Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where did all my oil go??

Hey guys (and gals),
    I have been riding my 450L around for about 1100mi at this point, had to top the oil off once but otherwise it seemed ok.

Today just as a routine check I pulled the dipstick out, and... bone dry. The bike's on fairly level ground, and I measured while the bike is on its center-stand. I even jostled the bike like a see-saw just for s#its and giggles, still nothing on the stick.

I have a bit of oil residue around the area where the oil filter is and where there is for sure a slow leak from the cam tensioner.. but what the heck, I couldn't expect ~3L of oil to just vanish like that. No oily exhaust, it just seems like a magic trick.

What can I do to track this down? I've been using castrol 20W50.
    1982 GS 450L aka Lil' Red
    1980 GS 1000G aka Big Red (Resto-mod WIP)

IMG_20200322_100306.jpg
    This the known oil leak, if it helps. Still.. a drop at a time.

Comment

This has happened many times to many people. DON'T add 3 or 4 quarts, assuming it's dry. Tilt it, start it, ride it. There's no universally accepted truth on where It's gone, but it will come back.

It's happened to me and others here more than once. Granted, all these instances were in bikes with sight glasses rather than dipsticks, but I don't think that's a factor.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

The bike's on fairly level ground?
        can you get a friend to help?
        lean bike slowly till oil appears
        mine has sight glass but oil goes below visible if canted to the left side of bike even on centre-stand
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Stop riding the bike and do a proper fill level check with the bike on level ground while on the center stand. The level should be checked COLD. Start up the bike and let it idle for a minute, then shut down and wait another minute before checking. Adjust as necessary. If no oil shows on the dip stick try adding 1/2 quart, not more, and then check again.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            This has happened many times to many people. DON'T add 3 or 4 quarts, assuming it's dry. Tilt it, start it, ride it. There's no universally accepted truth on where It's gone, but it will come back.

It's happened to me and others here more than once. Granted, all these instances were in bikes with sight glasses rather than dipsticks, but I don't think that's a factor.
            Hi Rob, thanks for the tip. I added a little bit of oil, exactly 1qt(946ml) and the bike shows a nominal oil level again.

I'm convinced that my issue with the seal on the cam tensioner may actually be worse than I thought, I see oil gunk on the frame near where I expect the drain below the starter motor would lead to.

Argh! Well.. no harm, no foul, I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Stop riding the bike and do a proper fill level check with the bike on level ground while on the center stand. The level should be checked COLD. Start up the bike and let it idle for a minute, then shut down and wait another minute before checking. Adjust as necessary. If no oil shows on the dip stick try adding 1/2 quart, not more, and then check again.
              Ah man, I wish I'd seen this sooner. Guess I'm buying a turkey baster haha.

Comment

Originally posted by free99 View Post
                Ah man, I wish I'd seen this sooner. Guess I'm buying a turkey baster haha.
                Just borrow the neighbors................
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Well, looks like 1qt was the right amount after checking more carefully. That's quite a lot of oil; in terms of a cause, the timing coincides with rebuilding the cam tensioner about two months ago. Hmm... Someone mentioned using baby powder on a clean engine to see where the oil was actually coming from over a day of riding, I think I'll give that a shot.

Thanks for all your help folks, and thank goodness it wasn't actually 2-3L gone.

Comment

My 450t will use oil when I'm running the interstate but doesn't use any if I stay on the two lane state highways. It seems that the higher speed has something to do with it and others have mentioned the same issue with other bikes other than the 450.

My cam chain tensioner also leaks a bit and to tell you the truth it would be one heck of a mess if one liter of oil dripped out of it in 1,000 miles of riding. One of the places I ended up having a leak was where the clutch actuator rod enters the case, this is located underneath the front sprocket cover. It's a rubber seal about the size of a half dollar with a small hole in the center to let the rod slide in and out of the engine/trans case. Since I probably lube my chain far too much I didn't really notice it leaking, I just thought it was all the lube I was using. Once I found that leak and replaced the seal, the high speed oil use was reduced significantly.
                    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Ah, well I am at WOT on the way to and from work at least twice a week. Perhaps that would explain part of it.

I'll check the actuator rod as well, thanks LAB3.

Comment

Looks like that would be item 09285-06011 if I need to replace it.

Comment

Working...
                        X