Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hot is too hot for a 1979 GS850

Dear All,
    I am on the final stint of rebuilding my trusty old Gs850 from 1979, and we are down to carb tuning. That is not an easy task, as I have outfitted the bike with a 4 in 1 exhaust and pod filters (Yes I know ).
    At the moment I am taking small 10 min rides, rejetting based on previous rides learnings, and riding out again.
    After the first 10 min ride, and after standing still with the engine shut off for another 5 minuttes, I noticed that the engine was very hot. The headers were cold to the touch, but the engine block it self was untouchable. I took a reading with my barbecue thermometer and it read 103 degrees Celcius / 220 degrees Fahrenheit.

Is that fine or am I in trouble?

Sounds normal. There is a lot of steel and aluminum in that engine which will retain a lot of heat.
    Where the bike is most at risk of overheating is if you allow it to run while stationary for a long time with no airflow. Us a fan in front of the engine when carb syncing and such for example.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

When they get too hot the idle speed starts to wander... that’s about the only sign.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        When they get too hot the idle speed starts to wander... that’s about the only sign.
        They get a bit grumbly, too. And clanky, did I mention clanky?
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

When do you get weather in Ireland to be able to get it that hot...???
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

When they import it from England !
            1978 GS750(E) I think

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              When do you get weather in Ireland to be able to get it that hot...???
              Not often here, but these bikes spent a lot of time stuck in London traffic for hours on end, on some of the hottest days of the years involved, so I know how uncomfortably hot they can get, even if not in Arizona, for example.
              Having said that, the fitment of a more reliable oil temp gauge has alerted me to some hotter than desirable temperatures with the fairing on, and last year's purchase of an oil cooler to address this very thing has prompted me to look closer at the fitment of same.
              The XJ came with a factory fitted oil cooler and I've never had cause to suspect that it's running a bit hot at any time.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by DKGS850 View Post
                Dear All,
                I am on the final stint of rebuilding my trusty old Gs850 from 1979, and we are down to carb tuning. That is not an easy task, as I have outfitted the bike with a 4 in 1 exhaust and pod filters (Yes I know ).
                At the moment I am taking small 10 min rides, rejetting based on previous rides learnings, and riding out again.
                After the first 10 min ride, and after standing still with the engine shut off for another 5 minuttes, I noticed that the engine was very hot. The headers were cold to the touch, but the engine block it self was untouchable. I took a reading with my barbecue thermometer and it read 103 degrees Celcius / 220 degrees Fahrenheit.

Is that fine or am I in trouble?
                To me 103 C does seem a little high considering your thermometer may not of been completely submerged in the oil. My 831100 never reads more than 85 c on the digital gauge, but I do live in Canada . I am concerned that you might be running too lean. Have you checked the plugs ? Hopefully not white.
                1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Not scientific - nor a best practice use of the laser temp gauge - but perhaps useful...?

<strong>
                  Currently in the Stable :
                  2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                  1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                  - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Working...
                  X