How do I install LED turn signals/brake light/etc on my 1980 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I install LED turn signals/brake light/etc on my 1980 GS750

I'm sure the answer is here somewhere but there are so many threads that I thought I'd just ask it out right. I"m going to be removing the stock brake light turn signals etc and installing an LED strip to take the place of all that. I figured since I'm going that route I might as well do the front turn signals. Any help or even pointing me to the most useful thread would be great. Thank you very much. I haven't started hooking anything up yet so maybe by magic everything will work but I highly doubt it.

I replaced the stock bulbs with led bulbs I also changed the turn signal relay to an electronic one.
    sigpic1979 GS 1000E
    Southside Chicago

Comment

I would not install an led strip, way too little light. There are new 1156/1157 bulbs with projectors that are excellent and brighter than inconsistent due to the d focused light.

Last edited by posplayr; 03-12-2020, 05:08 PM.

Comment

I'm losing the stock signals all together and I've seen a bike with the all in one led strip before and was pretty happy with the results. This is just a back and forth to work 2 miles bike so I'm not overly concerned about performance. Bigabee how did you do the electronic flasher install/wiring and what one did you get? Thanks.

Comment

It is complicated but if you fits her the tcsu then any 2 pole electronic flasher will work.

Comment

First of all, you have to ask yourself a couple important questions:
            1. Does your state have vehicle inspections that include motorcycles? If they do, no "strip of LEDs" is going to pass as your primary lighting on the rear. Supplemental, yes. Primary, no.
            2. In your "2 miles to work", does anyone ever get behind you?
            3. Do you have anyone that would miss you in the event that someone ran into you because they couldn't see you?

Yeah, I sort of get the idea of a clean look on the bike, but let's face it, bikes are already hard for the general public to see, why make it harder? Some of us have gone in the other direction by making the bike bigger AND by adding lights.

Now, to answer your question: switching to LEDs is pretty much swapping the bulbs, but then you have some problems. In the stock tail light, you need to have a bulb that radiates light all around, so it will hit the reflector and project back, through the lens. Many LEDs will appear to be much brighter than a stock bulb, but it's only in one or two points, and they don't hit the reflector, so you only see one intense spot of light, not the 25 or so square inches of light in the stock housing.

Turn signals are yet another matter. Yes, there will be the same lack of filling the lens with light, but LEDs don't draw nearly as much current as stock bulbs. The flasher unit is a thermal unit that requires a certain amount of current flowing through it to operate properly. When you turn the switch ON, your signals will likely come ON and stay ON, not flashing. An electronic flasher might help.

Does your bike have auto-cancel signals? That raises another difficulty, as the flasher has no direct replacement on ANY vehicle, ANYWHERE, if you want to retain the auto-cancel feature. If you don't mind giving up the auto-cancel, you can re-wire the socket a bit and install a generic electronic flasher.

While we are at it, let's bring up one more aspect of the project. Other than cleaning up the look, was there any hope of reducing the load on the charging system? If so, you will need to replace the voltage regulator, too. The stock regulator is optimized for the load of the stock lights. Reducing the load will cause the regulator to shunt more power through the stator, causing damage. A newer, series-type regulator like the SH775 will prevent that.

Are the stock lights looking a bit more attractive yet?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

haha I figured someone would have some good information. So I've looked into a couple things since positing. I was going to swap the whole headlight out for LED with integrated turn signals. I'm not going to do that now. I'm going to keep the stock headlight and bulb. I currently have aftermarket turn signals but they are incandescent bulbs. They got damaged when I tipped it over. haha. Now I'll be cutting the rear end apart a bit, tossing a hoop in there and doing a cafe type seat on top. The lighting that will changed will be LED turn signals brake light rear running light and I'll have to do something with the license plate light. I'd keep the big tail lamp assembly but it won't be possible with what I'm doing to the rear end. The whole reason I'm doing this is to swap the seat out basically. everything works fine right now. Suggestions are always welcome. Maybe I'll find something with incandescent for the license plate lighting.

Comment

Also where is the flasher on my bike? I haven't had a lot of time to dig for it but if anyone knows where it's at on a gs750L I'm all ears.

Comment

Maybe not pertinent to this thread but to others thinking of going to led headlights. There are full plug and play set ups for Harleys which have 7" lamps as do most of our GS's. This set works extremely well as the reflectors are set up for led bulbs. Sorry for the hijack, carry on.
                  Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                  Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                  Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

I was actually looking into that setup myself but the 7 inch won't fit into our housings I don't believe. The currently globe that's in it, is a 6.5 inch. now keep in mind you'd have to do some retrofitting so it wouldn't rattle around. If you have examples of how you did it or whatever I'm all ears. I'd still like to do the full integration of the turn signals etc. I don't ride this bike a whole heck of a lot so the longevity of the electrical system probably isn't a huge concern.

Comment

You are correct on the headlight. However, if you change the bucket AND the mounting ears, you can go with a 7" light. Several members have upgraded their Ls and Ts with the smaller lights to the larger buckets and a 7" TruckLite. I went a step farther and changed my 7" round light to a 200mm rectangular light in the fairing, and it's also a TruckLite. Great light, if you can afford it.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

yeah I might just keep my headlight as it is and snag some LED turn signals. little bit easier. If it aint broke don't fix it. Any idea on the flasher location?

Comment

Likely attached to the side of the battery box. Probably not round, like you would expect in a car.

Never did see a reponse to the question of whether you have auto-cancel signals. Might make a difference which flasher would be recommended.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

As to swapping turn signals to LED, one thing that hasn't been mentioned is adding resistors to create more load. This would save you the trouble of replacing the flasher and any voltage regulator issues. They're relatively cheap on eBay and easy to install, solves a lot of issues in one flail swoop.
                            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Thanks steve and thanks lab3. I don't have auto canceling turn signals. I looking up information on my 78 cx500 build that i did and everything works fine with that bike. I"m going to use the same flasher as that setup. the resistor thing is interesting though. Guidance on how to add those? I rewired an entire honda cx500 but it's funny I really don't know a lot of technical electronics. I can read a wiring diagram is about as far as it goes. I decided to skip the new headlight conversion after bounding back and forth I'll rock my led strip and led front turn signals. I'll have to design some sort of setup for illuminating the rear plate when the time comes.

Comment

Working...
                              X