Thoughts on 79 XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    I had one and have to admit, I loved the hell out of it. Rode for 2 plus years, put about 15,000 miles on it. Mine had already had 2nd gear sorted out, and it ran like a raped ape. I had a friend with a VMax (years before I bought one) who talked a lot of trash, but who was a pretty *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ty drag racer. We came off a light one night and I left him behind from light to light. He eventually got over his fear of that bike and I couldn't beat him any longer, but the old XS was a really fun and reliable beast.
    This post is my experience exactly. Lotta disdain for the shaft drive Yamaha. My 1979 XS1100 had no second gear problems when I bought it. Its the biggest reason I bought it. Rear end lifting? Im sure it did but I DID NOT notice. I didnt notice how heavy it was. What I did notice was how much power it had, ease of starting in any weather and smoothness of the engine. Did I say it had lots of power? Pure enjoyment. Rode two up big adults with no complaints. I replaced it with an 83GS1100E. Too often nowadays people compare the old stuff to the newer/new stuff they own. Cant do that. The XS1100 could not hang in the curves with a GS1000 but it was the 1970s-but the GS and KZ could not hang with the XS in a drag race or roll on race. The goal was to be KING OF THE QUARTER MILE and the 1978 XS1100E was the king for that year. Some older guys (myself included) dont need a lightweight nimble bike to take curves. We dont need Brembo brakes. To tool around maybe do a highway stint and some full throttle blasts the XS is perfect.

Comment

Personally, I would pass on that model having had one years ago. I didn't like the jacking effect of the shaft drive. Plus, first gear completely crapped out and I had to start in second.
      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

I enjoyed mine a bunch. In some ways, it was the most fun bike I have owned: It cost next to nothing, had it painted by a family friend for a couple hundred, had the seat recovered, cleaned the carbs and hung a Jardine exhaust off it, put new tires on it, changed the oil and then just rode the snot out of it. That bike was a roll-on monster.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
          Hi Mike.

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
          Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
          Notice that the Original Poster, in April, has not been back.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            Hi Mike.

Notice that the Original Poster, in April, has not been back.
            I don't think any of us really care about that, Dave. We're just talking shop to one another.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

I remember the XS11 having a chain primary drive. When they get old and stretched the motor can get
              pretty noisy. Otherwise, watch 2nd gear. Overall the bike is fairy reliable.

Mad
              83 GS750E
              2006 ZX14
              2004 KTM 450 EXC
              2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Working...
              X