No announcement yet.

750 TSCC Rebuild or Replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contacted Norm (Storm 64). I’m driving to OH tomorrow to get his engine. It needs a new head gasket so I’ll have to tear that one partially down anyway. But at least I know it runs and nothing broken. I’ll keep this thread going with pics and questions as I move forward.

Thank you all for your attention and sympathy.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

As far as broken shards going thru engine, that would only be that broken portion of the rocker, right? and those contained in the cam cover, and can see any place where anything could have happened. And is the the cam chain guide the only casualty of that??

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
      That is what case hardened steel looks like when fractured. The inner part looks more grainy that the outer .060” hardened surface.
      Ah... I understand what you are saying. THat it did fail all at once on one occassion, and the outter part that is more hardened looks different than the internal portions.
      That does make more sense, relative to all four of them failing all at about once from an over rev.
      Last edited by Redman; 04-25-2020, 11:45 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
        Contacted Norm (Storm 64). I’m driving to OH tomorrow to get his engine.. . . . . .
        . . . ..
        Aint Norm Great ! ?
        Aint this forum great, because of guys like Norm ! ?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Norm is a good guy!

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Contacted Norm (Storm 64). I’m driving to OH tomorrow to get his engine. It needs a new head gasket so I’ll have to tear that one partially down anyway. But at least I know it runs and nothing broken. I’ll keep this thread going with pics and questions as I move forward.

Thank you all for your attention and sympathy.
            The GSR is the best forum out there, and this is why. I've been on many many forums, and never have I been on one with more generous and helpful people, than on here.
            - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
            - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Oh boy, I have to clean the garage/shop, I have company coming over tomorrow! 😲 The engine doesn't look to bad. I sprayed it with grease before I put it into storage. Downside of that, it's a greasy mess. I should have it ready to just remove a couple of bolts and heav it out of the frame tomorrow.
              Also, this engine is out of a 1980 750E 4 valve. It should be the same engine as Rich's 82 750T shouldn't it?
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                Also, this engine is out of a 1980 750E 4 valve. It should be the same engine as Rich's 82 750T shouldn't it?
                As far as I know it's the same.

Those engines have oiling issues. One of the few GS engine's that are not bulletproof. There is a fix that involves shimming the oil pressure relief valve. Details available in the archives. That said, don't think that's the cause of this engine failure.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Checking parts fiches on partsoutlaw, the crankcase has the same part #. That tells that the frame mount holes are in the same place. That at least ensures me that I shouldn’t have any issues bolting it to the frame, and that I can use my case covers. Norm sent me some pics that show cross head screws on the case covers, I have bolts.

Cylinders are the same, as are base and head gaskets.

There are differences in the valve cover, and gasket, and head and head internals, cam shafts and whatnot. I don’t plan on swapping any internals from my 82 to the 80.

And Norm, you certainly don’t halve to clean on my account. I’m just happy to be getting a replacement engine so quickly and within driving distance.
                  Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 04-25-2020, 09:24 PM.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

So, if all 4 intake rockers broke, how on earth were you able to limp it home??? I would think if the rockers are broke, the intake valves wouldn't open and it wouldn't run?
                    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

I didn’t limp it home. I wrote about 1/2 mile. Probably wasn’t quite that far. Didn’t measure it.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

You should put crime scene tape around that engine. Ok, the valve rockers appear to have stayed in the cam cover, but that adjustment screw went someplace after it ate the chain guide. You will need to find it and examine all the damage it did during it's tour of the engine. Hopefully not too bad. As I said earlier, a total teardown is probably a Good Idea, but it can wait until youve got the new engine installed and running. I think we know what youre going to be doing next winter.
                        Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                        1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                        1981 GS1100E

Comment

Yeah, that valve adjuster nut must have gone down the cam chain tunnel. I haven’t found it yet. You’re right, put Norm’s engine in so I have a bike to ride. Then totally tear down the original engine his winter.
                          Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 04-27-2020, 11:48 AM.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I didn’t limp it home. I wrote about 1/2 mile. Probably wasn’t quite that far. Didn’t measure it.
                            Ah, gotcha. I must have misunderstood.

Comment

When the engine is over-revved the valve train floats. The rocker arms are not following the cam lobes smoothly anymore but are being hammered open and slammed closed. All of this causes wild harmonic vibrations which can loosen the valve adjusters and even cause the screws or nuts to back out. When an adjuster screw separates from the rocker, especially the ones closest to the cam chain tunnel, they frequently get drug down with the timing chain. When the screw gets jammed between the crankshaft sprocket and the chain the sprocket teeth jump the chain links throwing camshaft timing out of synchronization. The results can be bent valves or in this case the valve to piston interference was significant enough to break the rocker arms. I have personally found valve adjuster screws backed out on engines that the owners admitted to missing a gear and severely over-revving the motor. In one instance several screws/nuts had fallen out of the rocker arms. All but one screw was still laying in the head. The last screw was still in the crankshaft sprocket area and had cause the cam timing to jump time. All 8 of the intake valves were bent and required replacement. Dar
                              Last edited by TeamDar; 04-27-2020, 09:26 AM.

Comment

This is going to be intersting...an 8V/750E engine (1976-78) into a 1982 16V/750T.

I'm not saying it isn't going to work...I'm just amazed how these bikes can be interchangeable.

Spyder put an 1100E engine into his "T" but it was from the same year...1982.

Watching this thread with interest Rich!

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                                X