Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New '82 GS300L owner -- guess there aren't too many of these around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New '82 GS300L owner -- guess there aren't too many of these around?

Hi everyone -
    New owner of a 1982 GS300L. Bought it about a month ago, mainly because it was one of the cheapest bike around that had a valid certificate of inspection. Haven't been a fan of Suzukis before (always preferred the look of Hondas) but this one is growing on me

Nice comfortable seat and riding position, and I like the classic look. Apparently it was originally red (according to the registration), but the owner rattlecanned it metallic blue, which I love. No clearcoat, so I have to be super careful gassing up, so I'll need to do something about that!

Seems like the GS300L isn't too common of a model, but it's similar to the 250 from what I understand? I'm planning on replacing o-rings and things in the carbs, so I'll need to get that figured out soon. If there's one thing I've learned on this forum, it's to watch out for o-rings, stator, and regulator/rectifier!

82 GS300L.jpg

Got interested in motorcycles from the mechanical aspect... I wanted something to tinker around on without spending a lot of money, so I bought a 1970 Honda CB100 in super rough shape and spent a few years getting her running. I've learned a ton about motorcycles in the process -- definitely easier working on a simple bike like this!

Decided to get my license last year (really great training program here in Manitoba, Canada), and was lucky to borrow my brother's Triumph Thruxton for a month. Very nice bike to ride. Very responsive.

This year, I picked up the GS300L, and got a few weeks of riding before she started giving me some issues... you can read about them here:
    Right cylinder not firing '82 GS300L

Maybe you've got some tips

-Hamcake
    1982 GS300L
    1970 CB100
    1970 CB100

I haven't seen many of those, Hamcake! welcome to the site!

an overall reference is
    All Suzuki Motorcycles Ever Built

I've got a couple of 400 twins myself..being similar to yours with the "gsx" engine (4 valves per cylinder, screw tappet adjustment etc) You'll find quite a few parts in common with other Suzukis of the era but some will be specific to yours and unobtainable too, so keep your eye open for parts bikes with good "body bits".
    When you need it for part numbers or diagrams to help assembly, this is my goto: download the larger images. Note the alternates and bikes that share the same parts etc etc..
    CMSNLparts

YOU will want the Suzuki shop manual for 250s and the 300 from basscliff's here:

BikeCliff's Website

Comment

Thanks! Yes, I've been reading through that manual... It's written in such a clumsy and complicated way though, but I've found a few other things online that do a better job of explaining things.
      And thanks for the tip about CMSNL. I'd been looking for specs on the intake o-ring, and it had some dimensions listed - so I'm checking fitment with the gentleman at cycleorings.com, who appears to be pretty famous on this forum

Funny to read their description of the 300:
      This was a custom model, launched as the GL300LF at the same time the GL400LF and was virtually identical to it’s larger sibling sharing the same engine, chassis and running gear, the only real difference was the displacement. Why Suzuki did this is not clear, why have two identical machines, costing the same to produce, only with one having less power?

The models were both DOHC eight-valve engines with a six-speed gearbox. These range of GS DOHC twins were very strong and reliable, at the expense of weight, the crankshafts alone weighed nearly as much as a complete 50cc Moped!

But Suzuki built it’s reputation on bullet proof DOHC four stroke engines, one that still carries weight (of the metaphorical kind!) today

-Hamcake
      1982 GS300L
      1970 CB100
      1970 CB100

Comment

Originally posted by Hamcake View Post
        Funny to read their description of the 300:

-Hamcake

This was a custom model, launched as the GL300LF at the same time the GL400LF and was virtually identical to it’s larger sibling sharing the same engine, chassis and running gear, the only real difference was the displacement. Why Suzuki did this is not clear, why have two identical machines, costing the same to produce, only with one having less power?

Various manufacturers did that to sell differing models into various markets to align with taxation or insurance classes. The lower capacity engines were a cut-throat market and making changes to sell a few extra models was worth it.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Ah, okay that makes some sense now. I know in the early days of Japanese motorcycle imports, there was some careful selection of engine size. I think that's why you see bikes like the CB100 that's "99 cc", probably so they're "under 100cc"

I found out how to embed pictures using Imgur.com, so here's some more/better shots of the bike.

Hope to get more soon, once I get her back on the road!

-Hamcake
          1982 GS300L
          1970 CB100
          1970 CB100

Comment

That's in nice condition! It really shouldn't need much to tune that up!

Be careful with the carbs-they're different than most of ours with that "filter screen" being a unique feature? (part 58 on the fiche)

Drum brakes on the front wheel are interesting being 1982 model...

Missing the badges on the sidecovers....I know some think it's an improvement in looks but overall, it's too bad if they're lost. It'd be worth asking the person you got it from if they are kicking around.

Comment

Looks good, Ham.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Hi gorminrider, hi Steve
                Yeah, I'm taking the carbs apart right now, as result of the dead cylinder issue in having, and have noticed some variations from the carb rebuild guide.

That mesh (I've only got one), and the pilot jets (I think) are routed to a different spot.

Yeah you'd think she'd have a disc brake, but oh well. Little bit less stopping power never hurt anyone, right

-Hamcake
                1982 GS300L
                1970 CB100
                1970 CB100

Comment

Just depends on the design - there have been several very good drum brakes over the years.
                  They do reward more attention to detail though, to keep them in good order.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                    Just depends on the design - there have been several very good drum brakes over the years.
                    They do reward more attention to detail though, to keep them in good order.
                    Might even make the bike more desirable to the "I wanna do a build" people...they seem to prefer the 60's 70's overall and this has the look.

Comment

Nice shot of the Ukrainian Church on Munroe, cool building. My wife grew up north of the tracks in the '60's - lot's of Ukrainians... and the best perogies.
                      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Working...
                      X