1980 gs1100e Tuning Hack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs1100e Tuning Hack

Hey guys I’m new to the form. I just finished a build of a 1980 GS 1100e cafe build with pod filters and a 4 to 1 exhaust. When you take the needle out of the factory carburetor there’s a plastic spacer on top of it and a washer underneath the retainer clip, I removed the plastic spacer that’s on top of the retainer clip and the washer that was under the retainer clip and switched their places. I also added 120 main jets that I had laying around and it seem to be perfect after a little adjustment, I can’t figure out how to post photos but the bike came out great and I might be a Honda convert. Just thought I’d share.

For your consideration.
    -1980 GS1100 LT
    -1975 Honda cb750K
    -1972 Honda cl175
    - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

He doesn’t need it; it is already running “perfect”.

Originally posted by Tom R View Post

Comment

Richieleo, if you want to post pics, we’d like to see the them. The best was is to use a photo hosing website to host the pics, allowing you to post up to 10 pics in a single post. One of the popular sites people use for this in Imgur.com. It’s free and is fairly easy to use. I have an instruction post linked in my signature.

On the subject of signatures, it’s advised to create one in your user settings, with your bike(s) year and model info, at a minimum.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like mddmadman24.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures. Those are some odd ball pods that are not recommended. Maybe that is why you think it is running OK.

Comment

I do like the gunmetal engine color.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Tuning CV carbs can be a PITA. Good pods are a must IMO.
                80 GS1000E 150 main, 47.5 pilot, needle all the way up (fat needle) and 25mm float height, K&N pods w/V&H exhaust
                82 GS1100L 147.5 main, 45 pilot, needle all the way up (fat needle) and 25mm float height, UNI pods w/V&H exhaust
                82 GSX1100E 135 main, 45 pilot, needle at third notch from bottom and 22.5mm float height ***36mm carbs*** UNI pods w/V&H exhaust

From my little bit of experience working with these CV carbs there is nothing set in stone, each one is a little different.
                Jets are also different depending on where you buy them. I've gotten jets from different places that were all stamped 150 but pinned anywhere from 142-155. I pin match my jets and put them in separate bags. I mark the pin size and don't pay any attention to the stamping on the jet itself. Even the jets I've gotten from 6Sigma have pinned at +/- of the stamped size.
                2016 Ducati 1299s
                1989 BMW K100RS
                1982 GS1100E-current build
                1980 GS1000E-sold
                1982 GS1100L-sold
                1982 CX500-sold

Comment

Originally posted by winmag4582001 View Post
                  From my little bit of experience working with these CV carbs there is nothing set in stone, each one is a little different.
                  Jets are also different depending on where you buy them. I've gotten jets from different places that were all stamped 150 but pinned anywhere from 142-155. I pin match my jets and put them in separate bags. I mark the pin size and don't pay any attention to the stamping on the jet itself. Even the jets I've gotten from 6Sigma have pinned at +/- of the stamped size.
                  Even genuine Mikuni jets?
                  Are your jet sizes listed above genuine Mikuni or Mikuni type? I’ve heard when you get to these larger sizes, it doesn’t make much difference if you use the genuine jets or not, but flow rates probably don’t match up across brands. Does this line up with your experience?
                  Last edited by Tom R; 04-16-2020, 10:35 AM.
                  -1980 GS1100 LT
                  -1975 Honda cb750K
                  -1972 Honda cl175
                  - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

In my experience using a WB02 sensor and data recordings, if you just stick to Mikuni jets or the DynoJet jet kits you will be fine in adjusting mixture in steps.

Realize the WBo2 is sensing is at the 4:1 collector and the CV carbs are very inaccurate for AFR control because the floats bounce all over the place.

Comment

Working...
                    X