X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is really cool! Don't let Steve see it, he'll copy you! Haha😃
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
      Pretty bad a$$ Carl! Like it allot!
      Thank You

Originally posted by wymple View Post
      I have a GPS speedo on my old Moto Guzzi and love it.
      I am really happy with the accuracy of this unit - In the 100 miles you see on the trip meter it is off by less than 1/10th of a mile from my Zumo 550 which was/is mounted on the left handlebar -
      Speed is DEAD ON and it looks cool to see digital readout of speed rather than a bouncing needle

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
      That is really cool! Don't let Steve see it, he'll copy you! Haha
      I have no copy rights to this mod - but it is so easy I can't believe others haven't done it -
      Except the price* tag it is not too bad - ( approx $375)

*refer to Munks maxim below
      Last edited by Wingsconsin; 06-03-2021, 03:19 PM.
      Currently in the Stable :
      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

NICE!

The mechanical instruments on these old nails are a weak point. They're all dried out by time, and no matter what and how you lube, at some point the instruments themselves will just plain wear out. My originals made it to about 115,000 miles, and so far I've tried several replacements without much improvement.

Currently my GS850G is wearing a tach from some long-departed GS1100G (which works pretty well, actually, and has the fuel gauge, but the typeface is slightly different than original) and a boneyard pile speedo from some unknown chain drive GS, without the little magnet switch that runs the turn signal cancellation. It definitely looks out of place, but it works for the moment. I couldn't find a shaftie speedo in the pile.

If you feel like spending some serious cash for serious capability, the widgets from MotoGadget are amazing:
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
          You asked ---

It is a bit of a frankenmeter -- That is I created it from various parts -- cobbled together --

This Voltmeter (or any one like it) -->> https://www.amazon.com/Depvko-Voltag...2743520&sr=8-3

Mounted in a project box (pick a size you like) -->> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089K4KCQK...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Then attached to the handlebars by
          rilling a hole in the bottom of the box and the metal lid as a bottom on the outside
          :Using the handlebar attachment bolt in a longer size and adding a bushing of appropriate size so you can tighten the handlebars AND the box through the bottom at the same time -
          :Add the voltmeter by drilling the correct size hole through the project box lid - run wires out a small hole in the bottom - use a rubber grommet on the hole to protect the wires
          :Run to a power source that is activated via the accessory switch (mine is on a relay and directly to a power distribution center I created under the seat replacing the factory tool box space)
          :Enjoy an accurate voltage reading -
          Thanks Carl.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

As far as voltmeters, I had this ADVmonster waterproof volt meter on my V-Strom that was very satisfactory:
            Shop a wide selection of domains at HugeDomains.com. Find the right domain name today.

They also have a panel mount version:
            Shop a wide selection of domains at HugeDomains.com. Find the right domain name today.

Or you could just buy a generic Chinese voltmeter on The Brazilian River or fleaBay and waterproof the seams with a few smears of RTV, which appears to be what ADVmonster is doing. Check it against a known good volt meter so you know how accurate it is.

The reason for this was that V-Stroms suffer from the exact same lousy electrical design issues as the GS series... many of Suzuki's habits, good and bad, have persisted to the modern era.

On that bike, I mounted it using heavy-duty Velcro way down inside the fairing. It was dark down there so the readout was easy to see, and the meter was out of my usual line of vision. I could see it with a glance, but the changing numbers weren't distracting at all.

I've also seen charge indicator LEDs; basically it's one LED with a wee circuit that changes the color from green to yellow to red at different voltages. This seems like a neat idea, and it is very compact, but personally I've found the constant color changing under normal conditions is maddening and distracting. Some folks like them, so YMMV.

Some of these are also way too bright, so you'd need to mount them out of the way or find a way to cover or dim them. It's quite normal for a perfectly functioning GS charging system to drop below the "yellow" setpoint at idle, and the turn signals can cause the LED to flash red.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
            X