scraped good enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
    the words are fine now, thought i had a serious issue at the time.
    Those where not your words, you just arranged them!

Keep asking, quit questioning.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I have used a brass wire brush with my electric cordless drill gently to remove those stubborn bits that are hard to remove. It worked like a damn and did not leave any scratches or gouging as what some may think. I placed a rag in the engine area (as I had the engine out and mounted on a rack inverted) to prevent any crap from flying into the engine. It worked wel but once or twice I caught the rag with the brass brush on the drill ...
      GS550T 1981
      GS850G 1983
      GS650G 1982
      GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

I have used brass bristle brushes, the more worn down the better, for many gasket removal projects and never had a leak afterward. If it's a gasket that uses sealant, that will fill any scratches, but I've never seen any scratches after using brass.

Originally posted by Mr.humbucker View Post
        I have used a brass wire brush with my electric cordless drill gently to remove those stubborn bits that are hard to remove. It worked like a damn and did not leave any scratches or gouging as what some may think. I placed a rag in the engine area (as I had the engine out and mounted on a rack inverted) to prevent any crap from flying into the engine. It worked wel but once or twice I caught the rag with the brass brush on the drill ...
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Caution When using brass or any wire wheels on drills/dremels. At the very least, WEAR EYE PROTECTION! And you might have to throw away any shirt you're wearing. Those little wires fly everywhere and embed themselves in your skin and clothes.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Yes to a brass wire wheel on a Dremel!
            Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
            2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Never tried a wire wheel, but I do use a fine scotchbrite pad and WD-40.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
              1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I'm chiming in with another helpful personal experience post

Here it comes:
                I use this stuff on the gasket remnants, as it does not hurt the metal (after removing most of it with a scraper). Kind of synthetic fleece.

41YepuKK6OL._AC_.jpg

Makes this

look like this

Thanks to that Scotch Brite stuff my engine is leak free, and I support the oil industry only as much as I have to...
                sigpic
                1978 GS1000 EC

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                  Never tried a wire wheel, but I do use a fine scotchbrite pad and WD-40.
                  I 2nd red Scotchbrite and WD-40 for a beautiful finish! Ive always used WD-40, fresh razor blades and a lot of patience on the gasket. VERY sparingly use YamahaBond #5 on the gasket.
                  Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                  Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                  Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

ended up using a brass wire brush and the straight razor, wroked well, while it wasnt spotless it was damn near close. ive tightened it on and inspected all around the gasket lining to see that everything "looked" sealed, there was one rough spot i put jb weld on just incase, so itll be a few hours before i put oil in there to make sure theres no leaks. will triple inspect before putting oil. the one thing that may now suck is part of the oil pan is jb welded to fill in a dent, so if it does still leak, now i got jb weld to scrape aswell.

thanks for the brass wire suggestion and the others, the brass just came in handy since i already had a brush sitting around, that isnt brand new so it wasnt as rough.
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

good news, no leaks, probably didnt need the jb weld for it, got to install the exhaust agin this time with washers, kinda messed up and stripped 2 of the screws (the head) so those 2 dont sit too tight, you cant loosen them with ur hand but its still not as well as they were. buddy said he could redrill to go a size up and i do trust him he has grown up in a machine shop and builds his own boat trailers from scratch, while that isnt a bike, he knows his tools and crafts well.

what do you guys think? i thought of just locktight or getting a bolt a size longer, but i am not the one with the brains in this situation.

very happy my pan isnt leaking anymore, will possibly be fitting my intake side of things today.
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

Use a timesert or helicoil. That way, you hardly need worry about ever again stripping them.
                        If you just go a size up, you've already reached the max you can go.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

If you have just stripped the threads and have easy access then Helicoil the threads rather than drilling oversize and having a stepped stud.
                          1978 GS750(E) I think

Comment

Hereafter, seriously consider a small torque wrench that does Inch/lbs. I'm sure mine has saved me from stripping things many times and paid for itself over and over.

Comment

gonna just put this out there because i can only learn if somebody tells me im wrong, whats the correct exhaust bolt size? i have m7 1.0 bolts in there, it seemed okay, but not necessarily right
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

M8 x 1.25 if I recall correctly. Let someone else confirm before you buy (or try to fit) replacements.
                                Last edited by steveb922; 03-18-2020, 12:32 PM. Reason: Gave wrong info
                                1980 GS550ET

Comment

Working...
                                X