Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach response question

Quickie question about Tach response
    I have nice throttle response, however it seems like there is a definite lag in tach catching up with real time RiPeMz, I can't imagine this is a normal. I know the gear @ valve cover is in fine condition (saw it when doing valves) I removed the end going into the tach itself and the cable was fairly square not perfect but by no means a circle, anyone have any pointers to determine the cause of the problem? I'm hoping its the $20 cable, but don't know how to tell!
    1983 GS650GL Not running when I bought it. runs great now
    Engine- Carb Cleaned, Valve Adj, Ignition Mod, balanced carbs, Polished/Painted engine, Exhaust wrapped
    Frame & Wheels painted, rebuild brakes/masters, Fixed Tach/Spedo, Sonic Springs in the Front, New handle bars w/bar end mirror/turn signals
    Still To-Do?
    Fuel sending unit, Fuel tank paint job?, LED headlight?, Seat falling apart, Solutions?, Changing look of the rear of bike, Seat, Brake/turn-signals

Sluggish movement of the needles on speedo and tach are becoming more common.
    Not had it myself, so far, but others have had good results stripping the gauge head and carefully lubing a couple of points.
    Otoh, with regular use, the tacho might start getting more responsive.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

couple or three points
      ...if the cog is ON the valve cover, you want the right thickness in the valve cover gasket.
      ...you said the cable is a bit rounded. It need be the right cable and fit well. "rounding" does suggest a loose fit. Pack a toothpick in there, break it off and see if that helps.
      ...these devices use magnetism to work. They can lose it over time.
      ...since yours isn't making grinding noises and is still working somewhat, as to opening it up? well there's not a lot you can do unless it's full of insect droppings and whatall. ( I've had a tiny crab-spider living in one of mine-no idea how it got in) Tiny drops of oil (use a pin to apply a drop at the bearings) are unlikely to change much but will make you feel better. Squirting witch-doctor fluids in randomly through the bulb holes or wherever is a bad idea.

Comment

An update on my gauge situation,
        I decided to take apart the gauge to see what I could see First I found one of the two studs on the gauge was broken from the inside of the gauge nothing a little JB weld didn't solve. Beyond that it was a bit of a pain to take apart seperating the ring that retains the bezel was a pain it's crimped so it took a bit but I worked a screw driver around to pull the lip up and was able to separate the bezel/retaining ring from the gauge. The inside was clean but when I manually moved the needle and let go it returned to zero very slow. I used a clock oil on a dropper bottle to apply oil to all running surface and worked them around a bit after working it a bit it started to free up and traveled smoothly threw the gauge back in to confirm the oiling did the trick, have a nice quick and crisp throttle response now. Should have taken some pictures but I wasn't going into it knowing this was going to work so well.
        Engine- Carb Cleaned, Valve Adj, Ignition Mod, balanced carbs, Polished/Painted engine, Exhaust wrapped
        Frame & Wheels painted, rebuild brakes/masters, Fixed Tach/Spedo, Sonic Springs in the Front, New handle bars w/bar end mirror/turn signals
        Still To-Do?
        Fuel sending unit, Fuel tank paint job?, LED headlight?, Seat falling apart, Solutions?, Changing look of the rear of bike, Seat, Brake/turn-signals

Comment

Originally posted by DrDankNuggs View Post
          An update on my gauge situation....................
          Very cool. Thanks for the update.

I've replaced the cables on mine so I guess cracking them open is the next step. The tach is slow to respond, but a knock on the gauge gets it working. If I'm riding over 50mph the speedo is useless. It just goes wild waving back and forth from 40 to 120.

Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
            Very cool. Thanks for the update.

I've replaced the cables on mine so I guess cracking them open is the next step. The tach is slow to respond, but a knock on the gauge gets it working. If I'm riding over 50mph the speedo is useless. It just goes wild waving back and forth from 40 to 120.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy4x8a9Pu3Q
            I still need to Jb weld the stud back in gauge (I need to take the gauge apart again ) so this time I'll take some pictures of the process to help anyone who may have the same issue, it's the least I could do with how much this site has helped me!
            Still To-Do?

Comment

Originally posted by DrDankNuggs View Post
              ....I need to take the gauge apart again ) so this time I'll take some pictures of the process to help anyone who may have the same issue, it's the least I could do with how much this site has helped me!
              Yes! Please and thank you. I’ve been wanting to take my tach apart to clean the face and colored lenses. I’ve read instructions but a pictorial would really help me hopefully not botch the job. I’ve been botching a lot of jobs lately.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Finally got around to taking the tach apart again, took all the pictures I'm going to put it all together in a concise post hopefully get it up tomorrow.
                Still To-Do?

Comment

Working...
                X