No announcement yet.

GS1100e new engine noise has me rattled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I turn back the tensioner wheel a bit, I can hear cam chain noise develop, and it tensions right back up when I release the wheel. I have a solid locking tensioner but haven't installed it don't think I need to.
    '82 & '83 GS1100e

Comment

You mentioned the starter clutch was tight, but doesn't mean 1-2 bolts aren't broken or loose. It's about $40 for the rotor puller & if planning on owning a 1100 for any length of time is a relatively inexpensive tool to have in your quiver.

How are the exhaust manifold gaskets?

On a sadder note, one of my 1150/1229 engines had a terrible rattle, it turned out to be #3 connecting rod on the big end.
      Have yet to deal with it as it's a welded Falicon Super Crank. Will have to call John Pearson in Ohio again, as he already replaced the left end 5 years back.
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

When you had the nut off the clutch did you pull the basket & check the back? Wondering if you may have a broken spring back there or one that's coming loose....
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Sorry for the slow reply, yeah I had the clutch off and all springs on the basket were snug. Gonna pull down the engine bit by bit till I find the source, starting with the alternator/starter clutch...It'd be cool if someone had an archive of different engine failure sounds...
          '82 & '83 GS1100e

Comment

I got this bike rather cheap because it had cam chain noise, turned out someone had locked down the auto tensioner rather than leaving the locking bolt/nut backed off so the auto tensioner would work. Much diff noise than what I'm dealing with, tho.
            '82 & '83 GS1100e

Comment

Well, I finally pulled down the top end and everything looks grand! Pistons spotless, tensioners both in good shape, cams/rockers ok. Odd thing of note, when I cracked the cam caps loose a few didn't feel as tight, tho they weren't broken, but they did break off on disassembly. One came out in one piece but was obviously failing, it bent off when I inspected it. I saw no evidence of cam movement or sideplay journals all looked great. Can't see that being the cause of the engine noise I was hearing, but not sure. I'm about to pull the engine and split cases, took the alt. cover off in prep, and tried to pull rotor using the proper screw on puller(yep it's been in my "quiver" for 30 yrs) and that damn rotor just won't pop off! Got it torqued down with a breaker bar, tapping on the puller bolt head, rapping on the rotor rivets to give a little diff shock treatment off center, nothing working. Put some heat on the hub, still won't come off. I don't want to beat on the puller bolt too hard, fearing it might harm crank roller bearings(are they roller or ball or both). Any suggestions on getting that rotor to pop off??? Gonna search and maybe post on that topic in another thread.
              '82 & '83 GS1100e

Comment

Two or three heat/cooling cycles and maybe a rattle gun on the puller center bolt should do it.

I had one like that way back, the puller was on it for 3 days before i heard it pop.

Comment

Thanks! NZ, eh??? South or North? Used to be buddies with a racer and M/C fanatic named Steve Harris back in the 70s. He came to the states and was a Yamaha service rep. for a time and we worked in shops in S. Cal. He was from Aukland, NZ.
                  '82 & '83 GS1100e

Comment

Well, I never got that rotor off, but I did get the engine torn down. Turns out I have a bad inner main brng, rollers are disintegrating....gonna have to locate a new crank or get this one rebuilt So if you ever hear the kind of noise that I've been puzzling over, main brng can make that kind of cyclical rumbling noise.
                    '82 & '83 GS1100e

Comment

Finally got my 1100e back running, sounds great! Thanks for all the input! Riding season is over, tho...sniff...
                      '82 & '83 GS1100e

Comment

Congrats & thanks for the update, just wish it had been a little less trouble. Wondering if you found someone to repair your crank or did you just find a replacement.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                        X