No announcement yet.

How do I install LED turn signals/brake light/etc on my 1980 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve has a diagram describing a two diode solution. I have never dealt with it so do not remember the details.

That said, you want either directional side to power the LED indicator but not feed the other side.

So you would wire from either directional side through a blocking diode (banded cathode toward the indicator light). This way current can not go from one side to the other, but rather only through to the indicator.
    Last edited by posplayr; 05-02-2020, 05:27 PM.

Comment

could I just have to toss a diode on the flasher relay itself with this new one? Oh and are the front lights running lights too? I can't remember now!
      Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2020, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        Steve has a diagram describing a two diode solution. I have never dealt with it so do not remember the details.

been a while since I've been on the forum. Steve?

Comment

Learn for free about math, art, computer programming, economics, physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, finance, history, and more. Khan Academy is a nonprofit with the mission of providing a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by thkbaron View Post
            could I just have to toss a diode on the flasher relay itself with this new one? Oh and are the front lights running lights too? I can't remember now!
            You can design it anyway you like. However, if you want it to work follow what i describe.

Comment

I understand how a diode works but when I install them they both still blink when either the right or left is switched on. Just wondering where I'm going wrong or if it has something to do with the turn signals themselves. In comparability etc.

Comment

ok. I'm dumb. someone earlier I think already explained this to me. I forgot I have an idiot light for turn signals that's no longer working since I installed the signals. but that's my back feed problem I'm sure since I only have one light!

Comment

At least I’m assuming this is the problem someone else can correct me if I am mistaken

Comment

And any links to the led indicator bulbs for the dash?

Comment

turnindicatordiode_schematicforLed.jpgThis is for a Honda with a SINGLE dash indicator. For SUZUKI, the wire colours converted are are:
                      Honda lb,O =Suzuki lg(light green), B (black)
                      Honda G=Suzuki B/W(black/white stripe=ground)

so...you need ADD a wire to tap into a handy B/W wire nearby.

If you want to dispense with the incandescent, you can replace the diodes with tiny 12v leds,tuck them in the same hole in the gauge OR mod the dash and have INDEPENDENT 12v leds for left and right indicators.

Your led turn signals will NOT function independently with the original dash indicator's wiring. The bulb in the dash with the original wiring CONNECTS all turn signals together. They work with this bulb in place because your new leds draw very little power and the incandescent bulb is seen as a small resistor to them-nothing more.
                      Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-03-2020, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Hey thanks for the help everyone. I got the electronic flasher all done and the rest of it. Selling the bike tomorrow. it didn't last a day on craigslist. I'm going to miss it. It was a good bike but I'm back into a new one now. I didn't have any problems in six years with it. Hopefully it treats the new owner just as well.

Comment

Did you replace the flasher? If so what did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Nothing to design, all the work has been done for you.

I have the chrome version on my bike. Got them at Auto Zone for less than $10.

After reading this thread I'm going to stick with the stock lights. But.... I do like this license plate frame. It looks like an effective way to add visibility to the bike. Is it a straight forward install? Does it play nice with the stock turn signals? Thank you.

sigpic
                            1980 GS750L

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                              not really. Diodes are better and, even better, you can nowadays get tiny leds with the same sockets (is it T10? I'd have to check-it's been awhile since i fiddled...) that run straight from 12volts (ebay) and . I have the whole dash lit with them on a couple of bikes. They are really cheap because some of them don't agree with the 'CanBus" of modern car computers so they're dumping them.
                              I was planning to replace my turn signal bulbs with LEDs with built in resistors. Any downside?
                              1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Working...
                              X