Seat improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat improvement

I picked up an 82 GS650L last fall with 4200 miles. The seat looks all faded and dull. I triedseat.jpg armor-all, but saw no difference. Then I remembered my 1970 Barracuda back in the early 80's. I noticed other ones all had cracked dashboards, but mine seemed fine. I wanted to preserve it, so I thought, ...what is vinyl made of? Petroleum. The next hot day in S.F., I smeared petroleum jelly all over it, and let is sit for a while. It looked great, and never did crack. So I just did the same thing to my seat. Just did the back half so far. Looks new!

That should be nice & slippy
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Heh. Vaseline might be the missing thing I've been looking for.
      My previous seat covers (from factory and replacements) all cracked. I'd been variously using vinyl cleaner, silicone spray and furniture polish on them.

The one I'm running now had been fitted as an aftermarket replacement, then sat off the road for years and had never been treated with any of that. Still quite supple and no cracking anywhere, so it's a candidate for some different treatment.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The owner of my GS1000G cleaned the whole thing from head to toe with WD40 including the seat... It was in good shape so I guess it did no harm!
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I use Pledge on my whole bike...all of them that I ride, good stuff.

V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

People where using automatic transmission fluid on vinyl tops before Armor All et al hit the market.
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Im going to try vaseline on the saddle, that seems to make sense.

Now if I only understood how to clean the rest of it. Im afraid to power hose it, and Im worried degreaser will eat it up...
              GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                Im going to try vaseline on the saddle, that seems to make sense.

Now if I only understood how to clean the rest of it. Im afraid to power hose it, and Im worried degreaser will eat it up...
                The good ole standby, Pine-Sol does wonders. I've used it for everything from carb dip to washing the whole bike, for $2 a bottle it's hard to beat. Plenty safe to use on paint, chrome and plastic, dilute it 4 to 1 in a bucket and get after it with a sponge.

Comment

soap and water. Pledge makes it slippery. Vaseline would not be on my list either...unless you want to waterproof your pants! Argh.

You might try a Plastic re-blacker on a small area. It's handy anyways for the black plastic handlebar controls. Simoniz Black vinyl/plastic restorer in a bottle has worked economically for me (because it's not a spray can! and goes a long way) but there'slots of stuff out there even in Norway?.Just try to avoid stinky solvent types that can dry out soft vinyls, I'd say.

Comment

Self improvement is not possible. You guys should learn to love yourselves as you are. Remember, God made you this way for a reason. When I was a little girl, my mother used to say, "Roseanne, God made you this way for a reason. If it's not one thing, then it's another."

Seat? Oh, seat improvement?

Never mind.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Rob, those must be some great drugs they’re feeding you.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                        Rob, those must be some great drugs they’re feeding you.
                        He can still type and form complete sentences, as a Doctor of the Forbidden Sciences and fully ordained Reverend in a UFO doomsday cult my feeling is that they need to up his dosage."Too much is always better than not enough!" ~ J.R. " Bob" Dobbs ~

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                          ...Reverend in a UFO doomsday cult...
                          I'll prepare my purple sash and new sneakers.
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Seat improvement and Vaseline probably shouldnt be used in the same paragraph...
                            Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                            Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                            Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

I have to say, chemically it makes a lot of sense. Apply, let it sit for a few days, then wash it off with soap and water. I would think a conditioner after that process. I have the same seat, same bike, same condition. I may try this out. Can't see it making it worse...
                              '83 GS 1100T
                              The Jet

sigpic
                              '95 GSXR 750w
                              The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Working...
                              X