Actually:
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
      Actually:
      It ran on one of the movie channels available on extended basic cable recently (MGM?)
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

ha! i like that bit riding the railroad track! We have a disused track running half the length of Vancouver island, not including the logging railroads up north..I might try that!

Comment

There was a guy here that back then that built one out of a 750ss Ducati... Was kinda bobber style. Most people thought it was an early sporty.
          Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I was there. I built an XS650 hardtail for my 16 year old son, it's still here. My nephew & I built a 750 Triumph twin. It was really common to find stock bikes with extended forks. Springers were a big deal, the coolest ones had the twisted steel look. 750 Hondas, mostly, and the occasional 900 Kaw. Always a king-queen seat. Yamaha made the TX750 for only a short time, and some build your own chopper kit outfit bought all the left over engines. They were advertised in all the major mags. Rarely saw chops out on the road, mostly bar hoppers.
            Last edited by wymple; 04-24-2020, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
              I was there. It was really common to find stock bikes with extended forks.
              Yes it was:

asset (1).jpg

1975, I was 18.

1971 CB350 6 inch over Forks by Frank, a real kitty magnet (look on the seat).
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Forking by Frank. A motorcycling legend.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                  I was there. I built an XS650 hardtail for my 16 year old son, it's still here. My nephew & I built a 750 Triumph twin. It was really common to find stock bikes with extended forks. Springers were a big deal, the coolest ones had the twisted steel look. Always a king-queen seat. . They were advertised in all the major mags. Rarely saw chops out on the road, mostly bar hoppers.
                  watch this guy shadetree surgeon on youtube and he has a xs650 chopper, love the look and its ALOT cheaper than a panhead, and yes the king and queen seat is mandatory if i ever build/have a chopper, it doesnt look like one without it to me. hardtail, springer front, twisted forks, all early chopper ideals, the choppers you see now are great works of custom bikes but i still love the oldschool look.

also watch hunting harleys a bit too, not my favorite but i like seeing old choppers and such and the occasional photos/history that he'll have with a bike. very true that you dont see them on the road, if it was all the parts you wanted, and as clean as could be, its a magazine bike. the ones on the road are the ones resurrected from the junkyard, at least at the time.
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

6530499C-1355-4651-B4F4-849836DF3124.jpgSaw this on another site, thought I would post here.
                    1982 GS1000S Katana
                    1982 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by pano View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]60904[/ATTACH]Saw this on another site, thought I would post here.
                      For the day, a fairly conservative guy on a fairly conservative bike (no raking). I wonder what the price on the pump is.

Left foot on the rear drum (if it was before '71), right foot dragging the ground to stop.
                      Last edited by Rob S.; 04-30-2020, 09:54 PM.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by pano View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]60904[/ATTACH]Saw this on another site, thought I would post here.
                        Godawful hideousness squared
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                          watch this guy shadetree surgeon on youtube and he has a xs650 chopper, love the look and its ALOT cheaper than a panhead, and yes the king and queen seat is mandatory if i ever build/have a chopper, it doesnt look like one without it to me. hardtail, springer front, twisted forks, all early chopper ideals, the choppers you see now are great works of custom bikes but i still love the oldschool look.

also watch hunting harleys a bit too, not my favorite but i like seeing old choppers and such and the occasional photos/history that he'll have with a bike. very true that you dont see them on the road, if it was all the parts you wanted, and as clean as could be, its a magazine bike. the ones on the road are the ones resurrected from the junkyard, at least at the time.
                          The looks thing to me has to do with fit and finish. The "back in the day" look is due to custom parts made by hand and the imperfections that resulted from that. With AutoCAD and 5 axis milling machines the custom bikes these days look like they came off the showroom floor or bolted together from parts out of the Arlen Ness catalog. My favorites are the ones a guy did in his own garage, maybe with the help of some buddies. That has more to do with "good old days" nastalgia than anything else.
                          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I saw one of these godawful things at the gas station the other day while filling up the Sportster. It was based on a Sportster, looked similar to the one below. No front brake, handlebars about 12" wide, just hideous. Motor sounded really good, though.

~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

migod! no front brake! (...and it Looks like he's steering a shopping cart)

Comment

I kind of like it. A slice of the 70's... I'd never ride it though, but it would good in a collection. 👍
                                My Motorcycles:
                                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                                79 1000e (all original)
                                82 850g (all original)
                                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                                X