Hello fellow Gs fam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello fellow Gs fam

Hey guys im JP thanks for having me this site looks great . I picked up a 1982 gs1100gl "first time gs owner" from a buddy,the bike has been sitting in a shed for a few years and is waiting patiently for me to get her right. Looking forward to searching the board for info thanks again.

Hi JP and Welcome to GS land.
    Here is our library and a few threads that have stood the test of time.
    We love pictures
    https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-System-Health

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ewbie+mistakes
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thanks for the links Brandon, here is Ole Arty
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks to be in really nice condition, too.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
        Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

JP, Welcome to TheGSR.

Hey, a GL surviving with the its stock handlebars yet!

Looks all stock, except painted over, and with more modern Suzuki decals (emblems?).

With the raised white letter tires, you may want to check the date codes.

That "top ten list" will be good first place to start.

Do tell us more of your adventures.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I got a stack of receipts and a manual when I picked it up.The tires are from 2016 along with the stator brakes and some miscellaneous stuff. The owner had the carbs synced at the local Suzuki shop before he parked it... not very happy with their work so far "pulled the float bowl drains and 2 of them were rtv glued in 20200418_134121.jpg

Comment

I got her running and she felt good and road good but was breaking
              Up under load around 4800ish rpm and up. I went thru the harness cleaned up the grounds checked
              My connections and tightened some up put a new airfilter in "uni" stock box changed the oil put some plugs in then I cleaned the carbs checked the float heights and pulled the petcock and cleaned it same thing happened. While waiting on my carb sync tool I pulled the valve cover and checked the valve train out and its in spec. currently waiting on my valve cover gasket to come so I can check the sync on the carbs ... I'm enjoying tinkering with it ... feels good to have a toy again
              Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2020, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Brendan w sorry for misspelling your name and thanks again for the links ...Thanks Redman for making my pic bigger it's been a minute since I've been on a forum so please forgive me posting pics in thumbnails and side ways lol

Comment

Originally posted by -JP- View Post
                  Brendan w sorry for misspelling your name and thanks again for the links ...Thanks Redman for making my pic bigger it's been a minute since I've been on a forum so please forgive me posting pics in thumbnails and side ways lol
                  No apology required. My name gets pronounced different ways by different folks and the spelling nazis have more or less disappeared from here. I still haven't figured out how to make the pictures big.
                  When you said sitting in a shed I was expecting something a bit different. Five star shed is all I can say
                  Last edited by Brendan W; 04-28-2020, 04:29 AM.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by -JP- View Post
                    I got her running and she felt good and road good but was breaking
                    Up under load around 4800ish rpm and up. I went thru the harness cleaned up the grounds checked
                    My connections and tightened some up put a new airfilter in "uni" stock box changed the oil put some plugs in then I cleaned the carbs checked the float heights and pulled the petcock and cleaned it same thing happened. While waiting on my carb sync tool I pulled the valve cover and checked the valve train out and its in spec. currently waiting on my valve cover gasket to come so I can check the sync on the carbs ... I'm enjoying tinkering with it ... feels good to have a toy again
                    Good progress.
                    Seems like you are well experienced.

If the "breaking up" seems to be carb related ..... you didnt say what you did for carb cleaning.

If the "breaking up" seems to be ignition related: I would suggest checking the spark plugcaps, are suppose to be 5k ohms (if stock wires). They can go bad and cause strange ignition problems. They just twist/pull off the wires. Also then look at the end of the wires, some of the strands might be broke/burnt. Maybe you are aware of this. CAn discuss in more detail.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      Good progress.
                      Seems like you are well experienced.

If the "breaking up" seems to be carb related ..... you didnt say what you did for carb cleaning.

If the "breaking up" seems to be ignition related: I would suggest checking the spark plugcaps, are suppose to be 5k ohms (if stock wires). They can go bad and cause strange ignition problems. They just twist/pull off the wires. Also then look at the end of the wires, some of the strands might be broke/burnt. Maybe you are aware of this. CAn discuss in more detail.
                      I like to tinker ,I have been around cars,bikes and machinery most my life . I pulled all the jets the float and needle with the valve thingy it sits in cleaned all the the passages even the one where the needle jets at , checked all the diaphragms soaked the throttle needles and piston assemblies ,clean and lubed the choke and throttle bar etc I did not mess with any mixture screws yet . I used a torch tip cleaner on the jets with a brass brush and made a float bowl gauge. Good info on the plug caps this gives me hope, I did get new plug caps when I ordered my gaskets the ones on the bike are definitely questionable dry rot and cracked looking
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                        No apology required. My name gets pronounced different ways by different folks and the spelling nazis have more or less disappeared from here. I still haven't figured out how to make the pictures big.
                        When you said sitting in a shed I was expecting something a bit different. Five star shed is all I can say
                        Really was a dirt floor shed at the far end of his property , she has light rust all over if ya get close , once its running good then I can give it some TLC and most importantly get some miles in

Comment

Working...
                        X