GS750 tidy up !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 tidy up !

Finally have got around to getting some work done on Gessie2, my 1979 GS750. The bike failed the MOT test about seven years ago on steering head bearings and although I bought a set of tapered bearings at the time, I just never got around to fitting them and so the poor old girl has been gathering dust in the garage ever since. Just before this last Christmas out of interest, I put a little gas in the tank and amazingly managed to get a bit of charge into her dead battery. Not enough to spin the starter, but a couple of swings on the kickstarter and she fired right up !. Ran sweet as a nut too, although stationary of course, couldn't ride as the brakes were locked on and of course no MOT or tax !. Anyway, decided to get off my backside and get the bike sorted and back on the road. But being self employed, work took priority so again never got around to it until now thanks to the lockdown and Covid19, work has totally dried up and I have loads of time on my hands !. Main problem is no work = no income, but the bills still keep rolling in of course, so any re-build was going to be on an extreme budget !. Fortunately though, have collected a lot of 750 parts and spares over the years. So, I have been busy working on the bike over the last few weeks, but forgot to take many photos unfortunately. Also forgot how to post images on here too. Think I have figured the last out though so hopefully have attached a "before" photo and will post an "after" photo once finished. Not going to be a show bike or anywhere near the standard of most re-builds on here, but main thing is to get her roadworthy again so once the lockdown restrictions are eased I can hopefully get that MOT passed and get her back on the road. Basically just tidied her up, stripped down to the frame and re-painted that, cleaned up the engine a bit and repaired the wiring harness that a PO had butchered. Not going to touch the tank or seat, a few dents and tears but each has some memory attached and are part of the bikes character so far as I am concerned. Funny though, on this photo actually looks in better condition than she was, still looks rough but was a lot worse than appears here !.
    pic share
    "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
    1978 GS750
    1979 GS750 chop
    1979 GS550
    2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
    2000 Enfield Bullet 500
    1992 XV750 Virago
    2016 Harley 883 Iron

You won't need to MOT or tax her. She's over 40 so a classic vehicle once you've got the log book updated.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks Hampshirehog, I had forgotten all about that exemption for historic vehicles !. The other 750, 550 and the CX500 have all been off the road a few years too, thats a good incentive to get them up and running too once this pandemic is sorted and budget is not so tight. But I can make a start at least, plenty of time to kill, just need to decide which to do first !. Not so sure my wife will be too happy though as she has been lining up a few DIY jobs for me to do around the house !. Anyway, cheers mate, much appreciated.
      1978 GS750
      1979 GS750 chop
      1979 GS550
      2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
      2000 Enfield Bullet 500
      1992 XV750 Virago
      2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

When bikes were bikes not the ones of today.

Nice ride. Lets hope you can get it sorted and running before work starts up again and you dont have any more free time. Good luck.

Comment

You will need to mill 6mm off the steering stem to fit tapered bearings, the instructions should've come with the kit. Also, resist going to pods, if you can, and stick with the airbox - much aggro to switch.
          Good luck and post your progress with photos.
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Until I took her apart, I was unaware that a previous owner had already fitted tapered bearings so believe that mod to the stem has been done, but thanks for that advice allojohn. I won`t be fitting pods, she is going back together totally standard except for a 4 into 1 exhaust.
            1978 GS750
            1979 GS750 chop
            1979 GS550
            2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
            2000 Enfield Bullet 500
            1992 XV750 Virago
            2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

The bike is almost good to go now, spent last week on re-assembly. New battery arrived yesterday so popped it in and put a little gas in the tank. Bit nervous as I had done a fair bit of work on the wiring harness which was in a real mess, so was a bit unsure as to how good a job I had done, but everything seemed to check out ok, lights, indicators, horn etc. So next tried to start her up, engine turned over fast but she would not fire up. Checked fuel was getting through and it was. So next checked for sparks, found nos 1 & 4 leads were not live. Checked back through the wiring and found I had not pushed a connector on the positive feed to the coil together properly. Connected it up, tried the starter again and she fired right up. The new exhaust sounds great !. Can`t say she ran as smooth as I recall so a bit of tweaking will be needed, also think running lean as she heated up quick. But I was in the garage and it was warm today, so won`t really know until I can get her out on the road. Maybe sucking in a bit of air through the airbox/carb boots which are rock solid and were a sod to get on properly.

