Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues with GS450L Tensioner remain

Hey folks,
    Having some last issues with my cam tensioner. After following the rebuild guide on Bwringer's site, I have an oil drip and a loud valve issue. A vid of the tensioner when I start the bike (only a little warmed up) is here: https://vimeo.com/399751039

The oil drip is here:
    IMG_20200322_100306shrunk.jpg

So at this point I want to put some loctite on the thread of the big nut for the handle, but I'd like to understand if I made a mistake in reassembly of the tensioner based on that vid. Why does the chain suddenly quiet when I twist it? I've preloaded the large spring around the tensioner, or so I believe. Anything obvious I'm missing?

Sorry about the basic questions, this is my first motorcycle and I don't want to damage anything.
    1982 GS 450L aka Lil' Red
    1980 GS 1000G aka Big Red (Resto-mod WIP)

When you twist the big knob, you are taking tension off the camchain...As a general rule, don't do it...if you loosen it too much you could conceivably get the camchain to skip a tooth. I don't KNOW that because I've only turned it a wee bit with the motor running as an experiment towards the somewhat popular mod of a "manual" tensioner. G*d knows why, but yes, it is a little quieter but that doesn't (to me) mean "better". It's just that people have popped in looking for a manual tensioner and it seemed kinda ridiculous to buy one when this one is so easily converted -just use the big-knob and the shaft lock.

Comment

The issue I'm trying to draw attention to is that there is play in the knob whether I go CCW or CW. CW should press down on the angled shaft within, CCW allows more play for the chain.

Shouldn't my bike have no CW play initially? I'm concerned I made a mistake in reassembly of the tensioner.

Comment

In my experience I have never been able to turn the knob CW. The plunger spring should be pushing it as far in (clockwise) as it should need to go.
        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
        1977 GS550
        1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
          In my experience I have never been able to turn the knob CW. The plunger spring should be pushing it as far in (clockwise) as it should need to go.
          I agree ...once released the knob will rotate CW to put pressure on plunger shaft ramp and thus on camchain. After that, no CW movement.
          free99 should remove tensioner and check for correct operation
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Looks like you were all correct, but in disassembling the tensioner I noticed there wasn't a lot of 'twist' to the spring when I'd originally disassembled it. After looking the rest of the tensioner over, and seeing that everything seemed ok, I reattached the big knob.

For any future readers with a GS tensioner: you'll need to first turn the shaft where the knob would go all the way counter clockwise. Spring is hooked on one side. When mounting the big black knob, hook the spring into the little hole on the knob, and turn the knob a further two turns counter clockwise before engaging it with the shaft, the idea being that you'll increase the load that the spring imparts into the cam tensioner. As mentioned, be sure to use threadlock (blue is fine) on the nut that holds the knob on, if that knob were to release, well.. best of luck.

This significantly quieted my cam chain/valves when I cold start Lil' red in the mornings.

Comment

Working...
            X