Crazy thinking about my 1983 GS850GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
    Everything I've ever owned with an engine has seen redline on multiple occasions. Some more than others.
    You must have the most bada$$ lawn mower on the block!
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Research leads me to this so far ---

This one looks to be the best option for Speedo --

85 mm (3-3/8") to fit the existing can already-

Digital speed via GPS
      odometer
      Trip meter resettable by pressing the enclosed remote access button -
      Variable colors backlight --

Not a Bank Breaker --

https://www.amazon.com/ELING-Digital..._t3_B07KNR7NR7

I have exchanged emails with the manufacturer of this product looking for a TACH that would be up to 10K (or 12K) for our bikes that would match
      So far I am still waiting for this information..

For a certain match and good products -- (Buy American made in USA)
      Although I will state that the persona I spoke with on the phone was not a good representation of a proper customer service attitude --
      I may have connected to the wrong department or they are just not working well right now ---- Intellitronix of oHIo is making a nice speedo with gps input capability and a digital Tach -- 2 weeks lead time

$30 per each unit waterproofs them and puts the reset button for the TRIP meter on the front of the unit outside the can

tach -->
      https://www.intellitronix.com/produc...n-chrome-bezel
      Speedo --> https://www.intellitronix.com/produc...w-chrome-bezel
      GPS sending unit -->> https://www.intellitronix.com/produc...s-sending-unit

But to buy them and have them waterproof increases the cost such that a set-up for Speedo and tach would exceed $400

Not sure this is $400+ problem -- Might be a $250 problem --

Although seriously -- once I decide what I want to do the extra money either way isn't going to stop me --
      Currently in the Stable :
      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

I'm no expert on these newer clocks but I think I'd prefer a speedometer that didn't rely on a gps...I'd consider the calculations to be delayed versus a magnet sensor on the wheel. I use gps in boats, cars and motorcycles and that's my impression. Yes, it's pretty quick and quick enough in a pinch but not immediate, IMO.

Comment

Here is the link to the Tachometer -
          Good to 12,000 RPMs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...EO24AY51&psc=1

Now I have to figure out where to move the OIL light , HIGH BEAM light and the side stand light --

Create a warning light panel of some sorts....

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Nothing but problems with 81 GS450L's cables and meters. Broken gauges, broken cables, leaks, no matter the replacement, it would always come back. My 85 GS550, well I guess they worked out the bugs, because no problems there. Electric has is own problem though, even if its a movement or stepper motor. Pick your poison.
            1981 Suzuki GS250T
            1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
            1985 Suzuki GS550E
            2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

My 750 had a KOSO gauge fitted. It was the XR-SR from memory as it was a while back that's one of their older units now. I chose it over a trailtech unit as it had everything in one box. https://kosonorthamerica.com/tag/meters-speedometer/

It wasn't especially difficult to fit just a lot of careful study of the two wiring diagrams so I could join them up to make it work. The sensor for the speedo was magnetic. Magnet went inside the brake rotor bolts (in the allen hole). I had to build a bracket off the brake caliper bolt to hold the sensor. More magnets generally equals quicker response in those systems and there are usually ways to set how many you're using (how many pulses per rotation). You have to configure wheel circumference too. I also checked the speed with GPS from memory.

There are also GPS gauge systems out there now with no cables at all for speed....

Most of the aftermarket units give you the option to connect up a tach feed to a coil direct or use a wire wound round a plug lead for inductive pickup.

I initially went that way for looks & also because the 750's tach gauge worked intermittently (quite normal after this many years with those coil fed units from the 80's).
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                Here is the link to the Tachometer -
                Good to 12,000 RPMs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...EO24AY51&psc=1

Now I have to figure out where to move the OIL light , HIGH BEAM light and the side stand light --

Create a warning light panel of some sorts....
                Thanks for the link.
                - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

At this point I am leaning towards the Intellitronix units

Made in USA
                  - oHIo and English speaking support - 2 week leadtime --

Water resistant and they will put the reset button on the unit front so no need to create a place for it like on the Chinese ones I have linked through Amazon

YES - they are expensive - And the others would work just as well?

But I really like the look of them ; and having missed a couple of rallys already my motorcycle madness budget has a little surplus ...

I have spent money on dumber things already ... haven't I ...?

My only real concern is my challenged ability when it comes to electrical stuff - I am severely limited - but willing to try and learn

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Hmmm .. what could this be ...

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

I did it ....

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Looks good Carl.
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Carl, do you have a link to the voltmeter on your handlebar? I like it and would have one if you can link to it.

Thanks
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                            Carl, do you have a link to the voltmeter on your handlebar? I like it and would have one if you can link to it.

Thanks
                            You asked ---

It is a bit of a frankenmeter -- That is I created it from various parts -- cobbled together --

This Voltmeter (or any one like it) -->> https://www.amazon.com/Depvko-Voltag...2743520&sr=8-3

Mounted in a project box (pick a size you like) -->> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089K4KCQK...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Then attached to the handlebars by
                            rilling a hole in the bottom of the box and the metal lid as a bottom on the outside
                            :Using the handlebar attachment bolt in a longer size and adding a bushing of appropriate size so you can tighten the handlebars AND the box through the bottom at the same time -
                            :Add the voltmeter by drilling the correct size hole through the project box lid - run wires out a small hole in the bottom - use a rubber grommet on the hole to protect the wires
                            :Run to a power source that is activated via the accessory switch (mine is on a relay and directly to a power distribution center I created under the seat replacing the factory tool box space)
                            :Enjoy an accurate voltage reading -

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Pretty bad a$$ Carl! Like it allot!
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                              Originally posted by Hayabuser
                              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I have a GPS speedo on my old Moto Guzzi and love it.

Comment

Working...
                                X