Thoughts on 79 XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on 79 XS1100

Hey folks. Long time GSR user but haven't been active since my gs850 burned down on the side of the highway... Electrical fire... Looking to get a bike again and have a line on a 79 XS1100. Any one have any experience/thoughts on those bikes?
    Thanks in advance! Y'all have always been a great community and I appreciate your knowledge and feedback.

For me, Heavy, kind'f bulky, normal Yamaha trans. problems, I don't know why, but under hard acceleration ie drag racing, the rear really raises up, seems more than other shaft dr. bikes. The XS1100 Special seemed smaller & lighter I'd guess probably pretty good old bikes.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

A friend had one of those when I had my first bike, KZ400.... about that time 79-80-81

Excessive Eleven it was called then.

He let me ride it. THen he harassed me that I never got it over 5k rpm, and suggested I crank the throttle a lot more.
      Okay.....
      Oh Man, I was not prepared for what happened.

Yah, noticable rearend jacking up and down from the design of the shaft drive. More straight cut gears, more efficient.
      (Suzuki shaft drive more spiraled gears, needs a big trust bearing, but not the jacking.)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

The rear end jacking is not because of the gear type. It's the geometry of the rear end.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I had one and have to admit, I loved the hell out of it. Rode for 2 plus years, put about 15,000 miles on it. Mine had already had 2nd gear sorted out, and it ran like a raped ape. I had a friend with a VMax (years before I bought one) who talked a lot of trash, but who was a pretty *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ty drag racer. We came off a light one night and I left him behind from light to light. He eventually got over his fear of that bike and I couldn't beat him any longer, but the old XS was a really fun and reliable beast.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

A buddy has the 79 standard and ive ridden it and beat on it. As for the rear raise..i think its been way over portrayed here. Yes it raises a LITTLE but its not an out of control thing like what been implied...youll love it. Best thing its a shim over bucket arrangement so you do valve adjustments same as on a GS.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              The rear end jacking is not because of the gear type. It's the geometry of the rear end.
              The jacking ruins the bike in my opinion. By the way, when it was new, a XS11 would pull away from my 850 Commando in a top gear roll on at 60. A GS1000E would not. The GS1000 could catch up eventually, pass, and be gone, given enough road, but lost the roll on. The jacking is fun when you take off. Its like the whole bike leaps. Chopping the throttle entering a turn and losing half your ground clearance es equally exciting but less fun.

A DS1000G fills in the big hole beloe 5000 RPM the 850 has, and a late 1100G does it better. I;m lucky to have found a 1000G with an '83 1100G motor. Great bike, but I suspect that an XS11 would still out run it.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

A customer of mine just purchased an 80 midnight special a few months back. It seemed to be a very pleasant motorcycle. I didn't ride my GS back to back but it seemed more biased to higher rpm pulling than the grunt my 8 valve 1100 Suzuki has. That could be gearing related, as it did seem less frenetic at 70mph, but his exhaust was quieter and undamaged too so maybe that's another explanation. Had typical repairs, petcocks, intake manifolds, carb clean, fork seals, major brake work, fluids, tires, and air filter. It'd sat since the early 90s. I'll admit the dual petcock and vacuum shutoff mounted to the carbs was a huge mess of unnecessary junk, but that's alright. Overall it seemed to be a very nice bike that I wouldn't turn down for a deal. He gave about a grand, lucky dog.20190801_104924.jpg

Comment

That's one of the better looking customs I think. Not overdone, good proportions.

Originally posted by RedBaron View Post
                  A customer of mine just purchased an 80 midnight special a few months back. It seemed to be a very pleasant motorcycle. I didn't ride my GS back to back but it seemed more biased to higher rpm pulling than the grunt my 8 valve 1100 Suzuki has. That could be gearing related, as it did seem less frenetic at 70mph, but his exhaust was quieter and undamaged too so maybe that's another explanation. Had typical repairs, petcocks, intake manifolds, carb clean, fork seals, major brake work, fluids, tires, and air filter. It'd sat since the early 90s. I'll admit the dual petcock and vacuum shutoff mounted to the carbs was a huge mess of unnecessary junk, but that's alright. Overall it seemed to be a very nice bike that I wouldn't turn down for a deal. He gave about a grand, lucky dog.[ATTACH=CONFIG]60803[/ATTACH]
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I took a short test ride on a 1100 Midnight Special. Good power, but that EZ-rider chopper vibe just not fo me.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Friend of mine had one that he bought new. He was a Texan and took the seat off and put a saddle on it in it's place and topped off the look with a set of longhorns bolted to the forks. He made some hand tooled leather covers for the sides and used a piece of hide with the hair still on it for a tank cover. When we where rebuilding our shovelheads every other winter all he had to do was charge the battery in the spring and off he went!
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

My cousin had a 78 for years. He really seemed to love it, and I don't remember any problems with it.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                        Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

The XS1100 was the bike that coined the term "hyperbike". It was the 1st of the modern superbikes. Honda, Suzuki, and Kaw were right behing them. Things were ramping up.

Comment

My customer with the midnight special came by today and I took it for a short ride. Im not much for buckhorn bars but otherwise it was a joy to ride! I wouldn't turn down the opportunity to own one.

Comment

My first new bike was a 79 1100 Special , first year for the model ( the 1100 and smaller Specials were out in 78). A lot of details changes for the 80 model , 85mph speedo and big, clunky tail light replaced the smaller one located lower on the fender. As 20 yr old I replaced the rear tire several times the first season, that bike would do the smoky, tire roasting burn outs.

Added a sissy bar to prevent losing passengers when the throttle was hammered and of course replaced the silly buckhorn handlebars, but otherwise it was a bulletproof ride for me. Never had an ounce of trouble out of it, rode it to the Smokey Mts and Corpus Christi, great times and a few speeding tickets.

That being said, the bike is now 40 yrs old and some issues may come up, not unlike our GS's...
                              Loud pipes saves squirrel lives.....

Comment

Working...
                              X