No announcement yet.

Master Link Sealant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions, opinions, everyone's got them. So many different ones. I've done the endless thing, I've done the rivet on thing, & last few have been the clip type. never used sealant or wire for extra security. Decisions, decisions, decide what makes you comfortable & go for it.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Might be the alignment of the chain or the power of the bike that pops the clip off, because "theoretically" there's very little load on the clip....

Trundling as I do, never had a problem, though I put some rtv on too when i read about it. were I more aggressive, I would rivet.

A clip comes with the chain. DID seems ok with it ...

Comment

I've thrown a 630 chain off my first bike, 1980 GS 750. It was flung clear of the bike and engine on the 405 Freeway thru Renton.

Have had at least 6 clips fly off on the 1150 engined bikes in 630 & 530 versions.

One trip coming home over North Cascades (Hwy 20), I made it home, decided to lube the chain when it was freshly warm & found the masterlink clip-sideplate missing.

The master link itself was bent outward on both rollers, sort of holding the chain together- barely.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
          Opinions, opinions, everyone's got them.
          Opinions are like armpits. Everybody's got one.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            Opinions are like armpits. Everybody's got one.
            Only one? I don't think so.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              Only one? I don't think so.
              You wish. LOL.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

And if one doesnt have good knowledge, or the proper flaring tool, the rivet type can come off too. Before my cheap arse bought the proper tool I used a vice grip, a ground nail then a center punch to flare the rivet. Worked, but very back yard.
                Last edited by limeex2; 04-27-2020, 07:12 PM.
                Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
                  And if one doesnt have good knowledge, or the proper flaring tool, the rivet type can come off too. Before my cheap arse bought the proper tool I used a vice grip, a ground nail then a center punch to flare the rivet. Worked, but very back yard.
                  Perhaps. I’ve never seen it, or even heard of it. But I’ll certainly agree that it’s possible. However, risk mitigation isn’t about eliminating all risk. It about reducing it to an acceptable level, in the most cost effective way possible.
                  '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

For me... a clip link (or two) would be something to be carried on a long trip where you are unlikely to be able to get a new chain for emergency use only.

With that said, if you are going to use one, then fit it the right way around. The nose point in the direction of chain travel not the legs.

I've personally found 3 missing links on bikes. One was on my own bike & was fitted with RTV. On the others the owners had no clue & may have been riding without one for some time.

On one long trip we purchased two "E-clips" of the right size from a mom & pop hardware store for an emergency fix.....

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

The Bots are Back in Town.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Hey, jaunlien, welcome to the forum. Let’s see some pics of your bike. Yeah right. As if.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Last time I changed a chain was back in the 80s sometime. I used a steel block behind the chain and a hammer to peen the links together. Never had any trouble with that chain. Of course I lubed it a lot, which it seems is wrong, but that was what i was trained to do.
                          Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                          1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                          1981 GS1100E

Comment

That's how I've always riveted them. If you have a good punch and an accurate hit you can even duplicate the factory 4 dimples .....like it matters. LOL.
                            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
                              The one time I tried to use a rivet type I had to beg borrow and steal just to find a tool. I found something at Harbor Freight (I was in Colorado) that said it would do the job but couldn't ever get it to work right. I gave up and went back to the clip version - have never had a problem.

Yes, there is some risk to the issue. However, in my PERSONAL opinion, if the hazards are as problematic and frequent then why hasn't the motorcycling community made sure the industry removed the hazard? We have done it with other things - anti-lock brakes (bike and car), safety seals in medicines/food, and backup cameras just to name a few small things the public has had influence over industry.
                              sigpic
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Mine is one of these... lots of generic ones out there about the same. https://www.cyclegear.com/accessorie...rivet-tool-kit

Most people break them in one of three ways:

1. Not reading the instructions or watching a how-to video first
                                2. Trying to break the chain without filing down the rivet first so lesser force needed
                                3. tool misalignment in operation.

Also important to remember not to go too far when peening the rivet over. It takes about 3/4 to one turn of the handle. Any more and you'll split the head
                                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                                X