No announcement yet.

How do I install LED turn signals/brake light/etc on my 1980 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This one makes it easy. If it where me, I'd plug the positive wires into the yellow pair and see if it slows down the flash where you want it to be. If it wasn't slow enough, I'd plug the negative wires into the black pair, that should give you all the resistance you need.

You could get them cheaper, but this one's a no brainier and already located in the US, you wouldn't have to wait a month to get them plus the connectors are already in place!

1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
      This one makes it easy. If it where me, I'd plug the positive wires into the yellow pair and see if it slows down the flash where you want it to be. If it wasn't slow enough, I'd plug the negative wires into the black pair, that should give you all the resistance you need.

You could get them cheaper, but this one's a no brainier and already located in the US, you wouldn't have to wait a month to get them plus the connectors are already in place!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Motorcyc...-/283596171929
      no brainer? You have to cut and solder 8 wires to install 4 devices instead of a plug in electronic flasher that is probably 1/2 the price. No brainer indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by thkbaron View Post
        I'll have to design some sort of setup for illuminating the rear plate when the time comes.
        Nothing to design, all the work has been done for you.

I have the chrome version on my bike. Got them at Auto Zone for less than $10.

Last edited by Steve; 03-13-2020, 06:38 PM.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          no brainer? You have to cut and solder 8 wires to install 4 devices instead of a plug in electronic flasher that is probably 1/2 the price. No brainer indeed.
          No cutting, no splicing. The connectors are already in place.

Comment

not what you care to hear, but IMO it's a waste of time putting leds in for turn signals. I have some installed so I'm not making this up to be curmudgeonly.
            firstly, you don't save a lot of power, unless you spend a lot of time in turn lanes.
            secondly, you lose the safety feature of your dash indicator lights informing you one is malfunctioning.
            thirdly, you will have to futz with your dash indicator lights,
            fourthly, they aren't a big improvement in brilliance
            fifthly, a lot of the bulbs aren't compliant to DOT -not that I've heard of anyone getting fined, but in an accident, you never know how clever a lawyer might be.

Comment

yeah I'm redoing the seat on my bike and taking off the rear fender so I don't have any place for my big ass light to sit anymore so that's the reason I'm messing around in the first place. Honestly if there was a good way I could just use standard bulbs and accomplish what I want to I would. I'm not an led snob by any means.

Comment

Well, that makes sense . Just be aware, unless you're upgrading gauges too, you will want some little leds to tuck into them as indicators...or a "diode scheme" to use the original incandescent bulbs, but the little leds are far simpler.

Comment

So I can expect my turn signal indicator to not work when I install the led signals? That's what yer saying?

Comment

yes, that's what I'm saying. If you have two dash-indicator bulbs, you can fudge them to work but a single bulb needs modification

go here and look for it
                    electrical_odd-n-ends

Comment

Thanks for the heads up

Comment

Hmmmm, guess that makes another good case for resistors....

Comment

yeah I've never dug into the electrical system in this bike. I know a CX500 inside and out but not this one. I was never really going to build this one. haha. my plans are to get a new bike eventually. I've been working on that for 8 years. haha. Kids get in the way. When I do it'll be an Indian scout bobber. At least as of now that's what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                            Hmmmm, guess that makes another good case for resistors....
                            not really. Diodes are better and, even better, you can nowadays get tiny leds with the same sockets (is it T10? I'd have to check-it's been awhile since i fiddled...) that run straight from 12volts (ebay) and . I have the whole dash lit with them on a couple of bikes. They are really cheap because some of them don't agree with the 'CanBus" of modern car computers so they're dumping them.
                            Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-15-2020, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Well once I get it all swapped over and I have annoying problems. I'll consult you guys. My crap should be her this week.

Comment

ok so I have a problem. I installed the new flasher relay and I've got them to flash just fine except when I turn the left on the both flash and when I turn the right on the both flash. From the problems I had before when I did the cx500 wiring this happened and I ran into a back feed problemI believe through the idiot light. I put a diode in there and that fixed the problem. I'm guessing it has something to do with the way the internals on the LED turn signals are wired. I tossed diodes in right before I hooked the signal up and that oddly didn't seem to work. reverse the diode and no light at all and flip it the other way and the same issue. What am I missing here folks?

Comment

Working...
                                X