X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TL/DR??

See post #21
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I see I researched the earlier year 750...1976-78...thinking it was a "78 model. My apologies.

It's still an 8V engine...16V first came out in 1982 if history serves me right.

Ed

Last edited by GSXR7ED; 04-26-2020, 02:27 PM.
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
        This is going to be intersting...an 8V/750E engine (1976-78) into a 1982 16V/750T.
        I'm sorry, I can't condone this.

You broke my heart, (Fredo), when you decided against an 1100 16 valve. But then I thought you were going with a 16 valve 750.

I wish you luck, I'm sure you'll do very well, especially since your interests don't conflict with my interests.

(And yes, the nurse was just here with my 'medicine.' )
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

You guys are all confused. I just left Norm’s with a 1980 16V 750E engine. The only real difference I see is in the head design. It is a 16v. Promise.

sorry Rob. No 1100 this time.

thank you Norm
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Hey Rob, did the nurse take your temp.? Was it the same on both ends? Don't let her use the same thermometer. Oh, sorry, that's too personal. If a 16V 1100 eng. works great in a 8V GS1000, wouldn't an 8V 750 eng. work just as well in a 16V GS750, if that were the case.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
              You guys are all confused. I just left Norm’s with a 1980 16V 750E engine. The only real difference I see is in the head design. It is a 16v. Promise.

thank you Norm
              The only difference should be the number of valve cover bolts. Dar

Comment

It was nice meeting Rich today, a very nice guy. Well, last night when I was removing the exhaust header pipes, yep you guessed it, three broken exhaust bolts... I got up early this morning, pulled the head. I then took it to the shop to drill out the busted bolts. When Rich got there I had a good jump on the job. I didn't want to keep him any longer than necessary. Then we went back to my house to finish pulling the engine. All in all it went pretty smooth. I hope everything works out for Rich. 👍
                My Motorcycles:
                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)
                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post

thank you Norm
                  Well, I guess that’s putting it nicely...confused...appreciate the lower level degradation. lol (I’m sincere when I say that so please don’t be offended)

Good job, Norm...you going out of your way to clean up prior to Rich’s arrival...and then expediting the bolt issue so as not to keep Rich waiting too long.

Glad it all worked out!

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Yep, Norm certainly went above and beyond to help me. He’s the first GSR member I’ve had the pleasure to meet in person. Maybe someday I’ll get to a rally, if I can stop sabotaging my own bike.

Thank you again Norm. With a little help from you and the rest of the great folks here, I’ll have my bike up and running before too long. I return to work tomorrow, so it’ll take some time working a little every evening and weekends.

Also want to thank the person ahead of me in the Dunkin’ drive through for paying for my coffee. That was so nice. And unexpected.

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 04-26-2020, 07:42 PM.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

That’s so cool!

Posting pic of some GSR brethren...meeting for a good cause...helping a member out!

Ed

GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Always nice to see some goodness.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
                          When the engine is over-revved the valve train floats. The rocker arms are not following the cam lobes smoothly anymore but are being hammered open and slammed closed. All of this causes wild harmonic vibrations which can loosen the valve adjusters and even cause the screws or nuts to back out. When an adjuster screw separates from the rocker, especially the ones closest to the cam chain tunnel, they frequently get drug down with the timing chain. When the screw gets jammed between the crankshaft sprocket and the chain the sprocket teeth jump the chain links throwing camshaft timing out of synchronization. The results can be bent valves or in this case the valve to piston interference was significant enough to break the rocker arms. I have personally found valve adjuster screws backed out on engines that the owners admitted to missing a gear and severely over-revving the motor. In one instance several screws/nuts had fallen out of the rocker arms. All but one screw was still laying in the head. The last screw was still in the crankshaft sprocket area and had cause the cam timing to jump time. All 8 of the intake valves were bent and required replacement. Dar
                          Dar
                          Thank you for this explanation. It leads me to believe that I'm 99.9% positive that all of my adjuster nuts were tight, and that I'm 100.1% sure it was because of the way that I routed the clutch cable, and it's interference with the throttle linkage on the carbs, that caused by bike's demise. Totally my fault either way. Just good to be able to piece together this series of unfortunate events.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I’m interested in how you routed your throttle cable that caused this demise.

Ed

GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                              I’m interested in how you routed your throttle cable that caused this demise.

Ed

See posts 34, 35 of this thread.

The piece of bent wire I so cleverly made up did a fine job of keeping the clutch cable away from the valve cover/engine. It kept the cable so far away from the engine that it pushed it in the the path of the throttle linkage. I was getting more confident in my clutch repair and the last time I pulled out, I poured on the throttle pretty hard, the throttle linkage stuck and when I left off, pulled clutch to shift to 2nd, the throttle was hanging. Never got it into second, then...WEEEEEEEEEE, CLANK, CLANK, CLANK, CLANK, CLANK, CLANK, CLANK, CLANK, CLANK. Hit the kill switch. Got it started, limped the bike for 1/2 Mile (I measured it yesterday). That was all she wrote. And here we are.
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Ohhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I wondered why that guide was attached to the carbs...it's very important...APPARENTLY!

Thanks for explaining.

Ed

GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X