1979 GS1000E Engine vibration with rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS1000E Engine vibration with rpm

Hello everyone I am new here. I have fairly good mechanical knowledge just not allot of experience with this bike and am looking to learn everything that I can.
    I have a 1979 GS1000E I believe it is an (E) at least.
    The bike runs quite nice although before insuring for the summer I will be opening it up to check the valve clearances, and changing the carb boot o-rings as I have not done this and do not know the condition of them.

My main concern is that as rpm rises the engine vibrates worse and worse. Just a 45 min ride and my hands start feeling numb on the highway.
    I am looking for opinions on what may be causing the issue, I have not opened up the engine far enough to see if the clutch basket maybe has a busted off piece causing an imbalance or anything like that but other than that I am not sure what would cause it.
    Note- the vibration does pretty much go away when the clutch is pulled in and rpm drops to idle while riding.

I have also noticed the plugs are quite fouled up with some carbon build up on them (to rich) the plugs are NGK-BR7ES. I do not know if the carbs have been re-jetted in the past or if they are even stock carbs or not I am currently at 1250ft above sea level. On the bikecliff page I am seeing that I should be running NGK B8ES can anyone verify this for the GS1000 instead of the 850?

Thank you for your help it is very much appreciated
    Shawn Smith.

We'd love to see some photos, but perhaps more important is some information. What is your tach reading at 60 mph?

How many teeth on front and rear sprockets? How are the steering and swing arm bushings/bearings? Do you have a steering dampener installed?

New problem or new bike?
    Last edited by Rob S.; 03-27-2020, 09:05 AM.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Welcome Shawn,

the maintenance you put off doing may just solve the complaint.
      This issue is sometimes caused by dirty and unsynchronized carbs and/or valve timing.

But since you say :

Originally posted by shawnsmith View Post
      Note- the vibration does pretty much go away when the clutch is pulled in and rpm drops to idle while riding.
      the GS1000 has a weak clutch setup.
      The central clutch hub nut tends to come loose which causes a rumbling sound.
      The springs incorporated in the backplate of the clutch hub get short over time, causing a rinkling sound.

I suggest you pull the clutch cover to check, even if just for peace of mind.
      Last edited by Rijko; 03-27-2020, 01:25 PM.
      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by shawnsmith View Post
        On the bikecliff page I am seeing that I should be running NGK B8ES can anyone verify this for the GS1000 instead of the 850?
        On there, you can find a GS1000 Service manual.
        Download it, you'll find it useful when working on the bike.

In that manual you'll find the spark plugs specified : NGK B8ES or Nippon Denso W24ES.
        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Welcome to the site, Shawn.
          Agree with Rijko, carbs that have not been synched can cause an awful clutch racket/rattle. Which could lead to a vibration/buzziness.

If your plugs are carboned up and you do not know what jets are in the carbs it would probably be a good idea to do a complete cleaning.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Here's what you absolutely need to do to your bike

1A) (NEW) Trying to diagnose running problems on a bike with an unknown maintenance history. Common maintenance items like clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, no air leaks in the intake system (airbox, carb boots), a clean gas tank (no rust), and a properly functioning petcock are 100% mandatory for the bike to run properly.

Here's how you do it

Download the factory service manual and read the VM carb cleaning guide
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

As already mentioned, get the basics taken care of first, then attend to the details.

Check valve clearances. If the cylinders are not breathing approximately the same amount of air, the difference in the power from one cylinder to the next can definitely induce a vibration.

AFTER the valve clearance is done, sync the carbs. This will ensure that each cylinder is able to breathe the same amount of air through its carb, giving the same amount of power.

If those two don't help, go a little more 'exotic' with the diagnosis. I worked on one 1000 several years ago. Valve adjustment was perfect, carb sync was perfect. Had a slight roughness at idle, but not too bad. When adding some throttle, it just shook. Felt like a plug wire was pulled and it was running on three cylinders. After verifying spark on all four plugs, I checked ignition timing. The points for #2 and #3 opened and created spark perfectly. The other set of points actually opened and created spark at the right time, too, but only #4 was there at the right time, too. By putting a pencil through the spark plug hole and comparing #1 and #4, we found that #1 was getting to top dead center several degrees (about 15-20 or so) after #4, indicating a twisted crank. Hopefully that has not happened to yours.

Your spark plugs should be B8ES. The BR7ES is a hotter plug. Somebody might have installed it to burn off deposits that were making the plugs darker. If that was the case, it would be better to fix WHY there were deposits on the plugs, instead of applying a Band-Aid. There is also the possibility that someone thought that "hotter" plugs created a hotter spark and made the engine run better. I have met a disturbing number of people that believe that myth.

Regarding the "R": There does need to be some resistance between the coil and the tip of the spark plug. There are three places that can provide the resistance: wires, plug caps, spark plugs. Stock wires are copper-core wires, no resistance. Stock plugs also have no resistance. The plug caps are designed with about 5kΩ resistance. If you have resistive (aftermarket) wires or resistor caps, you do not need resistive plugs. However, if you have copper wires (stock) and non-resistor caps, go ahead and use BR8ES plugs.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Shoot Steve, hoping nobody would need to bring up the twisted crankshaft thing, That's major.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

While it can occur, it's pretty hard to twist a crank during normal use

Easy to test, remove 4 spark plugs, insert 4 plastic straws, rotate crank and see if they move up and down in pairs, 180 degrees apart
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                    While it can occur, it's pretty hard to twist a crank during normal use

Easy to test, remove 4 spark plugs, insert 4 plastic straws, rotate crank and see if they move up and down in pairs, 180 degrees apart
                    You really just need to check the two outside cylinders, 1&4. If the cranks twisted anywhere it will show up.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                      Shoot Steve, hoping nobody would need to bring up the twisted crankshaft thing, That's major.
                      Well, I don't like to bring up the worst-possible scenario right away, at least I gave two options to try before having to resort to the crank possibility.

And at least I'm not guessing on this one, I have seen it for myself.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yep, rarely twisted under normal riding, but how many of these bikes, way back then, weren't hammered on pretty regularly, or at least occasionally? Let's quit talking about it, that probably ain't it anyway.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                          Yep, rarely twisted under normal riding, but how many of these bikes, way back then, weren't hammered on pretty regularly, or at least occasionally? Let's quit talking about it, that probably ain't it anyway.
                          It happened often enough for Suzuki to weld the cranks on the bigger ones.
                          I also twisted an 850 one, during a cold start.
                          ---- Dave
                          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Yes, started welding them, I think, in "83" on the 1100 & 1150's with the 16 V cylinder heads. I think they left one journal, at the primary gear, not welded not welded???. But did Suzuki weld the crankshafts on the 8 V engines, I just don't remember hearing anything about the factory welding the 8 V.

Comment

Thank you everyone I will carry out the basic maintenance IE: valve clearances, carb cleaning and sync as well as identify the jet size and because it is an easy thing to check I will check if the crank is twisted (fingers crossed that it is not).
                              once I complete that I will post an update about if the vibration goes away or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X