to me of college student with only $10 to spend on the exhaust. Plus, wrapping never ages well. My 2 cents.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Yeah I hear ya on the wrap, it's cheesy. Maybe I can insulate inside the side cover. I think I'll take the advice from Cris. Get it running first etc.

I tried fitting the big fairing and side covers, but the bar cutouts seem to require bars so low that I'd hit the tank with them, hence the need to limit steering lock. That won't do. Plus the side covers hide the beautiful engine. So for now I'll go nekkid with that big 8" light. My last '82 GS1100E had a Wes Cooley style fairing with the 8" light, and it looked good, but is rarer than hen's teeth I bet.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            Please, don't wrap!

Wrapping screams to me of college student with only $10 to spend on the exhaust. Plus, wrapping never ages well. My 2 cents.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I think Airtech makes reproduction GS 1000s fairings. Airtech's stuff usually requires some fab work for mounting though.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Stainless exhaust scrubs up nice with red scotchbrite and WD-40. If your serious about a Cooley fairing, as mentioned Airtech makes nice ones( I have one) and reproduction mounts can be found in England/Europe. Maybe try/e-mail these guys. I had Triumph carbon fiber shipped here and shipping really wasn't that bad. The brackets are $145 USD + shipping. Their fairings are $108 USD if the price is current. https://www.suzukiperformancespares.co.uk/product/gs1000s-oem-style-fairing-brackets/2809/

https://www.suzukiperformancespares....se-fairing/86/

GS1000 S Type Fairing Kit. Fairing,Tinted Screen and Bracket Set. Suzuki Performance Spares, your premier source for quality new and used motorcycle parts.
                Last edited by limeex2; 03-17-2020, 09:36 AM.
                Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Another vendor to contact is also in the UK.
                  The S fairing with the larger opening for the 1100E headlight doesn't show on their page but i think it would be worth contacting them as i think they make their own products.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                    Another vendor to contact is also in the UK.
                    The S fairing with the larger opening for the 1100E headlight doesn't show on their page but i think it would be worth contacting them as i think they make their own products.
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GS...EAAOSwq~tZS5wj
                    Their website is up, now.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks Dave and Steve for info on the fairing, I sent them an Email asking about an 8" headlight version. You never know. I could always use a 'regular' size headlight but I liked the look with the train light.

Update:

I'll be off to the DMV on Thursday to re-title the bike. (still open in CA for now), so as of yet the engine remains in the frame.

I ordered a heap of parts from Partzilla - seals, rubber grommets, emblems etc. It's great that they have pretty much everything plus diagrams to help assembly (I am taking detailed photos too).

The rear brake is disassembled - I had two and one was pitted/rusted, but the other is fine. Both sets of pads are barely worn, one set is the original Tociko. I need to take the front calipers to my friend's house to remove the 14mm bolts with his impact driver, I don't want them to shear off by hand. Hopefully no issues getting them out.

I think I'll skip powder coating the frame, the only scuffs are on the front down tubes, and I can rattle-can them, they will look just fine. Same as the chain guard, it has the original sticker on it so I will just touch it up. I will powder coat many steel parts and some aluminum ones - brake parts mainly. I watched a video on Youtube on DIY Cerakote, he was very meticulous. Although I doubt I'll DIY them, I learned about the prep - he chem stripped, then cleaned with acetone before etching them in a blast cabinet with aluminum oxide. Seemed logical but tedious and messy, I hate messy work with strippers, ahem.

My 15 y/o son is big into Enduro mountain biking, and I'm his mechanic. I am trying (and trying) to teach him the finer points of maintenance and repair, with mixed results. He is quite interested in the GS and I'm teaching him to start from the bottom/outside and work up and in - brakes, suspension, frame, chain, etc. My late brother had a '65 Mustang and he did all the cosmetic stuff first (and only), and it sat in the garage until I got it running and did a brake job on it. Maybe he was just smarter than me.

My job is going to 50% 'work' from home starting Thursday. It will be hard to focus with the old GS in the garage calling me.

Sorry for the long post but it's kind of boring today at work!
                      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                      '79 GS100E
                      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                        At the exchange rate, that fairing is only $70
                        Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                        Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                        Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
                          At the exchange rate, that fairing is only $70
                          No screen with that, though.
                          ---- Dave
                          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I strung up the fairing to have a look, the metal frame mount bolts into the rear engine to frame bracket, and I just hung it with some twist ties in front. Hmmm..... I think I can move the clip-ons forward a bit and maybe not foul the tank, will see.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 03-17-2020, 10:40 PM.
                            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                            '79 GS100E
                            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Oh, no - lowers! Can't see the engine!
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                                Oh, no - lowers! Can't see the engine!
                                I know, and all the turbo goodies hidden too. I love fairings, but lowers, not so much.
                                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                                '79 GS100E
                                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                                X