Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS650 undersize rod bearings --- any other source than suzuki? Bottom end help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650 undersize rod bearings --- any other source than suzuki? Bottom end help please

I tore apart the gs650g my son has due to a rod knocking when we cracked the throttle. I am attempting to scrape pennies at the moment since my wife, son, daughter and son in law are all out of work due to covid.

I found the rod journals to be 1.313 or 33.35mm. Journals are supposed to be ~34mm. It appears the crank has been ground previously.

The manual states service limit at .003".

I was hoping to install new rod bearings but it appears even the 0.5mm undersized would end up with .005-6" clearance. Those bearings are also discontinued. If I can find the bearings it would have 2x the clearance of a new engine.

Anyone know an alternate source for the bearings?

Should I try to find an uncut standard crank. If I do I presume I will need to replace the main and rod bearings which pushes this option to ~$300+

Call it quits and attempt to find another motor?

I would appreciate your opinions.
    The GS toys:
    79 GS1000L 1st bike sold many moons ago...
    78 GS550
    81 GS650G The son's
    82 GS650GL parts bike
    85 GS700ES in progress
    85 gs700E parts bike
    82 GS1000GL in pieces
    80 GS1100L in progress

Your best bet is to look through bearing manufacturers catalogues for shells which can be adapted.
    The Glacier catalogue used to be a good one but I haven't had to do this for years now.
    What you find will probably need work to adapt - oiling grooves can be cut, holes added if needed.

To an extent, your being in the US won't help. Anything you find listed will probably be for something obscure and small - which won't be imported to the US.

Comment

“Call it quits and attempt to find another motor?”

unfortunately yes.... A guy in California posted his nightmare of trying to do what you are attempting on his gs650....without success and after much expense. I’d bag it and take a chance on finding a good motor. Mine still running strong at 65k miles, so there are good ones out there.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

OK I get it....

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        “Call it quits and attempt to find another motor?”

unfortunately yes.... A guy in California posted his nightmare of trying to do what you are attempting on his gs650....without success and after much expense. I’d bag it and take a chance on finding a good motor. Mine still running strong at 65k miles, so there are good ones out there.
        I had a spare gs650gl bottom end laying about which had a bad rod bearing on #2. I pulled it apart to find it was worse than the one we are working on now.

I started looking for a cheap donor last night. I found one 90 minutes away for $200. We are going to pick it up today.

Thanks for the replies.

Rich
        The GS toys:
        79 GS1000L 1st bike sold many moons ago...
        78 GS550
        81 GS650G The son's
        82 GS650GL parts bike
        85 GS700ES in progress
        85 gs700E parts bike
        82 GS1000GL in pieces
        80 GS1100L in progress

Comment

Working...
        X