No announcement yet.

Leaking Fork Seals <3000km

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they don't look like much to me!-I've polished off much worse and gotten away with it. Try to be sure that the marks you see are indeed responsible for leakage. It's pretty easy to b*gger the seals putting them in but...if those scratches have sharp edges , for sure I'd take the edges off

...I use a sharpening stone. a Fine one. In lieu of that wrapping a stiff narrow flat stick with fine grit wetndry paper works too...

Reason is...to sand a round object, always use a flat surface...this will limit the area you are "attacking". If you get through the chrome, it's brass under it. Not to worry, it works as well UNLESS you have gotten so far as to deviate much from round.

Comment

This news is a relief to me. Thanks for the sound advice, I dont have a proper whetstone or other sharpener, so I'll make use of a feeler gauge or something similarly stiff with fine grit paper like that. I'll get stuck in tomorrow, put it all back together and see what the craic is, I know I'll need to replace the seal, but I might get away with it until new ones arrive. I do have some extremely fine sandpaper which I can use to finish in case these are not responsible for the leak, they are the only marks I can identify. I can also use a microfibre cloth and some aluminium polish.

I'll forward on photos too.

I really appreciate the help with this, thankyou.

Comment

Working...
      X