scraped good enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scraped good enough?

straight razor worked great i must say, now i didnt sit and perfect it but i got the chunks of gasket off and all that sits on is blotches of old gasket residue basically. would it still be enough to cause a leak?

would putting rtv on the edge of the gasket a good reassurance to help prevent leaks or is it unnecessary if it isnt supposed to have it in the first place.

I PROMISE THESE MILLION QUESTIONS IVE BEEN ASKING WILL BE OVER SOON, EVERYTHING JUST HAS TO BE PUT TOGETHER AS FAR AS IT GOES, JUST HAD A LEAKY PAN TO REDO AND DOUBLE CHECKED THE VALVES AND BROUGHT UP AN ISSUE.

my confidence in this is not high if you cant tell by how much i worry about doing things wrong or not good enough. feel bad for the people who see my posts filling up spaces

Last edited by timebombprod; 03-13-2020, 04:12 PM.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Keep scraping............

You're nearly there. When you have clean, smooth metal you're good to go. Be careful not to gouge the mating surfaces. If you get any small nicks, use some fine wet and dry to smooth them out.
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Yep, it's too tempting to just call it enough when you've spent ages getting it 98% clean.
      That remaining 2% will cause a leak, believe me. It might not be a major leak, but an annoying one nonetheless.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

keep goin', bud. be careful.
        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Don't worry about asking questions. That's one of the reasons this forum still exists.

More scraping and no RTV
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I hate to be blunt, but since you asked, ...

In the first picture, see that spot about the middle of the left side?
            The area at the bend and almost to the next bolt hole?
            Rather nice and shiny. When the rest of it looks like that, you'll be done.
            Right now, the rest of it looks rather untouched.

Comment

If you're going to use anything the non setting type would be better for this than RTV but clean & dry is best...
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                Don't worry about asking questions. That's one of the reasons this forum still exists.

More scraping and no RTV
                This exactly.
                We were all newbies at one so don't feel bad about asking the questions.
                Keep at it.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I'll add another voice to the spend more time on it crowd. You'll get there with some patience. I like the fact you walked away from it for a bit; now go back at it with a fresh mind.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

It's not the destination...

You're going to be one with that engine case before you're through.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I had the pleasure of removing the oil pan on my 650 twice, a few months ago. The pan that came on the bike had a knackered drain hole. Surprised that the plug stayed in. Bought a used pan and installed it. Some how I didn't notice that the ebay pan had a light crack and of course, eventually leaked. Bought an installed yet another ebay pan and good to go. Another vote for cleaning the mounting surface up very well. Also, be careful that the small o-ring that you can see in your last photo of the underside of the sump doesn't drop out. I changed mine out the second time with a new one for giggles. I had to use a tad of grease to reliably get it to stay in place. Good luck and you'll soon be there.
                      1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

these words arent sitting well with me right now
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

There is a huge sense of satisfaction when you have struggled with a job on the bike, whether it's time consuming and you want a short cut or you just don't know what on earth is wrong or how to fix it, then after some advice and quite often a break from repeating the same thing for hours you finally step back and say to yourself " I sorted that".
                          If the advice on he forum is 'clean' or 'torqued up not just squeaky tight' then it's the right advice. You will get to the point where the bike is running as long as you don't panic, do each step one at a time. Don't panic about how much fuel you have if the carbs and the tank are still not fitted to the bike. One step at a time.
                          1978 GS750(E) I think

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                            these words arent sitting well with me right now
                            the words are fine now, thought i had a serious issue at the time.
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                              It's not the destination...

That might not work out too bad, he could be next in line to star in a Progressive Insurance ad if the current guy (Motaur) decides to move on to another gig.
                              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
                              X