But unfortunately, won`t be able to road test until I sort the brakes out. I had stripped the front callipers, cleaned everything up and painted them ready for assembly. It was quite late last night when I decided to reassemble, couldn't find my G clamp for pressing the pistons back in, so like an idiot as I couldn't push them in by hand, thought I would try tapping them in with a round drift and hammer
              . One went in ok, the other did not, kept jamming up and although it went in eventually I was pretty sure I had f....d up the seal. Anyway, fitted them on the bike today and started to fill the lines, seemed ok at first but sure enough fluid started dripping out of that calliper. Cursing myself now, I have stripped and re-assembled the callipers many times before without any problems, but using patience and a G clamp of course. And to rub salt into the wound, went to the shed to find something else and of course, there was the clamp !. God knows how I missed it as I had searched for it in there already !. So feeling like a right idiot right now !. Still have another set of callipers in the spares department, so rather than chewing on trying to get the piston out of the one I f....d up, will try those first as think they are in decent condition. Fingers crossed !.
              1978 GS750
              1979 GS750 chop
              1979 GS550
              2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
              2000 Enfield Bullet 500
              1992 XV750 Virago
              2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Finally got her put back together again now, after a bit of fun and games with the rear calliper. Fitted new pistons & seals, but when I started to bleed the brake a jet of fluid shot out of the pipe close to the joint with the flexi from the master cylinder, then dripped onto the newly painted swing arm. Could`nt believe it, checked the pipe and hoses when re-assembling and they looked good !. So another delay while I waited for a braided rear line to arrive. Fitted last night, so today was final check over, then a quick test run around the block. Could`nt go too far or get up to any speed, as still to get insurance and the documents sorted to be road legal, but she ran ok and it was great to get her moving again after so long. I will try to post a picture here. She is no show winner, but a bit tidier than she was a few months ago. I have not cleaned up the wheels yet, as I will have to take them off to get new tyres fitted when funds allow.

Last edited by tomo; 05-25-2020, 04:17 PM.
                1978 GS750
                1979 GS750 chop
                1979 GS550
                2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
                2000 Enfield Bullet 500
                1992 XV750 Virago
                2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

What did you replace the Hagon shocks with?
                  1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                  1977 GS550
                  1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Wow. That's a scary story about your brake pipe splitting. Good job you weren't riding at the time. It's making me think about my old brake lines...

Nice job and great to see a Corona virus bonus build, all the more do because it's focused and functional revival of a bike that probably works have lain dormant for years to come. And a had a 78 GS750 years ago. So much better than the Honda CB750K1 I had immediately beforehand. A revelation in handling back then. Good memories for me.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    GSX400FX - very broken and in boxes; on its way to recovery after burning out a valve and being hidden away in my own garage for 28 years.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks LeT, must admit I thought the same, lucky the line went in the garage and not on the road. Regarding the rear shocks, the Hagons were goosed unfortunately and I could`nt afford new ones. The shocks I found on Amazon, cheap so maybe won`t last long but never know. They seem to do the job until I can get Hagons again. Been itching to get out on the road, so bit the bullet and got her MOT done and six months tax. As Hampshirehog pointed out, because she is over 40 she is actually exempt from both. Problem is, need to send the logbook to the DVLA, but on their website it states not to send in any paperwork until further notice due to the Covid situation and no option to alter the tax/MOT status online. Soon as they start accepting paperwork again though, I will get it sorted. Think to be honest I will still get an MOT even if she is exempt as proof I am trying to keep her in roadworthy condition. So anyway, first proper ride out was to the MOT station, she ran great too. Had almost forgotten how much I loved riding that bike !. Next up, hope to get my 78 CX500 back up and running. Much bigger project though as she is dismantled with bits in the garage and garden sheds to find first !.
                      1978 GS750
                      1979 GS750 chop
                      1979 GS550
                      2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
                      2000 Enfield Bullet 500
                      1992 XV750 Virago
                      2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

I get on well with my local tester and he has found problems through MOT for me several times over the years. Including once when is forgotten to tighten up my rear caliper! So I'll always go for an MOT, even when I technically exempt. He does a good cup of Yorkshire tea too. Total star.
                        GSX400FX - very broken and in boxes; on its way to recovery after burning out a valve and being hidden away in my own garage for 28 years.

Comment

To claim historic status for your bike just print the form off the interweb, fill it in and take to your post office with your V5. They'll give you a receipt and your bike is classified as historic from that point immediately.
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks hampshirehog, got it sorted today. Lass in the post office told me DVLA do not want people sending in paperwork, but for tax status change ok for them to send in the logbook. I just wanted to get out on the bike so paid the tax, but should be refunded once the logbook is changed. Meanwhile I can ride the bike which is the main thing.
                            1978 GS750
                            1979 GS750 chop
                            1979 GS550
                            2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
                            2000 Enfield Bullet 500
                            1992 XV750 Virago
                            2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Working...
                            X