Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1983 GS1100GK project

Default 1983 GS1100GK project

Hello everybody, new here. I have had this bike for a minute and after stripping it down I believe it is time to get it running again.
    HISTORY
    Bought the bike after discovering it hidden in a garage in Ky. Started and drove a little every year with solution added to the tank every winter. Was told the starter is out. Would roll start though. I also got the original front fairing and rear bags.
    Got home and the brake light stayed on unless you pull the brake. Removed the seat, rear and side plastics to look for a possible short. Turns out the front brake wire, at the handle, was in backwards.
    So now to the starter one day while looking for the brake problem the starter decides to works. Turns over fine, works fine, drives GREAT! Then one day it stops. Doesnt hit at all. Electric flows through the solenoid but nothing happens. My thought is the starter gears? I am not sure still.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I considered selling but I have decided to strip the bike down for some freshening up. Tank paint, any frame rust removal (very little), the wiring is still the old wiring for the front fairing and bags, so I believe I will remove that and replace it with something more simple from a bike without all that extra unnecessary wiring while hiding the excess wires.
    I already have a new front fender "black", and new front and rear tires and rims (also black)
    Fix that starter problem
    New LED brake light
    Tape on the exhaust
    Paint gloss black front forks and handle bars
    Most motor pieces that I have in hand.
    Thoughts and advice is greatly appreciated. I have never worked on one like this before.

New work done today. Removed the gas tank to replace the gas check the inside equipment. Looks great. So next is time to decide exactly what I want to do with the tank.

I do not want to cut on the frame. I am thinking of fabricating a seat and cowl over the existing frame pieces.
    I also think I would like to keep the original emblems for the tank. I will probably paint them but I would like to keep them.

Redman is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Welcome to TheGSR.

Yes, good idea that you started your own thread here.

///////////QUOTE
    Electric flows through the solenoid but nothing happens. My thought is the starter gears?
    //////////ENDQUOTE

If the solenoid is passing voltage to the starter, but starter is not running, not even a grunt or a whirrrr, then I would suspect the starter motor itself. (the motor, not the "gears") most likley the brushes.

A couple options would be
    You could rebuild the starter yourself
    this would be if you have a 4 brush motor
    Brush Set - Mitsuba
    Type: New
    Replaces: Mitsuba
    Stockers #: B-1
    Retail Price: $14.95
    Your Price: $9.95
    Brush Set for 4-brush Mitsuba small-engine starters
    (If you have a NipoDenso starter, will need the 2 brush kit. Need to remove the starter to see.)

or get a rebuilt starter

Starter - Suzuki Motorcycle
    Type: Remanufactured
    Stockers #: SS-5
    Retail Price: $209.95
    Your Price: $139.95
    Core Deposit: $50.00
    Starter
    Fits: Suzuki Motorcycle
    1980-1982 GS550
    1981-1982 GS650E
    1980-1983 GS750E
    1980-1983 GS850G
    1980-1982 GS1000
    1980-1984 GS1100

12 Volt, CCW, 9 Teeth

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.

Super Site Supporter

Yep, can see that is/was a GK, not a G.

///////QUOTE
    I already have a new front fender "black"
    //////ENDQUOTE

Note: GK forks are larger diameter and spaced further apart than a G.
    A GK front fender is about 3/4" wider than a G fender. I mention that if the fender you got was said to fit 1100G.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post

Welcome to TheGSR.

Yes, good idea that you started your own thread here.

///////////QUOTE
    Electric flows through the solenoid but nothing happens. My thought is the starter gears?
    //////////ENDQUOTE

If the solenoid is passing voltage to the starter, but starter is not running, not even a grunt or a whirrrr, then I would suspect the starter motor itself. (the motor, not the "gears") most likley the brushes.

A couple options would be
    You could rebuild the starter yourself
    this would be if you have a 4 brush motor
    Brush Set - Mitsuba
    Type: New
    Stockers #: B-1
    Retail Price: $14.95
    Your Price: $9.95
    Brush Set for 4-brush Mitsuba small-engine starters
    (If you have a NipoDenso starter, will need the 2 brush kit. Need to remove the starter to see.)

or get a rebuilt starter

Starter - Suzuki Motorcycle
    Type: Remanufactured
    Stockers #: SS-5
    Retail Price: $209.95
    Your Price: $139.95
    Core Deposit: $50.00
    Starter
    Fits: Suzuki Motorcycle
    1980-1982 GS550
    1981-1982 GS650E
    1980-1983 GS750E
    1980-1983 GS850G
    1980-1982 GS1000
    1980-1984 GS1100

12 Volt, CCW, 9 Teeth

Thank you for this!!!
    I think I found my problem.

I got the starter out and it looks like garbage. I really dont want to have to buy a new one so I think I will take a shot at saving this one. I dont have much to lose on it. May gain some knowledge in the process. Looks like it is a 4 brush.

Super Site Supporter

Not too concerned about the outside appearance.

Yah, Mitsuba are the 4 brush kind.

Inside you may find like mine in 2008

Top two pic as found.
    Lots of the dust from worn brushes.
    Brushes worn down to the connection wire, and worn short such that can turn crooked in the guide and not make good contact.
    Would run sometimes and not otheres, run okay sometime, run weak other times.

Bottom pic after cleaning up commutator bars with emory cloth (on a 1x2, turn commutator in drill motor), and dig out some of the insulator between the commutator bars.
    Other pic shows how I held the new brushes back so could reassemble back over the commutator.

I dont recall if I got just the brush kit, or if got the brushes and new plate. I think was just the brush kit, but dont recall what needed to do to reconnect the wires.

Has been good since then.
    Last edited by Redman; 04-17-2020 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    Not too concerned about the outside appearance.

Yah, Mitsuba are the 4 brush kind.

Inside you may find like mine in 2008

Top two pic as found.
    Lots of the dust from worn brushes.
    Brushes worn down to the connection wire, and worn short such that can turn crooked in the guide and not make good contact.
    Would run sometimes and not otheres, run okay sometime, run weak other times.

Bottom pic after cleaning up commutator bars with emory cloth (on a 1x2, turn commutator in drill motor), and dig out some of the insulator between the commutator bars.
    Other pic shows how I held the new brushes back so could reassemble back over the commutator.

I dont recall if I got just the brush kit, or if got the brushes and new plate. I think was just the brush kit, but dont recall what needed to do to reconnect the wires.

Has been good since then.
    This is great, I really appreciate the input. I will probably start the disassembly on the starter Sunday just to get a peek inside. The outside doesn't bother me much but it was pretty corroded. It womt hurt to have it cleaned up. I believe I will clean up the exterior while I am waiting on the brushes to come in.