1983 GS1100GK project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS1100GK project

Hello everybody, new here. I have had this bike for a minute and after stripping it down I believe it is time to get it running again.
    HISTORY
    Bought the bike after discovering it hidden in a garage in Ky. Started and drove a little every year with solution added to the tank every winter. Was told the starter is out. Would roll start though. I also got the original front fairing and rear bags.
    Got home and the brake light stayed on unless you pull the brake. Removed the seat, rear and side plastics to look for a possible short. Turns out the front brake wire, at the handle, was in backwards.
    So now to the starter one day while looking for the brake problem the starter decides to works. Turns over fine, works fine, drives GREAT! Then one day it stops. Doesnt hit at all. Electric flows through the solenoid but nothing happens. My thought is the starter gears? I am not sure still.
    Attached Files

I considered selling but I have decided to strip the bike down for some freshening up. Tank paint, any frame rust removal (very little), the wiring is still the old wiring for the front fairing and bags, so I believe I will remove that and replace it with something more simple from a bike without all that extra unnecessary wiring while hiding the excess wires.
    I already have a new front fender "black", and new front and rear tires and rims (also black)
    Fix that starter problem
    New LED brake light
    Tape on the exhaust
    Paint gloss black front forks and handle bars
    Most motor pieces that I have in hand.
    Thoughts and advice is greatly appreciated. I have never worked on one like this before.
    Attached Files

Comment

New work done today. Removed the gas tank to replace the gas check the inside equipment. Looks great. So next is time to decide exactly what I want to do with the tank.
      Attached Files

Comment

I do not want to cut on the frame. I am thinking of fabricating a seat and cowl over the existing frame pieces.
        I also think I would like to keep the original emblems for the tank. I will probably paint them but I would like to keep them.

Comment

Welcome to TheGSR.

Yes, good idea that you started your own thread here.

///////////QUOTE
          Electric flows through the solenoid but nothing happens. My thought is the starter gears?
          //////////ENDQUOTE

If the solenoid is passing voltage to the starter, but starter is not running, not even a grunt or a whirrrr, then I would suspect the starter motor itself. (the motor, not the "gears") most likley the brushes.

A couple options would be
          You could rebuild the starter yourself
          this would be if you have a 4 brush motor
          Brush Set - Mitsuba
          Type: New
          Replaces: Mitsuba
          Stockers #: B-1
          Retail Price: $14.95
          Your Price: $9.95
          Brush Set for 4-brush Mitsuba small-engine starters
          (If you have a NipoDenso starter, will need the 2 brush kit. Need to remove the starter to see.)

or get a rebuilt starter

Starter - Suzuki Motorcycle
          Type: Remanufactured
          Stockers #: SS-5
          Retail Price: $209.95
          Your Price: $139.95
          Core Deposit: $50.00
          Starter
          Fits: Suzuki Motorcycle
          1980-1982 GS550
          1981-1982 GS650E
          1980-1983 GS750E
          1980-1983 GS850G
          1980-1982 GS1000
          1980-1984 GS1100

12 Volt, CCW, 9 Teeth

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yep, can see that is/was a GK, not a G.

///////QUOTE
            I already have a new front fender "black"
            //////ENDQUOTE

Note: GK forks are larger diameter and spaced further apart than a G.
            A GK front fender is about 3/4" wider than a G fender. I mention that if the fender you got was said to fit 1100G.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

Welcome to TheGSR.

Yes, good idea that you started your own thread here.

///////////QUOTE
              Electric flows through the solenoid but nothing happens. My thought is the starter gears?
              //////////ENDQUOTE

If the solenoid is passing voltage to the starter, but starter is not running, not even a grunt or a whirrrr, then I would suspect the starter motor itself. (the motor, not the "gears") most likley the brushes.

A couple options would be
              You could rebuild the starter yourself
              this would be if you have a 4 brush motor
              Brush Set - Mitsuba
              Type: New
              Stockers #: B-1
              Retail Price: $14.95
              Your Price: $9.95
              Brush Set for 4-brush Mitsuba small-engine starters
              (If you have a NipoDenso starter, will need the 2 brush kit. Need to remove the starter to see.)

or get a rebuilt starter

Starter - Suzuki Motorcycle
              Type: Remanufactured
              Stockers #: SS-5
              Retail Price: $209.95
              Your Price: $139.95
              Core Deposit: $50.00
              Starter
              Fits: Suzuki Motorcycle
              1980-1982 GS550
              1981-1982 GS650E
              1980-1983 GS750E
              1980-1983 GS850G
              1980-1982 GS1000
              1980-1984 GS1100

12 Volt, CCW, 9 Teeth

Thank you for this!!!
              I think I found my problem.
              Attached Files

Comment

I got the starter out and it looks like garbage. I really dont want to have to buy a new one so I think I will take a shot at saving this one. I dont have much to lose on it. May gain some knowledge in the process. Looks like it is a 4 brush.
                Attached Files

Comment

Not too concerned about the outside appearance.

Yah, Mitsuba are the 4 brush kind.

Inside you may find like mine in 2008

Top two pic as found.
                  Lots of the dust from worn brushes.
                  Brushes worn down to the connection wire, and worn short such that can turn crooked in the guide and not make good contact.
                  Would run sometimes and not otheres, run okay sometime, run weak other times.

Bottom pic after cleaning up commutator bars with emory cloth (on a 1x2, turn commutator in drill motor), and dig out some of the insulator between the commutator bars.
                  Other pic shows how I held the new brushes back so could reassemble back over the commutator.

I dont recall if I got just the brush kit, or if got the brushes and new plate. I think was just the brush kit, but dont recall what needed to do to reconnect the wires.

Has been good since then.
                  Last edited by Redman; 04-17-2020, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    Not too concerned about the outside appearance.

Yah, Mitsuba are the 4 brush kind.

Inside you may find like mine in 2008

Top two pic as found.
                    Lots of the dust from worn brushes.
                    Brushes worn down to the connection wire, and worn short such that can turn crooked in the guide and not make good contact.
                    Would run sometimes and not otheres, run okay sometime, run weak other times.

Bottom pic after cleaning up commutator bars with emory cloth (on a 1x2, turn commutator in drill motor), and dig out some of the insulator between the commutator bars.
                    Other pic shows how I held the new brushes back so could reassemble back over the commutator.

I dont recall if I got just the brush kit, or if got the brushes and new plate. I think was just the brush kit, but dont recall what needed to do to reconnect the wires.

Has been good since then.
                    This is great, I really appreciate the input. I will probably start the disassembly on the starter Sunday just to get a peek inside. The outside doesn't bother me much but it was pretty corroded. It womt hurt to have it cleaned up. I believe I will clean up the exterior while I am waiting on the brushes to come in.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bearjew View Post
                      Anybody know if this is part will work?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...0799516d2a8420

For the money id give it a shot. May need some fiddling. Maybe you could take measurements of the oem and check em at the store or even take in your parts.
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                        For the money id give it a shot. May need some fiddling. Maybe you could take measurements of the oem and check em at the store or even take in your parts.
                        I think I will give it a shot. Update coming as soon as I find out.

Comment

There's no indication of size or fitment on that page.
                          Chance of it working - I'd say about as much as me winning the Lotto tomorrow and I never buy a ticket.
                          ---- Dave
                          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Found my problem after the disassembly of my start. See attached picture. I am going for a full rebuild kit.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X