1100G low compression, burns oil.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    I keep telling you Dave, you need to talk Mrs. Redman into moving your anniversary date.

Yah, It did conflict with Brown County a few of the years BrownCounty was in May.
    And then there was a couple years where grandkids "due date" was about then also.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Dave, it sounds like things are working out. I'm glad for you and hope you're able to get the GK back on the road, running better than ever really soon.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

If you search for a ''new'' engine, only the GK is rubber mounted, all the other G model are solid mounted.The crankcase is not the same. A 1100G complete top end will fit a GK.
        Marc
        AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
        1978 GS1000C X2
        1978 GS1000E X2
        1979 GS1000S
        1979 gs1000
        1983 gs400e

Comment

Dang, Dave, you're in it now, eh? Lemme know if you need a hand with anything, I'm good at standing around drinking beer and offering unsolicited and ignorant advice.....
          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
            Dave, it sounds like things are working out. I'm glad for you and hope you're able to get the GK back on the road, running better than ever really soon.
            Thanks. And good to chatt with you yesterday. Am trying to get the project going again. Stalled out there for a while.

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
            Dang, Dave, you're in it now, eh? Lemme know if you need a hand with anything, I'm good at standing around drinking beer and offering unsolicited and ignorant advice.....
            Thanks. I got an extra 5 gallon bucket for you to sit on. And then you could lend a hand when needed. .... cant predict when.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by kochic View Post
              If you search for a ''new'' engine, only the GK is rubber mounted, all the other G model are solid mounted.The crankcase is not the same. A 1100G complete top end will fit a GK.
              Marc
              Did not know that, Marc,
              FOr the secondary drive project (a couple years ago, you might recall), I had entire engine unmounted and moved up and over a bit. I dont recall any rubber mounting. Maybe those cylindrical things (back - top of xmission) had rubber in them but I didnt notice.
              At the moment, swapping entire engine is not an option I am concidering, but I should look into that crankcase-mounting situation.
              Last edited by Redman; 05-18-2020, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Leading option at present is a salvage engine (from a fine GSR member) and me swapping the head and cylinder block (and? pistons), with rebuilding the head with new seals and probably new rings for pistons.

Comment

If you take you time its easy to do.Be careful with the pistons, all are NLA from suzuki and rings only std and .50 OZ. are available.I have 3 set of used gs1100gk pistons, let me know if you need something.GK engine are almost growing anywhere over here.
                  Marc
                  AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
                  1978 GS1000C X2
                  1978 GS1000E X2
                  1979 GS1000S
                  1979 gs1000
                  1983 gs400e

Comment

Any updates, Dave?
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                      Any updates, Dave?
                      Thanks for asking.
                      Basically "No". Mostly stalled out, not determining how to proceed.
                      but might have some determination/progress tommorow.

I have been trying to measure the bore and pistons myself with expanding t guage thing and dial indicator (both cheap) and not getting reliable results that I can make any decision on. FOr one thing, the reading are like 71.95mm, when the spec is 72.00 (service limit 72.08) and some of my reading of pistons are larger than bore readings.
                      I ordered a more expensive (ahem, $40 not $18) dial indicator, but I suspect my problem is related to the expanding t thing and my procedure in general. (as others have told me, really need inside micrometer).

Just yesterday, I Found a one-guy-independent "motor sport" machine shop, mostly outboard motors and snowmobies but also motorcycles. Big thing he displays is "cylinder boring". I have something of an appointment with him in the morning, I asked if he could do the bore & piston measuring for me and give me a report. He asked again what engine and what year and how many miles (84k). He said, "yah, I can measure for you if you want (maybe he said "mic it for you") while you wait, but I can probably tell just by looking and feeling and tell you if it needs to be bored, or if pistons worn.

What I dont know is if overbored could be just enough to then use oversized rings, ..... . .. or if boring means need oversize pistons (which is not reasonable option).

Hopefully how it proceeds is I pay him maybe half hour labor to measure, and then I can decide how to proceed.

So maybe I am gonna find out pretty much what have already been told here : at 84K, dont bother measuring, just get lower mileage cylinder and pistons. I pretty much suspect that is what it is gonna be.

Comment

Well Dave, if you really like the GK, you're gonna love it again after the work, Ah GARRONE TEE.
                        My G has regained it's youthful power after the valve job I did this winter. Whole lotta fun to ride again
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Boring means over sized pistons and rings. You can not use oversized rings in a standard bore, regardless whether or not it's worn or not.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                            Well Dave, if you really like the GK, . . . .
                            Yes, I do. I envision me having that for most remaining years of my riding carrier.
                            I am really comfortable on it, and I just like that it is such good cosmetic condition. And I like that I am so familiar with it.
                            (It is the RT that could go away, after GK back.)

My GK has never seemed like an 1100 to me (I have rode other 1100 that about rolled me off the back end).
                            Never seemed to even be up to the acceleration of the 850.
                            Was using oil when I first got it (2005 @29k miles). I had head rebuilt with new seals in 2007, and oil consumption was better for a few years.
                            Now at 84K, is burning much more.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            Boring means over sized pistons and rings. You can not use oversized rings in a standard bore, regardless whether or not it's worn or not.
                            Thanks for explaining that.

Comment

Dave my 1100G definitely has a lot more oomph than an 850.... at 84k though I would guess you're losing it! I would hunt either a whole replacement unit or jug & pistons as you said.
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

WHat I didnt say is that about mid May 2020 I had a health problem. Pain for a few days, then uncomfortable and inactive for a couple weeks. ANd slow for a couple more weeks. And during this time THE elderly faterinlaw sick and in hospital and nursing home and hospital and then died, and we were statying with motherinlaw 2 - 3 days a week, 150 miles away, for months, and had another family tragidity during then. ANd then motherinlaw in hospital and nursing home and died. So that was all summer and most of the fall. And then was cold in the garage.

Had gotten a replacement head. But didnt get it taken care of till early this summer. And then was too hot in garage, at leeast was too hot for the level of enthusiasm I had for work on it.

NOTE: Now September 2021

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                                Yep, Mr Dave ddanails, GK has been In my garage shop, since May 2020, sitting like this :

Your inquiry has prompted me to up my resolution to get at this project.
                                And now that not hot-humid in garage, I make more resolution to work on it most every day that am home (not with grandkids) at least a little, and one day a week for at least a couple hours. Hey, that might cut into my coffee shop visits. Hey, might cut into my disc golfing. Hey, might cut into morning photo walks on the pier.

Need to make significant progress before get into leaf raking season, cuz after that will be cold.

And now that I have told all you, I had better keep at it.

TO review:

Got cylinders measured at a motorsport machinist shop, deemed to be in spec.
                                Had them lightly hone the cylinders.

I have a complete gasket set (OEM).

Got a set of replacement pistons (Thanks again Mr Kochic.)

Got new piston rings (CruisinImage as recommend here).

Got a replacement head. ANd then had valves lapped in, and rebuilt with new seals (Thanks Mr Steve).

Last edited by Redman; 09-20-2021, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X