Welp, not a good end to the day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welp, not a good end to the day.

Well, children, it finally happened to me. On my way home from work tonight a lady on a Star motorcycle decided to pull out from a cross-street and turn left, I locked the brakes and collided with her. I'm basically totally ok, I was wearing all the gear, bumps and bruises but relatively unharmed. She has a badly broken leg, but otherwise seemed ok.

My beloved 1100 ES is, sadly, totalled. Bent forks, bent frame, precious Yosh header crushed, all the oil vacated out the stator side, other various and sundry damage. I have some pics but I don't have the energy or will to load them on now. I'm a bit gutted. Filed a claim with insurance already, we'll see what pans out there. I should have some nice parts for sale soon.....

Thank God I was wearing all the gear, jacket is rashed on the left side, armored pants rashed, and a small but significant rash on the side chin-bar of the helmet.

Be careful out there, friends.....and wear your gear!
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Glad you are able to tell us about it! Bikes can be replaced, people not so much!
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

You'd think a fellow rider would spot another bike coming.
      Man, glad you're relatively OK.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I had time to register disbelief that it was another motorcycle doing it to me, heh.
        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Jesus, man. Glad you are okay. Really sorry about the bike. I hate to say that I hope she learned a lesson, especially since we all make mistakes, but damn-doing in one of your own kind is not cool at all.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Geeze, that sucks. Good that you're OK, sad that she isn't. As someone who's been there and done that, I can say that even if your insurance bought you a matching motorcycle, new helmet and new gear, it will never be the same. You will never feel the same way about riding. Always have that memory in your mind, and wonder if today is the day it happens again.
            Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
            1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
            1981 GS1100E

Comment

Glad you’re Ok. Sorry man. That sucks. ATGATT!
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

That stinks, Greg.
                Glad you survived with only minor scrapes.
                Good luck with the insurance company.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Also sorry to hear about your mishap. Also glad you're basically okay. Maybe your motorcycle is not totaled. Make a list, I'm sure we can rebuild it one way or the other. I have wheels and forks... Hopefully you don't get jacked by the insurance company...
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I'm glad you are okay and I'll say good on you for the gear. Let us know how the repairs go if you decide to do that.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Sad news. Good that you walked away.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Oh no! What a mess. Sorry man. Super glad you're physically whole. Shame about the bike though. Hope insurance writes you a big, fat check.
                        Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                        Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Motorcycle on motorcycle? And you didn't know each other? Wow...that is one unlucky crash!
                          Glad you are ok and good on ya for having gear on...your state has no helmet law, correct?
                          No signature

Comment

sorry to hear that for both of you. Best of luck with whatever you (and the insurance company) decide to do.
                            Patriots Defence Force MC Club
                            '81 GS1000G
                            2015 Rocket 3 Touring (sold)
                            2018 Indian Roadmaster (sold)
                            2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
                            1997 Honda Goldwing GL1500 (sadly, written off after a slide down the road - September 2023)

Comment

Man, that sucks. Glad you're ok.
                              If one can mourn the bike it generally means that the rider is well enough to do so, which is good....
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                              X