GS1100e new engine noise has me rattled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100e new engine noise has me rattled

...or maybe it's more of a clattering a whirring, clattering sound clutch in or out. I'm trying to figure it out, worked cam tensioner back slightly, no change. Might pull valve cover to check cams, rockers, but thought I'd run it by you all before tearing down. What's a loose starter clutch sound like? Starter still works fine. I noticed this some time after missed shift overrev, like maybe collapsed a piston skirt? It seems to be getting worse every time I ride. I'll try and post a video with audio...
    '82 & '83 GS1100e

Here's the video, sounds worse on video than it really does...

'82 & '83 GS1100e

Comment

Does the sound change when you pull the clutch lever in?
      MIGHT be a clutch issue, thinking the missed shift was a symptom?
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Fired Suzi up again today to further scope out the noise, it seems to be coming from low on the engine, most prominent when you're ear is under the bike. Wonder if I might've chipped a tranny tooth or something. It's fairly low frequency like 4-5 beats per second at idle so not a piston or rod noise, and prolly not cam/rocker...hmmm...about time for an oil change, so think I'll drop the oil and have a look.
        Last edited by fast eddie 52; 05-01-2020, 02:33 AM.
        '82 & '83 GS1100e

Comment

Fired Suzi up again today to further scope out the noise, it seems to be coming from low on the engine, most prominent when your ear is under the bike. Wonder if I might've chipped a tranny tooth or something. It's fairly low frequency like 4-5 beats per second at idle so not a piston or rod noise, and prolly not cam/rocker...hmmm...
          '82 & '83 GS1100e

Comment

If your stator cover & clutch cover gaskets can be saved or removed carefully, it might worth taking a look inside or buy them in advance.

The starter clutch could still work with 1 hex bolt & 1-2 broken/snapped ones, rattling around trapped by the backside of the rotor.

Hard to tell sometimes, because the the end of the bolts can still be seen sticking thru the rotor, while the heads of the bolt are snapped off. Or they could be just loose.

Not sure if you have the rotor puller in your quiver thou.

The rotor nut could have backed off causing the rotor to wobble on the taper.

The clutch nut could be loose, causing the clutch basket to wobble.

All speculations on my part, but can be checked w/o removing the oil, thou you'd have to remove the bar end mirrors to lean the bike on the handlebar w/handlebar cocked to one side or the other

against a bench or wall.
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
              If your stator cover & clutch cover gaskets can be saved or removed carefully, it might worth taking a look inside or buy them in advance.

The starter clutch could still work with 1 hex bolt & 1-2 broken/snapped ones, rattling around trapped by the backside of the rotor.

Hard to tell sometimes, because the the end of the bolts can still be seen sticking thru the rotor, while the heads of the bolt are snapped off. Or they could be just loose.

Not sure if you have the rotor puller in your quiver thou.

The rotor nut could have backed off causing the rotor to wobble on the taper.

The clutch nut could be loose, causing the clutch basket to wobble.

All speculations on my part, but can be checked w/o removing the oil, thou you'd have to remove the bar end mirrors to lean the bike on the handlebar w/handlebar cocked to one side or the other

against a bench or wall.
              Just went through this last fall with my 1100e I brought home to get running. The noise sounded terrible and I started with the clutch side to find a loose hub nut AND play in the dampner springs in the backing plate. I took care of both and still had the noise. I moved on to the starter clutch and indeed found the starter clutch loose of the flywheel. 2 of the 3 bolts were loose and 1 was broken and bouncing around behind the flywheel, I bet this is your problem as well from the noise.
              -1981 Suzuki GS1100E
              -1975 Honda CB400 Super Sport
              -1981 Vespa P200E
              -1990 Ktm 540 dxc
              -1982 Ktm 495
              -1981 Ktm 495
              -1989 Atk 406
              -1987 Cr 500R
              -1982 Yz 125

Comment

The sound doesn't change with the clutch lever pulled, thanks for the input
                '82 & '83 GS1100e

Comment

Thanks for the comments, I'll keep ya posted!
                  '82 & '83 GS1100e

Comment

I checked the starter clutch it had zero movement on rotor, seemed rock solid so didn't pull rotor to check further. Oil didn't have any visible contaminants, just the normal look, no chunks, chips, slivers. Moved on to the clutch, took it all apart, just normal wear, outer had some notching from the friction plates(looked like aftermarket plates, Barnetts maybe). Springs on back of outer hub were all snug, rivets holding everything tight. Clutch inner hub nut may have been not fully torqued, I removed the nut with the same light chisel I used to straighten the lock tab. I was surprised that a few moderate taps loosened the nut, didn't even have to get out my 32mm socket. Gonna fire it up tomorrow with fresh oil, and if the noise persists, guess the valve cover comes off.
                    '82 & '83 GS1100e

Comment

Thanks for the follow-up.
                      Fingers crossed for a quiet start-up.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Nothing of note under the Valve cover, no scoring of cam lobes or rockers, only minor valve adjustment needed on a couple valves. Rocked crank forward and back an noticed a clanking noise that might be entirely normal, gonna compare it to my son's '82 GS1100e...
                        '82 & '83 GS1100e

Comment

Didn't ride a whole lot this past season due to the noise, prolly less than 200 miles. Gotta get to the bottom of it a new video the noise is pretty evident. Thoughts???

'82 & '83 GS1100e

Comment

Is the cam chain tensioner working properly?
                            If it's locked up, backing out the wheel will make no difference to the sound.
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Hearing a clank as you rock the crank back and forward isn't good.
                              I have an engine sitting here that clanks quite well, but it's definitely noticeable as being at firing rate on one cylinder, so it's a big end roller bearing gone. Pulling plug leads in turn seemed to narrow it to number 1, iirc.

Yours doesn't sound quite like that, might be a main bearing.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X