Trip to Ashville North Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trip to Ashville North Carolina

Myself and a friend have had a trip to Maggie Valley North Carolina planned for some time. It is in the Asheville area. We are coming from Minnesota. Not afraid of the covid thing because we a little common sense, ride to our selves and stay on the curviest back roads we can find. Figure we will have to stay away from popular sites if it is like Mn. We have a AirBnB house so food is not an issue. Will we, as out of state people run into Covid policing issues? Ky had a quarantine on out of state people.

Second, for people who have been there or are local, what are some of your favorite roads/counties/areas? Yes, I know about the Dragon, and we will hit it for the decals, but there are many roads that are just as good if not better with way less wanna be road racers on them.
    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

I'm east over the appalachians in Marion, NC. I can't speak a whole lot for Maggie Valley as I'm in a different county but I can try. The state has a stay at home order, but the order itself has gummy bear teeth. I've heard we're supposed to receive new guidelines soon. It has definitely not been enforced in McDowell County where I'm at. My county is supposed to have a week or two quarantine for those coming in, but I've seen no evidence of it with New Yorkers fleeing here like rats from a sinking ship. Maggie Valley is a more bustling area than my town. It's kind of adjacent to Cherokee so the tribe may have different laws to to look out for right now too. Asheville is actually a little bit of a drive from there so hopefully there's not a lot of runoff from there. I don't know the roads there as well as here but I remember some good little roads to the north, and didn't see much towards the south that was too exciting. Clingman's dome is a neat little place to visit nearby but it may be closed. I haven't hit the parkway since this crap started but if it were open it's a lovely slow route. If for some reason you end up near Mount Mitchell or McDowell county I can fill you in on some fun roads. Just PM me here if you do or look for Race & Ride Motorsports on Facebook because that is me. Around McDowell you'd have 181 between burke county and Boone. NC80 between marion and Micaville. 226A between Marion and Little Switzerland. Number 9 from black mountain to Lake Lure. 19 in spruce pine is ok. Lots of other little fun stuff too. I think most things near there Blue Ridge Parkway are nice because many roads get twisty with elevation change. I like fast 60mph roads more than I like fast 140mph roads lol. Depending on what bike you bring there's a whole lot of fun dirt roads too. Also I think in my area a lot of AirBnB places are forced closed because of the virus. Not sure if that's a state thing or a local thing.

Comment

My plan was to be on the road wandering to wherever the first of April. From my experience over the years it's the county and local-yokel Barney Fife types that are going to give you the hardest time. An out of towner isn't going to be able to put up with much of a fuss when they write you a $150 ticket for something that amounts to pulling a stupid human trick.

With that in mind, there are counties in northern Arkansas that have deputized people who sit at the county line and tell people they're free to pass through but cannot stop. Realize that you're not planning on heading this way but chances are that situation is going to also exist other places. Running the interstate is boring but my guess is you'll be less likely to hear the old "You ain't from around here are you?" question.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Seems like a foolish time for cross country travel....

Maybe next year?
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

As much as I hate to say it, I agree with Baatfam. You cannot guarantee you’ll find a place to eat (no inside dining anywhere) since most places don’t have outside sitting and you can’t count on dry weather. All of the riding I’m doing still puts me about two hours at most from home so I can eat before I leave and after I get back. I also don’t know much about AirBnB but I don’t think many hotels or campgrounds are really open. All of my really long rides are waiting until Governor Dewine lifts his order which is sounding like May 1st. But even then he’s making it clear not everything will open right away.
          sigpic
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

From a few days ago off the Tail of the Dragon facebook page...

APRIL 22 FAQ's regarding the NC, TN, and GA mountains.

ROADS OPEN/CLOSED - NC TN & GA

- The 11 mile section of the Tail of the Dragon is open.
            - Road blocks in NC have been removed.
            - Blue Ridge Parkway has multiple closed sections including the southern section from Asheville to Cherokee NC. Campgrounds and facilities are closed.
            - Foothills Parkway is open Wears Valley to US129.
            - US441 through the Great Smoky Mountains is closed from Gatlinburg TN to Cherokee NC.
            - Little River Road, TN73 is closed from Townsend to US441.
            - Cherohala Skyway is open.
            - The Devils Triangle Loop TN is open.
            - Six Gap of North Georgia roads are open.
            WHAT IS OPEN/CLOSED

- The stores are open at the Tail of the Dragon with gas, food, EV charging. Hotel is not open.
            - NC stay at home orders along with non-essential business closures set to expire April 30. No word if it will be extended.
            - TN & GA are relaxing their stay at home orders starting on Friday, April 24. TN will not be extending their safer at home order, set to expire April 30. Most businesses will be allowed to open on May 1.
            - NC closed all accommodations with the exception of Hotels, however most local governments have included hotels in their local mandates.
            - TN & GA allow accommodations to remain open, local mandates may apply.
            - NC, TN, GA allow restaurants to remain open for takeout service only.
            - The Qualla Band Land (Cherokee NC) is completely closed.
            - Smoky Mountain Harley Davidson & Outposts are closed until May 1

WHERE CAN I CAMP

- National and state park facilities and campgrounds are closed in NC.
            - TN state parks will reopen April 24 for day use only. All park cabins, lodges, group overnight facilities, and campgrounds will be open on May 1.
            - Some NC State Park roads and trails are open to the public, camping and facilities closed.
            - GA State Parks are open, including campgrounds and cabins.
            - Private campgrounds are open in Tennessee and Georgia, no campgrounds open in NC.
            - Great Smoky Mountains National Park is closed including roads, with the exception of the Foothills Parkway which is open.

