No announcement yet.

1983 GS1100GK project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What part of Alabama are you in? I'm in Greenville, just south of Montgomery.

Buddy
    09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
    83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
    81 GS650G for the wife.
    82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
    I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
    If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
    Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy View Post
      What part of Alabama are you in? I'm in Greenville, just south of Montgomery.

Buddy
      Huntsville, Al

Comment

Cool. I get up that way once in awhile. I'll look you up sometime. Check out North Alabama Vintage Motorcycle Club on facebook. They're a good group of guys. I know one guy up there has a 79 GS850G.
        09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
        83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
        81 GS650G for the wife.
        82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
        I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
        If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
        Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy View Post
          Cool. I get up that way once in awhile. I'll look you up sometime. Check out North Alabama Vintage Motorcycle Club on facebook. They're a good group of guys. I know one guy up there has a 79 GS850G.
          That would be fun. I am not on Facebook but I did look the group up. Maybe we can get together at one of their meets if they get to have any this year.

On a side note I am still waiting on parts for the starter but I got out and replaced the spark plugs today.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2020, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Converstation piece here: I had debated keeping the original paint but upon further examination and buffing attempts I believe it is too far gone. A chip by the pin stripe revealed that the brown gloss color was laid down over the nice flake color. Why would they paint the entire tank a nice flake color and then cover it up? I really wish there was a way to keep the color underneath and remove that top gloss brown. Sanding and paint removal is probably in the near future for this tank.

What process/steps do you all normally use when repainting a tank?
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bearjew View Post
              Converstation piece here: I had debated keeping the original paint but upon further examination and buffing attempts I believe it is too far gone. A chip by the pin stripe revealed that the brown gloss color was laid down over the nice flake color. Why would they paint the entire tank a nice flake color and then cover it up? I really wish there was a way to keep the color underneath and remove that top gloss brown. Sanding and paint removal is probably in the near future for this tank.

What process/steps do you all normally use when repainting a tank?
              Maybe a layering technique to produce a desired colour?
              If its a two tone paint job probably less labour intensive to so it that way?
              Oh the paint looks realy nice btw. Is that hand buffing? I went to work on mine years ago with some mguiars polish a drill and a buffer pad and it came out like glass.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Going to get a new battery. Guess this isnt the thread for this.
                Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2020, 03:26 PM.

Comment

(This thread/forum is the refurbishing of a bike donated to the site administrator)

It is:.....
                  The GSResources Project GS

A project bike donated to the GSR by one of its members to serve as a project and official bike of our website. Join in with your suggestions and comments.
                  Last edited by earlfor; 05-12-2020, 12:18 PM.
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Not to stick my nose in or anything, but the stator didn't look too good in that pic. It looks fried, to put it bluntly.
                    Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                    1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                    1981 GS1100E

Comment

Sounds like a fun project.

Comment

Working...
                      X