Gs650g jumping out of 2nd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs650g jumping out of 2nd

My fiance has a 1982 GS650G. It has a problem where under anything more than light throttle acceleration, it jumps out of 2nd. She says it also jumped out of 3rd once but that was at the end of a high rpm pull. I've removed the clutch to look at the shift drum and don't see anything abnormal.

What should I look at next?15866322049188542752347715379681.jpg

To me ,those gear sectors look beat up....and probably the other parts lurking behind them. Second gear takes a lot of abuse ..hard acceleration doesn’t help during this up shift. I’d look for replacement parts including the shift shaft and the sector gear on drum.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sounds like a shifting fork is worn or bent. You need to split the cases to find out for sure. Others have found shift forks to be the cause and you can find a set on eBay or the parts forum on this site.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
        Sounds like a shifting fork is worn or bent. You need to split the cases to find out for sure. Others have found shift forks to be the cause and you can find a set on eBay or the parts forum on this site.
        I had thought so, but deep down I was hoping to avoid splitting the cases! Regardless, I spent some time getting the engine ready to pull. This is the first shaft drive ive worked on, and when it came time to remove the driveshaft I stopped to come inside and check the manual on how its removed.

Hopefully ill find the issue tomorrow

Comment

I would suggest maybe riding it yourself and seeing if it does it for you as well. One thing I had to re-learn when riding the GS after my Bandit is how much foot pressure I needed to get it in gear properly (Bandit is much easier). She may have to check her foot pressure and make sure she's getting it all the way in. Also, as was suggested to me last week, very the angle of the shift lever is correct
          sigpic
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Is the bike going into neutral or third when it happens? If it's going into neutral the forks may not be engaging it all the way due to damage or wear. Do you have a manual to work from?

Comment

I have ridden it myself and I made sure it was all the way selected, my DR350 has a very stiff shift so I'm used to slamming it. The lever goes through its travel without hitting or binding so I think the angle is ok. I do have a manual

I found anyway, that when it jumps out of 2nd it will rev for a second or two like it's in neutral and then find 3rd on its own.

I haven't gotten it apart yet, but it's almost like the dogs are rounded, and under power it jumps out, pushes itself into 3rd, but it needs to slow down and speed match the other dogs or whatever it needs to engage 3rd, but that's just speculation at this point...
              Last edited by Epic_username; 04-12-2020, 01:53 AM.

Comment

What you’re describing sounds to me like the clutch slipping, or sticking. At least the way I understand it. I’m experiencing the same thing only during hard pulls and quick shifts up through the gears. It’s not as pronounced as you describe. But I think it’s the same thing.

As soon as I get the last of the 6 new clutch springs I ordered I’m going to replace then. I plan to pull the plates and inspect the drive plates for glazing. Sand them if glazed. Replace them if out of spec. Also plan to inspect the basket for grooves that may need to be filed. This will be my first time doing any clutch work. So I’ll be following this thread as well.
                Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 04-12-2020, 09:16 AM.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Its definetly not clutch slippage, theres a mechanical clunk as it finds total neutral, or 3rd gear.

I got the cases apart. Definetly some issues there. Measured the shift forks, and they all were around 5.12-5.20 MM (Manual states 5.3-5.4 MM) So out of spec but they didnt look terrible...

I see some wear on the 2/3 drive gear dogs and the mating dogs on the 4th drive gear dogs, that create a very slight ramping motion. I see some wear actually on most of the dogs but none others cause any sort of ramping motiion.

I think the BIG issue is the 2nd driven gear. The bushing where it rides on the counter shaft (Forgive me if thats the wrong term, Im referring to automotive gearbox terminoligy) Has ALOT of slop.

I have a video that if I can figure out how to get it from my phone to the forum, I will upload.

We have ordered 2nd hand shift forks and a gear set

Comment

Heres the video link. Hopefully this works!

Comment

Ok all, my 2nd hand gearset is in and looks to be in pretty good shape.

Im sure this has been asked millions of times, but when it comes to sealing up the case halves, whats a good alternative to Suzuki Bond 1215?

I have a tube of loc-tite 518, which is an anaerobic flange sealer/gasket maker, would that work ok?

Comment

I used permatex 97 8 years ago and not a leak anywhere

Comment

Working...
                        X