WHERE CAN I STAY

See our list of recommended accommodations that are open: https://tailofthedragonresorts.com/special-event-map/

Comment

We can take freeway's almost the whole way. We have 2 drivers so we can drive straight through. We will be staying at a AirBnB place. It hasnt been shut down as of today. We can eat breakfast and supper at home, pack a lunch for the road. There are plenty of places offering take out. Looks like parts of the Blue ridge Parkway is closed. With a speed limit of 45, it may be a stunning road but there are more than we could ever run in 10 days and our plans were to use it as a means to get to a destination.
              I should stay home? I'm 62 getting older every day and live to ride. The snow and and ice have been gone up here for less than 4 weeks. I just had heart surgery in Feb, Dad passed away last fall and I'm the last one left. I have gone through 3 tanks of gas this spring. Yep, I like to ride. The pandemic is serious, but its seriously overblown too. With common sense, one can be safe and the chances are better that you will get the flu or a cold. I'm so positive about the future I just up'ed the ration on toilet paper from 4 sheets to 5! Stop listening to the doom and gloom media, stay positive and get out and ride. Its a perfect way to follow social distancing.
              Baatfam, nice post!!! Thank you. The locals have the best info
              Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
              Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
                Baatfam, nice post!!! Thank you. The locals have the best info
                You're very welcome, although I was hoping it would convince you to postpone this trip.

[soapbox]It's great that you're not worried, but staying home isn't about protecting you, it is about protecting everyone else.[/soapbox]

My Mom passed one month after my heart surgery, (4 years ago now). It does change things....

Comment

Campgrounds being closed is the deal killer for me. Most of the time I'm "boondocking" out on state or federal land but it's nice to know where you can camp for a night or two when traveling between destinations and campgrounds are essential for showering. Couple that with an inability to have a decent sit-down meal a couple of times a week and I'm best off staying where I am.

As far as a vacation goes, getting past the roadblocks that can get in your way is what adventure is truly all about! Having a set schedule or agenda is common, being able and willing to adapt and still enjoy the trip makes someone my kind of person.

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                    ...Most of the time I'm "boondocking" out on state or federal land...
                    The only trouble is you never know when some locals are going to come in the middle of the night and kill your friend. The one who rides on the back and wears a football helmet.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

^^^^^ So says the guy who rides in the metro NYC area!

Comment

I agree on protecting others, will stay away from popular areas. Mn parks are full of people cuz the Gov told people to get outside and enjoy nature. There seems to be many beautiful areas to visit, but the itinerary was changed by covid from great roads and destinations to just great roads. Now, hopefully there will be even less on the roads...

Comment

Oops, Put two posts backwards.

I hope you have a great and safe trip!
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Well, I would agree to postpone, but sounds like your mind is made up. Having said that: Cherohala Skyway is really cool, but normally we see some cops patrolling that. I've seen more cops on there than on the Tail. Foothills Pkwy is another nice ride. My all time favorite down there is 28. Man, that road has it all, IMHO. You can ride for quite some time on there. Has a lot of technical switchbacks. By far my favorite road. If you head that way, there some other nice rides further down, but memory escapes me. Think we used to hit War woman road? And there was some park, national or state, that we rode thru that was awesome. Lots of nice sweepers. Anyway, nice riding if you head down that direction.
                            When off the bike in public, appreciate if you wear masks. Remember, if we were all running around naked, and someone peed (doesn't like the word pi$$ing) on your leg. You'd get wet right away. If you had pants on, some would soak thru, but the pants would catch some of it. If the person peeing on you had pants on, then they would get most of it, you'd prolly not get any of it. ;-)
                            1983 GS750 E - gone forever
                            Yamaha FJ-09 - My retirement Bike (For when I retire)
                            1996 Honda XR-600R - a Man's bike
                            2007 Suzuki DR 200SE - Oh Yeah
                            2005 Yamaha TR125 - Little Man's bike

Comment

You come down, let me know. I have some roads I can show you. I'm over in Polk County by the SC line. Plenty of good roads heading over to Hendersonville. I work at a hospital in Hendersonville and most hospitals are taking down the outside screening tents. Elective surgeries start Monday so we could be at the end.
                              State is still on a stay at home order with SC and Georgia ,especially,open. Restaurants are still take out and am not sure how many hotels are open but I know some are.
                              Any thing else I can help with let me know.
                              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                              2000 Kawasaki Concours
                              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Working...
                              X